hypex ncore - Page 127 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th January 2012, 05:12 PM   #1261
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juhleren View Post
Thanks CaféNoir,
It looks great and is definitely more to my liking, especially if it is cheaper than the mono enclosures too (two of them, I mean )
It's not my objective to make a cheap chassis. Buy an off the shelve 1U chassis and you're sorted.

It is my objective however to develop a chassis for the DIY community here whereby we offer something which is generally not available to DIY'ers albeight at a reasonable price. There are plenty of companies who produce somthing cheap and chearful, it's just my belief that the ncore deserves something more "appropriate".
Old 5th January 2012, 05:25 PM   #1262
HFGuy is offline HFGuy  Canada
diyAudio Member

A step up from the hifi2000 stuff would be unique.
Old 5th January 2012, 05:48 PM   #1263
diyAudio Member

I'll have a stab at drawing something over the weekend or so. Should get the conversation going....;-)
Old 5th January 2012, 06:11 PM   #1264
diyAudio Member

Does it make more sense to do a dual monoblock type chassis ? While spending 200 euros on a pair of monoblock chassis might put some off spending 100 euro per channel isn't bad at all. Should be able to get more bang for your chassis buck doing a dual mono ?

P.S. I vote for rack friendly chassis aka no tubular designs
Old 5th January 2012, 06:33 PM   #1265
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardkrol View Post
I'll have a stab at drawing something over the weekend or so. Should get the conversation going....;-)
Good news!
My personal preference is a cube-like case.
The arrangement I'm considering has PSU at the bottom and the Ncore module on the top (with a panel separating compartments).

I have attached a very rough sketch to give you guys an idea - though dimensions would need to be adjusted a bit (SMPS and NCore module were sketched based on their published dimensions).

IMHO these little cubes would look sexy if they were made hexacube-style and would also have room to spare for aux circuits - but ofc that's just my take!

In general, though, I think a mono-block design would interest more people.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cube_To_Publish_D.JPG (44.4 KB, 568 views)

Last edited by TheShaman; 5th January 2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 5th January 2012, 07:15 PM   #1266
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFGuy View Post
Does it make more sense to do a dual monoblock type chassis ? While spending 200 euros on a pair of monoblock chassis might put some off spending 100 euro per channel isn't bad at all. Should be able to get more bang for your chassis buck doing a dual mono ?

P.S. I vote for rack friendly chassis aka no tubular designs
Although a stereo version might be attractive to some people, I would expect the majority of DIY'ers to favour a mono version. Especially when active crossovers and/or multiple channels are involved. A stereo + a mono version would reduce volume and increase tooling cad/cam costs resulting in a higher price.

Should volume be sufficient then obviously the story changes.

With regards to a 2-tier cube style enclosure, this would involve cutting with rather large router bits to go that deep whilst controlling vibrations. This reduces available internal width due to the radii.

I think it's key to maintain clean, elegant and "simple" lines. This ensures production losses are kept at a minimum and we achieve maximum yield. Cutting times (and CAM costs) soon ramp up when working with many compartments, levels, notches etc.

Finish wise I'm think of a process whereby we bead blast, etch and colour anodize. Black or silver.

We could also do a CNC engraving of "nCore".

Inlet is to be decided by us. XLR standard neutrik 24mm presumably. Probably best to do a standard spaced WBT hole for the binding posts so everybody can fit their favourite version.

Preferably just a glasfibre light at the front and a mains swich at the back. Even the expensive "vandal" style switches look out of place in my opinion. A CNC'd button at the front to match the case would add quite a bit to the overall cost.

Just a few thoughts....

Richard

Last edited by richardkrol; 5th January 2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 5th January 2012, 08:02 PM   #1267
sp502 is offline sp502  Greece
diyAudio Member

Here is my contribution to the effort for a mono-block nCore amp case.
It is not typical, but neither nCore is
The top of the case is inclined, with a round window centered on top of the module,
in order to be easier to be seen without standing in front of the case.
One disadvantage is the placement of the connectors due to the angle
on the back side, but it is solvable...
Attached Images
File Type: png nCore4pre.png (23.7 KB, 535 views)
Old 5th January 2012, 08:05 PM   #1268
diyAudio Member

Can't wait to see what you come up with. Frankly if the look is right I'd spend some money to do a full 7.2 system in a sexy chassis. Unfortunately this would rule out my 2nd option of doing a fully actively power theater (requires like 21 channels)
Old 5th January 2012, 08:24 PM   #1269
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
it will be interesting to see how you'll get people to agree
personally I'm inclined towards the more classic lines but don't put a lot of weight on my opinion because I'll most likely go with the cheapest case.
Old 5th January 2012, 08:57 PM   #1270
diyAudio Member

Why is a SMPS power supply the prefered choise for the NCore? Isn't there a possibility it sounds better with "conventional" power supply?

Perhaps I have overlooked it, but can someone explain me what input stage has been used for the NCore? Is it op-amp like in the UCD modules?

Hide this!Advertise here!