hypex ncore - Page 200 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2012, 10:49 AM   #1991
diyAudio Member

There is a very good reason why the word "foolproof" contains the word FOOL! Regards
Old 10th February 2012, 10:58 AM   #1992
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPa View Post
Any idea when that might hit your production batches?
Considering that the current batch has sold out it's likely going to be the next.
Old 10th February 2012, 11:07 AM   #1993
jtwrace is offline jtwrace  United States
diyAudio Member

What is the ideal enclosure size from a technical standpoint?
Old 10th February 2012, 11:12 AM   #1994
3lviz is offline 3lviz  Finland
diyAudio Member

So as long as I keep the SMPS and the amplifier connected, the 10 minute rule mentioned in the manual applies? If that is the case wouldn't it be wise to mention it in the SMPS600 manual for the current revision of the power supply? Not all know this and not all read this forum and some may miss piece of information. And in the future the SMPS600 boards might change owner and the new owner may be do not know this and might hurt himself.

Last edited by 3lviz; 10th February 2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10th February 2012, 11:16 AM   #1995
diyAudio Member

The "10 minute rule" (or the requirement that you discharge the caps) only applies when somehow the supply was powered up without the amp attached. If you just wire them up before powering up there's no rule.

When someone builds a regular linear amplifier and one tests the supply without the amp, I should think it normal for them to discharge the caps before continuing as well. What's so mysterious about it?

Another item I'd like to add is that when you draw sparks when plugging the connector in, you're also seriously damaging the connector which isn't engineered for this. You need quite special terminal materials and plating for that. There's no way you can design around that. I can probably prevent the module from becoming unoperable after an accidental hot-plug but I can't possibly prevent all damage. So I will have the manual updated to reflect this.

Last edited by Bruno Putzeys; 10th February 2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10th February 2012, 11:39 AM   #1996
3lviz is offline 3lviz  Finland
diyAudio Member

I am just trying to clear out things, so nobody gets hurt or in worst case accidently dies just because he did everything mentioned in the manual, but didn't do something not mentioned there, such as discharge the power supply, which is procedure apparently known by "every" DIYer except me and not mentioned anywhere. My sole purpose of finding out how to exactly handle the SMPS600 without dying. Nothing more.

I thought the 10 minute rule also applied when the SMPS600 is connected to nc400 module. So, that is not the case and that is now cleared out.

Last edited by 3lviz; 10th February 2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10th February 2012, 12:04 PM   #1997
ChrisPa is offline ChrisPa  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Putzeys View Post
I can probably prevent the module from becoming unoperable after an accidental hot-plug but I can't possibly prevent all damage.
Totally agreed and understood
Old 10th February 2012, 12:05 PM   #1998
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lviz View Post
I am just trying to clear out things, so nobody gets hurt or in worst case accidently dies
Ah sorry I thought you were referring to the amp plugging discussion (others were). Yes as far as the primary capacitor is concerned, indeed you should wait sufficiently long before touching any part of the primary circuit. That is a matter of personal safety.
Old 10th February 2012, 12:17 PM   #1999
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_push_pull View Post
no report after 9 hours...
now is there a possibility that all NCORE owners are abducted by aliens? it would explain a lot of things.
Sorry for the delay in getting my review up. I was only able to listen for a few minutes last night by the time I got the ncores installed in my main system. One module had a loose cap which was causing noise at idle and it took me awhile to troubleshoot. I will be able to do some extended listening today and get a post up. My initial impressions are extremely positive.
Old 10th February 2012, 12:29 PM   #2000
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by earflappin View Post
Sorry for the delay in getting my review up. I was only able to listen for a few minutes last night by the time I got the ncores installed in my main system. One module had a loose cap which was causing noise at idle and it took me awhile to troubleshoot. I will be able to do some extended listening today and get a post up. My initial impressions are extremely positive.
Someone is casting voodoo to the ncore release ...

Hide this!Advertise here!