hypex ncore - Page 205 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th February 2012, 01:44 PM   #2041
diyAudio Member

Just ordered 2 x N - Core 400 for a friend . Back for more later !
Old 11th February 2012, 02:34 PM   #2042
jtwrace is offline jtwrace  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by earflappin View Post
Speaking of cases, has anyone completed a design available for purchase?
Yes, it seems as cOz is working on it. See this thread: Hypex Ncore Chassis by cOz
Old 11th February 2012, 02:42 PM   #2043
cOz is offline cOz  United States
diyAudio Member

Do you all think there is much interest in a {standard 19" rack dimension} case of 5-7 channels in which the amps/PS are mounted card style? That is one project that I was thinking about after I complete the launch of the mono case.
Old 11th February 2012, 02:50 PM   #2044
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cOz View Post
Do you all think there is much interest in a {standard 19" rack dimension} case of 5-7 channels in which the amps/PS are mounted card style? That is one project that I was thinking about after I complete the launch of the mono case.
Not for me but I'm a 2 ch guy. I will say that when I did the Class D cases only 10% were used for > 2 channels.
Old 11th February 2012, 02:53 PM   #2045
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
found this on the Hypex website. it's worth reading IMO: http://www.hypex.nl/docs/papers/AES123BP.pdf
Old 11th February 2012, 04:13 PM   #2046
Octavia is offline Octavia  United States
diyAudio Member

Stig, sounds like the N Core is a real winner on your subwoofers. What about on your B&G RD75's? Do you like them there as well? Are there any amps you have tried that you really liked on the RD75's? PLEASE would love to know. Thanks.
Old 11th February 2012, 04:23 PM   #2047
diyAudio Member

Audio Catalog how about a AL-299B case for the ncore monobloc of course, seems good value

Last edited by brian t; 11th February 2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 11th February 2012, 05:32 PM   #2048
diyAudio Member

Thanks Earflappin

Re NOS DAC's. When you build a classical R2R DAC, running it at low sampling rates will reduce the energy contributed by glitches and hence produce clearly lower distortion. But note that we're talking about reducing a known drawback of R2R DACs, not making something better than alternative technologies that do not suffer glitches (i.e. sigmadelta).

There's something more important going on though. NOS DAC's cause a 2dB response droop at 20kHz (a sin(x)/x function). A friend of mine who's a mastering engineer once got very much hooked on an Altmann DAC. I explained to him how he could simulate the sin(x)/x droop using his editing software. He afterwards confirmed that indeed, a "normal" DAC with the simulated droop indeed recreated the euphonic "magic" of the NOS DAC exactly. He's now using a well engineered normal DAC again (a Bricasti, very much worth checking out) and said he might use the "NOS simulator" as a mastering trick occasionally.

In other words, NOS is just a way of introducing a euphonic frequency response aberration. All the philosophies intended to imply that somehow NOS does something "better" than a properly filtered converter is poppycock.

What would be the Ncore of DAC's? No idea. I have some serious plans to dive into a PWM based DAC, consisting of a modulator like the one described in http://www.hypex.nl/docs/papers/AES120BP.pdf and using a FIR type DAC for improved HF jitter tolerance. Although I'm aiming for much higher measured performance than even the ESS chips, I think that one of those or some other decent chip with a smartly designed I/V is not to be sneezed at. I'm halfway through the design of an AD1955 based board with a very fancy I/V (loads of feedback, as you can imagine), I have high hopes for it.
Old 11th February 2012, 05:37 PM   #2049
diyAudio Member

@Earflappin,

I'd love to hear any A/B comparisons of the nCore with your OTL. I have an Atma-Sphere S30 that I have loved but is a bit underpowered for my new speakers (SP Tech Minis, also a waveguide but around 87dB efficient).

Also, I grabbed a Class D Audio CDA-254 to tide me over until the next batch of nCores are released. Does it look like I'd be able to use the Class D power supply with the nCore modules pretty easily? Would be great to be able to save some cash on the PSU, at least for now.
Old 11th February 2012, 05:39 PM   #2050
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoeiii View Post
@Earflappin,

I'd love to hear any A/B comparisons of the nCore with your OTL. I have an Atma-Sphere S30 that I have loved but is a bit underpowered for my new speakers (SP Tech Minis, also a waveguide but around 87dB efficient).

Also, I grabbed a Class D Audio CDA-254 to tide me over until the next batch of nCores are released. Does it look like I'd be able to use the Class D power supply with the nCore modules pretty easily? Would be great to be able to save some cash on the PSU, at least for now.
If you are tight on money I think you would be best to purchase one PS and use two nCores from it rather then use a PS that isn't designed for the nCores.

Hide this!Advertise here!