hypex ncore - Page 168 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th January 2012, 10:28 PM   #1671
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_push_pull View Post
you did not get it so I'll explain again.
it makes sense to compare the NC to any known reference, be it UCD or anything else. saying "NC has a wider sound stage compared to amp X" tells a whole different story than "it sounds better than amp X".
anyway, reality tells us that we (me and you) are not going to get what we're expecting (see above posts for an explanation).
I got it perfectly
What I try to explain is that I am more interested at the moment in a comparison between Ncore and whatever "reference" except UCD, because I know UCD, and I know that Ncore will sound better than UCD, so I think basically we don't disagree that much
Old 16th January 2012, 11:32 PM   #1672
OllBoll is offline OllBoll  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I asked before but I think it was lost in the thread, I'm re-asking here instead of mailing since it might interest others too:

If I've understood correctlyThe NCore needs the SMPS600, it cannot run on the UcD400 SMPS since it needs lower voltage rails also. The question is: can the (future revised edition) UcD400 run on the SMPS600?

I'm considering doing a 3x UcD400 + 2x NCore on a single SMPS600 since I won't go anywhere near 600W and if it works it would save me money and space =)
Old 16th January 2012, 11:57 PM   #1673
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllBoll View Post
I asked before but I think it was lost in the thread, I'm re-asking here instead of mailing since it might interest others too:

If I've understood correctlyThe NCore needs the SMPS600, it cannot run on the UcD400 SMPS since it needs lower voltage rails also. The question is: can the (future revised edition) UcD400 run on the SMPS600?
Hypex states that the SMPS600 is specific for the Ncore amplifier, and the SMPS400 for the UCD400.
Both SMPS's however have the lower voltage rails of 21 VDC, so I guess that a UCD400 can run on an SMPS600 (just slightly higher voltages of +/-65V instead of +/-63V for the SMPS400).
Old 17th January 2012, 05:59 AM   #1674
diyAudio Member

You can certainly run the NC400 on an SMPS400. The only thing missing is the gate drive supply which the NC400 will provide itself when not externally supplied. This will double the idling losses but that would still leave you with lower losses than the UcD400HG.
Old 17th January 2012, 08:01 AM   #1675
mcds is offline mcds  Tuvalu
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticimagery View Post
Markus

Post #866 in this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter t View Post
at page 87.
Thanks muchly.
Old 17th January 2012, 08:50 AM   #1676
diyAudio Member

Default ncore in Stockholm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllBoll View Post
My fingers itched too much and I ordered a pair of modules... when they arrive I'll post my comparison against my Aleph Js. If someone here conveniently lives in Stockholm and wants to hear and review for themselves and (and post it here) they are welcome =)
Hi OllBoll, You´ve got mail

cheers,
Old 17th January 2012, 09:15 AM   #1677
diyAudio Member

Very interested in building an amp based upon the nCore...

Could anyone suggest a DIY preamp circuit that is a good match for the nCore, that can take both unbalanced and balanced inputs and has balanced outputs ?

I'm open to all suggestions : passive, active, SS, tubes, transformers, anything goes as long as it is sonically on par with the nCore...

As far as input selector and volume control are concerned, I think I'll use the remote-controlled Dantimax kits (Input2 and RelVol3, with Control2), unless someone has a better suggestion...

Thanks in advance for your advice !

David

Last edited by David dP; 17th January 2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 17th January 2012, 10:50 AM   #1678
diyAudio Member

Considering many of the actual owners of UCD based amplifiers are itching to switch to the oh-so-wondeful NCORE, my guess is some of these might be willing to sell old UCDs.

UCDs are perfectly fine for my design though, where power amplifier is not highly critical.

So if anywone is willing to sell UDCs + respective power supplies, I am willing to buy.

I would prefer then case-less. Folks probably anyway would want to recycle cases for the new NCOREs.

PM me please only.
Old 17th January 2012, 12:21 PM   #1679
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter t View Post
I got it perfectly
What I try to explain is that I am more interested at the moment in a comparison between Ncore and whatever "reference" except UCD, because I know UCD, and I know that Ncore will sound better than UCD, so I think basically we don't disagree that much
My two cents would be that since NCore and UCD are closely related, and you know the UCD well, a comparison between those two would be the most valuable comparison for you.
Old 17th January 2012, 12:33 PM   #1680
diyAudio Member

I do hope that people will post their impressions re Ncore vs. other amps. It's not because UcD and Ncore are of similar technological stock that this is anyting to go by sonically. One sounds like UcD, the other doesn't. I'm making fairly bold claims as to how Ncore compares to any amplifier. That it sounds better than UcD is stating the obvious.

Last edited by Bruno Putzeys; 17th January 2012 at 12:36 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!