hypex ncore - Page 112 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st December 2011, 03:45 PM   #1111
ChrisPa is offline ChrisPa  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Putzeys View Post
Well... Something of the sort could be done but if we are to avoid having to add a standby supply it'd have to be connected to the primary side. Which means: properly insulated wiring and switch, and potential difficulty explaining to people that the pushbutton connection is dangerous live. I think we have to mull that one over.
That's the alternative - add a standby supply to the smps with (possibly) a jumper to enable/disable it.

We could then use that to power external control circuitry without having to install/connect a 2nd mains device
Old 31st December 2011, 03:47 PM   #1112
diyAudio Member

@bavmike the 2 pairs are parallelled directly.

@StigErik. You know you've just scared me out of my wits, don't you? Anyhow I'm not going to release the source code. I think Logitech have called this sort of thing up over themselves through their semi-open source policy. It's amazing though that some people can understand enough about the box to tinker with the software whilst not understanding that so long as there aren't any actual glitches in the data there's nothing to improve. There is certainly a possibility that the changes in processor load modulate the clock oscillator via the supply, but juggling thread priorities isn't going to fix that.

Should anyone have plans: the firmware on the NC400 does nothing with the amplifier other than turn it on and off. Its only job is working out when to do so.

@ChrisPa I'm not sure if we want to weigh the product down with a standby supply as standard. We'll do a bit of brainstorming here once the joint gets rolling again (january 2nd).

Last edited by Bruno Putzeys; 31st December 2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 31st December 2011, 04:33 PM   #1113
tiki is offline tiki  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hello,
Quote:
...Usually the dangerous bit of a toroid is where the wires come out. So make sure they are long enough so you can rotate them away from whatever bit is picking up hum.
In my simple setup the toroids (Reichelt -> cheap) buzz mechanically (off if switched off ) and magnetically into the DCX2496 - annoying:
04.07.2005: 4-Kanal-Amp mit Hypex UcD180 komplettiert
Only distance helps.
But the softstart with very low relaxation time and without NTC works quite well and reliable:
UcD180_Softstart

Bruno:
I measured the out voltage of one PSC2.400 directly at the board connectors:
HF: ~20...25mV (decreasing tendency after a while)
LF: ~430mV
I would like to correct it by myself, if allowed. We can discuss it by Email, if you want.
Thanks!

Happy New Year!
Old 31st December 2011, 05:04 PM   #1114
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
Quote:
It's amazing though that some people can understand enough about the box to tinker with the software whilst not understanding that so long as there aren't any actual glitches in the data there's nothing to improve.
Bruno, I can't believe you just wrote that never underestimate the amount of insane audiophile tweaks an otherwise perfectly down to earth person would do.
don't tell me you've never seen those "Linux sounds better than Windows" or "foobar sounds better than Winamp" discussions...
Old 31st December 2011, 05:30 PM   #1115
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
anyway guys, I'm off to the party, happy new year to everyone
Old 31st December 2011, 11:20 PM   #1116
diyAudio Member

Happy New Year folks
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_push_pull View Post
don't tell me you've never seen those "Linux sounds better than Windows" or "foobar sounds better than Winamp" discussions...
There could be a hint of truth in those. ITunes for instance is known to do sample rate conversion by the simple expedient of dropping or repeating samples. I'm not making this up, I discovered this myself. Few audio players know how to get dithering right. It's not all bunk. But reassigning thread priorities certainly is, and so are flac vs wav discussions.
Old 1st January 2012, 10:08 AM   #1117
diyAudio Member

Not to mention the need for "high-end" SATA harddrive cables....
There has always been a lot of BS among audiophiles, and when they move up to computer audio the BS comes along.
Old 1st January 2012, 10:39 AM   #1118
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StigErik View Post
Not to mention the need for "high-end" SATA harddrive cables....
There has always been a lot of BS among audiophiles, and when they move up to computer audio the BS comes along.
Indeed. Was going to mention USB cables, but your example of hard drive cables is even better. And I guess you need a few resonant crystals on top of your amp box too...
Old 1st January 2012, 10:50 AM   #1119
diyAudio Member

Well... there are things we dont need to worry about, and this is one of those. And that list of things is VERY long....

But power amplifier quality is something to worry about. At least I did worry until now, the Ncore has cured my upgrade-disease for a long time I think.
Old 2nd January 2012, 01:27 AM   #1120
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Happy New Year folks

There could be a hint of truth in those. ITunes for instance is known to do sample rate conversion by the simple expedient of dropping or repeating samples. I'm not making this up, I discovered this myself. Few audio players know how to get dithering right. It's not all bunk. But reassigning thread priorities certainly is, and so are flac vs wav discussions.
SRC by dropping samples? Whoever coded that got dropped on his head.

Hide this!Advertise here!