Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2012, 12:41 PM   #1541
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjevans View Post

I still believe that audio is sound - not engineering. Spookily enough, that's what the word means. But I have enormous respect for Bruno and all the other audio pioneers because by engineering they are getting us closer and closer to the goal of reproducing sound.

andy
It's just that engineers happen to design all of the semiconductors, tubes and integrated circuits used in audio reproduction equipment based on technical objectives
Old 12th January 2012, 12:52 PM   #1542
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
The feeling put into the music by the musicians when they play is actually coded into frequencies and amplitudes, It's not a separate and unknown information channel subject to snake oil sellers. Their business is over since end of XX century.

If the amplifier preserves integrity of frequency and amplitude information, that's enough. It's much harder to preserve that information in speakers, and worse when interacting with walls, floors and ceilings. For years now, I have been testing my class D prototypes in a local club and in dozens of raves, with many kinds of small bands, jam sessions and djs. The feeling is definitely all in place if you do a few things right (multi-way eq and summing is actually what needs most work to get acceptable results).

Last edited by Eva; 12th January 2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12th January 2012, 01:03 PM   #1543
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

As a result of reading that interview, I have 2 questions for Bruno - 1) which Finnish folk bad was it that you produced the CD for in 1996, and 2) the speaker you built is being described as having "some of the speaker elements are installed backward, to cancel distortion" - would that have been an isobaric arrangement?
Old 12th January 2012, 01:08 PM   #1544
diyAudio Member

I have just about all of the Varttina, Hedningarna and Garmarna CDs, so I wonder if it was one of those?
Old 12th January 2012, 01:21 PM   #1545
diyAudio Member

First the disclaimer. I'm not sure if this Finnish folk album was something to be particularly proud of. I just happened to be there as a friend of some of the band. The only thing I knew was that if I'd let the original producer continue it would have been much worse which is why I decided to take over. Actually the guy was quite good at heavy metal but he didn't really understand folk. Also, don't expect it to be even remotely audiophile. It was done in a typical project studio of the '90s: Doubtful acoustics, a mackie desk, a stack of ADATs, one expensive mike and a lot of crappy ones and the best reverb they had was a Midiverb. The CD sounds exactly like it was made under those conditions.
Anyhow. It was Tarujen Saari's first album Helmiä ja Kuparikolikoita (Pearls & Pennies).

The speakers have four 6-inch woofers which have a significant amount of even harmonic distortion problems on account of some bit in the magnetic circuit that's just on the verge of saturating. So I turned 2 of them over. That helped quite a lot.

Last edited by Bruno Putzeys; 12th January 2012 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12th January 2012, 01:29 PM   #1546
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matjans View Post
On a somewhat different matter than pure tech, here's my sketchupped "artists" impression of a case. As you can see, I'm not that much of an artist.

Turns out that a mate of mine has a CNC router (diy) that "should" be able to do aluminium and he was actually happy to test it out somewhere in the (not so near) future.

Still a lot to be done, but I'm aiming for a kind of Linn Klimax look. Really cool. Sort of a sidewalk-tile (stoeptegel??) meets fondleslab meets klimax-esque thing(y).

Try searching google images for the linn klimax. I especially like the "roofed" connector section at the back. Sort of a cross reference to Linn (who I think started it) and Devialet (yeah right!). Don;t forget to add KLIMAX to the query in google if you have your filters set to none (NSFW results). W in this case may also be wife (not that I have one, but hey gf is almost wife sometimes).
Very nice job mattjans,

I like the "roof" as well, you've managed to keep it quite slim.

Shame though, judging by the feedback so far, the community here is happy to spend €300 on a single nCore module but can't be bothered to stick it in a worthy enclosure. Obviously there are always people who do appreciate a nice chassis but the numbers are just too small. I can play around with the design, and I applaud you for making an effort as well but I don't feel as if that's going to change anything about interest.

Richard
Old 12th January 2012, 01:34 PM   #1547
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Putzeys View Post
Actually the guy was quite good at heavy metal but he didn't really understand folk.
I wonder if that's why their latest record is more heavy metal-ish?

(well, I guess it is just another Finnish band turning into the trendy "heavy folk", or "Nordic Goth" wave band, in the vein of Nightwish and Northern Kings)

Quote:
The speakers have four 6-inch woofers which have a significant amount of even harmonic distortion problems on account of some bit in the magnetic circuit that's just on the verge of saturating. So I turned 2 of them over. That helped quite a lot.
Ah. A very pragmatic solution!
Old 12th January 2012, 01:36 PM   #1548
diyAudio Member

I've done that with my open baffle woofers, 2nd order distortion was reduced by almost 20 dB!
Old 12th January 2012, 01:40 PM   #1549
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suntechnik View Post
Also claims that PWM amp with switching frequency 300-450KHz can sound as good as HiEnd tube amp while some of tube amps have bandwidth up to 300KHz-500KHz is a an extremely optimistic approach (not realistic from a technic point of view to make it clear).
You are absolutely right. This is boring. Let's get out of here!
After all, there aren't enough Ncores for everyone at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardkrol View Post
Shame though, judging by the feedback so far, the community here is happy to spend €300 on a single nCore module but can't be bothered to stick it in a worthy enclosure. Obviously there are always people who do appreciate a nice chassis but the numbers are just too small. I can play around with the design, and I applaud you for making an effort as well but I don't feel as if that's going to change anything about interest.
Richard, I'm sure interest will rise as soon as the project takes shape!
I know I'm going to spend at least as much on my enclosures, I'm just not interested in a dual-mono setup.

On the same subject, I contacted HFX concerning the Micro Storage enclosure.

Click the image to open in full size.

In case someone is interested, they do ship without the logo so that's the good news.
Without all the PC-related paraphernalia, price is 150 euros each, so 300 for a pair of monoblocks which is affordable IMHO.
I know it's not going to be Hexateq quality stuff but it'll get the job done!

Bad news is that it's not tall enough.
Internal dimensions are 178 (width) x 212 (depth) x 44 (height) mm and, thus, fitting the SMPS600 in there is going to be a challenge, if at all possible..
HFX's support offer excellent communication, btw. Prompt replies, very helpful and friendly.

I'm still waiting on a custom case quote from VT4C. Will let you guys know.

Last edited by TheShaman; 12th January 2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12th January 2012, 01:42 PM   #1550
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to ackcheng
Richard,

To go for volume, we may have to make it more generic so other modules can use this chassis. You may also design it as part of the class A mono block with only the driver board stuck in this chassis and then design a matching lower part for the huge transformer and caps.

With CNC, you can easily come up with a beautiful chassis in demand.

Hide this!Advertise here!