hypex ncore - Page 171 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th January 2012, 07:02 AM   #1701
jmbulg is offline jmbulg  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Peter View Post
Yes, if you order this week you will be sure to be delivered from the January manufactured batch.
And after that, do you know when the next batch is planned ? (Just to know if I need to decide betweein speeding up casings or be patient later)
Old 18th January 2012, 08:02 AM   #1702
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbulg View Post
And after that, do you know when the next batch is planned ? (Just to know if I need to decide betweein speeding up casings or be patient later)
We are working on the third manufacturing batch....
Old 18th January 2012, 09:41 AM   #1703
diyAudio Member

Default pre for nc

Quote:
Originally Posted by David dP View Post
Very interested in building an amp based upon the nCore...

Could anyone suggest a DIY preamp circuit that is a good match for the nCore, that can take both unbalanced and balanced inputs and has balanced outputs ?

I'm open to all suggestions : passive, active, SS, tubes, transformers, anything goes as long as it is sonically on par with the nCore...

As far as input selector and volume control are concerned, I think I'll use the remote-controlled Dantimax kits (Input2 and RelVol3, with Control2), unless someone has a better suggestion...

Thanks in advance for your advice !

David
Hi David,
I donīt know the dantimax stuff but i sure looks interesting for building something with good functionality. They seem to be made for specific attenuators and have no idea of whether they are good. I have read that the quality fo the attenuator should be important, but have no personal experience though.

Regarding the line stage function, there are quite a few to pick from, and the right choice for you probably comes down to what sound you like. I guess that the ncore is very transparent so if you want the amp to have a sound, it probably needs to come from the pre section...

A good tube circuitry is probably a good thing if you like to make a tubey fingerprint and like the possibility to roll tubes for adjusting the sound. If you like to stay on most of the time, then go for a transistor circuitry. These will also enable you to work with safer voltages and use a greater variety of voltage regulation which probably is the more important part of the pre...

Personally I would consider to try an avondale line stage board or even something based on the naim topology, as this is what I like, but there are probably many other and equally good alternatives out there.

Please report your findings when you get that far

cheers,
Old 18th January 2012, 02:35 PM   #1704
diyAudio Member

For those who have already an Ncore with connectors: do you think it is possible to fit it into a tube with an internal diameter of 10cm; not centered necessarily and it is not necessary to plug the connectors at the end but I would them connect right from the beginning before fitting the module onto the plate. Hope I'm clear, my fear is that the connector and cables which part sideway make the module "wider" than 10 cm.
Thanks.
Old 18th January 2012, 02:41 PM   #1705
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Gets pretty tight. You would have to have the leads do a very tight bend.
Old 18th January 2012, 02:47 PM   #1706
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
Gets pretty tight. You would have to have the leads do a very tight bend.
Thanks;

Alternative is to bend leads doward a little bit towards the plate and go out "below" the tube which ends 2.1 cm above the amp base (not sure I am clear).
The connector end more or less 2.3cm above the amp base ?
Old 18th January 2012, 02:55 PM   #1707
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matjans View Post
The connector end more or less 2.3cm above the amp base ?
As far as I can measure, yes.
Old 18th January 2012, 04:37 PM   #1708
diyAudio Member

@ jmbulg: I also looked at that. You are looking at 101.6mm pipe, no? I found the SMPS600 to be more of a problem. See attached quick CAD drawing. That is the SMPS600 on 5mm stand-offs (45mm high). The problem you have here is that you still need a base, and then there are the stand-off's leads (if you screw them in from the top). A thin plate with screws from the bottom is probably an easier alternative. Still very tight and you'll probably have to insulate the inner of the tube to make it "safe". Regarding the NC400 itself, I don't think that is an issue. If you bend the wires down like you've mentioned I think it should fit quite easily (given that the connectors are assembled before moving it into the tube).
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled.png (6.9 KB, 662 views)
Old 18th January 2012, 05:41 PM   #1709
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois K View Post
@ jmbulg: I also looked at that. You are looking at 101.6mm pipe, no? I found the SMPS600 to be more of a problem. See attached quick CAD drawing. That is the SMPS600 on 5mm stand-offs (45mm high). The problem you have here is that you still need a base, and then there are the stand-off's leads (if you screw them in from the top). A thin plate with screws from the bottom is probably an easier alternative. Still very tight and you'll probably have to insulate the inner of the tube to make it "safe". Regarding the NC400 itself, I don't think that is an issue. If you bend the wires down like you've mentioned I think it should fit quite easily (given that the connectors are assembled before moving it into the tube).
I will put the SMPS600 in a separate box. Will try to prepare a sketch of what I plan (not very usual and maybe too fancy)
Old 18th January 2012, 05:47 PM   #1710
diyAudio Member

Ok, so here is my plan.
Ncore in a tube
SMPS in a box
both across a wood (see wood color on one side),
mounted on a thick aluminium plate (other side)
and finished by some decorative "recall" of the other side (round heatsink in front of ncore and thick plate in front of SMPS box).
Cables in the wooden plat and then out at the end of the wooden base, nothing visible.

Plate slighty inclined towards the back to recall my audiophysics speakers ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ncore1.jpg (50.7 KB, 654 views)
File Type: jpg ncore2.jpg (42.9 KB, 631 views)

Last edited by jmbulg; 18th January 2012 at 05:58 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!