hypex ncore - Page 18 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd June 2011, 09:15 AM   #171
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Putzeys View Post
The amplifier modules would come with cables that have connectors on one end only, the SMPS would be shipped with another set of cables that have connectors fitted on both ends. But the latter part hinges on some agreement on how long those cables should be.
Hi Bruno,
First of all, its great that you take the temperature on the DIY community before you finalize your DIY oriented module. This is how proper product development is done!

Concerning the connector types, would it be possible to provide the bare connectors with the modules as the choice of cables may be a parameter some likes to work with? (Personally I do, of course ) -It would also engage any who wants to place the modules as they please in one or more chassis...

Im all in for banana-plug connectors

best regards,
Joakim
Old 22nd June 2011, 09:39 AM   #172
diyAudio Member

+bare connectors in the package, no problem.

(Strictly speaking the contacts are supposed to be crimped but you can solder wires to them. For the purists, Molex crimping tools aren't too expensive)
Old 22nd June 2011, 02:28 PM   #173
cOz is offline cOz  United States
diyAudio Member

How will we know when some of the new technology has trickled into the other products?
Old 22nd June 2011, 02:52 PM   #174
UrSv is offline UrSv  Sweden
diyAudio Member

What about a jumper for the mute on/off on board in order not to have to handle it off board?
Old 22nd June 2011, 02:57 PM   #175
diyAudio Member

Quote:
How will we know when some of the new technology has trickled into the other products?
I think many OEMs will be proud to use the tchnology and they will tell it without being asked at all (like it is the case with some UsD users already).

Regards

Charles
Old 22nd June 2011, 03:10 PM   #176
diyAudio Member

I think cOz' question was about Ncore derived refinements arriving in the UcD series. The UcD250LP already has them, the rest still has to be done.

@UrSv: just tie the mute pin to ground.
Old 22nd June 2011, 03:34 PM   #177
diyAudio Member

Default Bruno:

I think the plan you stated sounds perfect, and should please the vast majority of DIY builders. Thanks!
Old 22nd June 2011, 04:20 PM   #178
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Putzeys View Post
Is everyone OK with the current Mogami cable?
works fine for me. I also like the screw terminals for the outputs.
screw terminal is OK for many of the other connections as well (does take up more real estate...) Microfit are nice, not especially DIY friendly, but if one is supplied, and replacements are generally available it is not any problem.

thanks!
Old 23rd June 2011, 07:05 AM   #179
diyAudio Member

Bruno,
When I read this my antennae went vertical:
Quote:
A class D amplifier gives you something on the order of 100kHz of bandwidth to do error control in. With a linear design you can readily achieve 10 to 100 times that. If I were to let the kind of control theory as used in Ncore loose on an amplifier with a 10MHz loop bandwidth people would really quickly learn to state distortion in decibels instead of percents and counting the zeros. You could probably string a hundred such amps end to end and still not hear a difference between input and output. Why no such amps actually turn up is because control theory, for most, is a black art.
For a couple months, I've been considering higher order control loops (3rd-4th order) for class-A(B) amps. Clipping and start-up stability are, of course, major design issues with such arrangements. My thinking only got me to pre-clamping (like Bob Cordell's Klever Klipper) and out-of-bounds detection to initiate a state-clearing mute (to be used at start-up as well). The concept of dynamically modifying the loop to fall back to a stable lower-order loop was new to me when I read your N-Core white paper. However, for a linear amplifier, this does not seem as easy and straightforward as
Quote:
some arrangement in the modulator may detect clipping and simply remove a few poles from the loop until the coast is clear...
when the gain crossover frequency must be kept below some point (1-10MHz let's say).

I am VERY interested in how you would approach continuous stability, during start-up and clipping, in a high-order-loop class-A(B) amp. Any tips/hints/topologies/circuits/references you can provide now would be invaluable to me. (And I hope that a practical demonstration amp and accompanying article are in your future.)
Old 23rd June 2011, 07:20 AM   #180
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thune View Post
Any tips/hints/topologies/circuits/references you can provide now would be invaluable to me. (And I hope that a practical demonstration amp and accompanying article are in your future.)
You might see if the Ncore patent application supplies inspiration. I'd love to make and publish a demonstration design of a class AB "feedback monster" to supplement the Linear Audio article (an encore of extrema so to speak) but to keep my sanity I have decided to take a FIFO approach towards my spare time, ie. think very carefully if I want or need to do it and then stick it at the end of the line. This FIFO already contains three years' worth of Grimm Audio stuff (an MFB sub for the LS1, a compressor, an EQ, a mic pre, a discrete true 192/24 bit AD/DA) so all I can do is to schedule any class AB related activities after that. I do hope that by that time someone else will have cracked it because it's a lot easier to do than a decent class D.

Last edited by Bruno Putzeys; 23rd June 2011 at 07:25 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!