hypex ncore - Page 115 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd January 2012, 05:43 PM   #1141
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
some of the links don't list prices. I'd be interested in the cheapest alternative, I'm not crazy about looks. as long as it's solid and has a thick-ish aluminum face plate it is ok for me.
Old 2nd January 2012, 05:51 PM   #1142
diyAudio Member

Hi,

This is my first post on diyAudio but I'm following this thread already from November onwards as I'm very interested in the new Hypex NCore modules. My intention is to "assemble" my own multi-channel (5) power amp. Finding a suitable chassis I find the most difficult. I've still not decided to "assemble" the 5 modules into one chassis or build 5 mono blocks... I case a nice DIY chassis would be come available for a NCore amp with the SMPS600, I definitely would be very interested to buy one (or better 5...).
Old 2nd January 2012, 06:16 PM   #1143
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StigErik View Post
Will use them for my B&G RD-75 ribbons. Thats a very very easy load to drive, 6 ohms flat.

I'm using UcD180HG with HxR now, and I am very satisfied with its sound quality. If the Ncore is significantly better, then this must be the very last amp I'll ever buy.
StigErik, I was intending to buy a couple of "UcD180HG with HxR" to drive my old Cabasse Sampan 311-M13 that have an efficiency of 94 dB/1W/1m... I really don't need the 200 watts of the Ncore on 8 ohms. These closed boxes are excellent in the higher frequencies, but a bit hard to drive in the bass range.

As you have tested both, what's your feeling of the extra plus for double the price? Especially in the bass area.
Old 2nd January 2012, 06:59 PM   #1144
diyAudio Member

I have not tested any of them in the bass range.
Old 2nd January 2012, 08:23 PM   #1145
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StigErik View Post
I have not tested any of them in the bass range.
I've just been looking at what "B&G RD-75 ribbons" look like, and that's fairly obvious now. Sorry for asking...

Well, I read your Whow post anyway; I guess the "more direct" feeling is linked to the control loop being upped by 20 dB.

And this, I wouldn't get by waiting for the other Ncore improvements to trickle down to UcD180HG

Should I stick with UcD180HG "sweetness" or will I be forever distressed
Old 2nd January 2012, 10:09 PM   #1146
ChrisPa is offline ChrisPa  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Bruno

I'm interested that the smps600 isn't regulated. So I'm wondering what your thoughts are on the use/possible benefits of a regulated supply with the nc400?

Or does the behaviour of the smps600 mean it is 'regulated' in certain areas/conditions?

I understand the the psrr of the nc400 is high, but every little helps

thanks
Old 2nd January 2012, 10:36 PM   #1147
bavmike is offline bavmike  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas View Post
We have used a bunch of cases from Par-metal. Seems like good products,but we have not tried many others
Par-Metal
I went with the all aluminum 2U slimline with 10mm face from hifi2000\Modu. They look pretty nice, and should have more then enough real estate inside with dimensions of 415mm wide 280mm deep and 80mm high. I will be making 2 amps, one for woofers, one for mid\tweets. They will be dual mono with 2 smps600's, 2 NC400's, a soft start module (mainly to run the push button switch) and a high end stepped attenuator mounted on the rear panel with a extension rod to the front panel knob to keep the wires short.

modushop.biz
Old 2nd January 2012, 10:41 PM   #1148
diyAudio Member

bavmike,

Just curious, why not just use a rocker switch rather than the push button switch? The rocker switch wouldn't require the soft start and would be much less work. I know you must have a very good reason, but I am just missing it.
Old 2nd January 2012, 10:50 PM   #1149
bavmike is offline bavmike  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlearner View Post
bavmike,

Just curious, why not just use a rocker switch rather than the push button switch? The rocker switch wouldn't require the soft start and would be much less work. I know you must have a very good reason, but I am just missing it.
No I don't really have a good reason other then I really like the looks of that blue LED push button. It matches the blue LED on my DAC, and will look good with a machined stainless steel volume knob beside it. I know it's not the most economical route, but the way I see it is I'll be spending a hell of a lot less on this project then if I was to go buy products of similar quality at the local audio shop.
Old 2nd January 2012, 11:31 PM   #1150
Tom4s is offline Tom4s  Luxembourg
diyAudio Member

bavmike,

That cool switch is also available in a normal latching (on-off) model, you know?
BULGIN|MPI002/TERM/D5|SWITCH, VR, ILLUM, GREEN/BLUE | Farnell United Kingdom

(In fact there are several different models, if you look around.)

Cheers,
T.

Last edited by Tom4s; 2nd January 2012 at 11:34 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!