Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st December 2011, 07:42 AM   #1091
diyAudio Member

Here's another alternative, small chassis (Amplifier chassis: GDCH-05) which I have been looking at.

Which brings me to another question: I have some Gallo Ref-3.5 speakers and was thinking about making an amp that could drive both the speaker and additional base-port of the speaker, using a miniDSP for active cross-over. If I were to use nCore + smps, could I then have a ucd amp powered by the same smps? Is it only the ucd-400 that would work on the same smps as the nCore or would the ucd180 also do fine?

Second question is how close I could pack the nCore, smps, ucd module and miniDSP together in a chassis. In theory they would all fit in the small chassis listed above, giving approx 2 cm between each board, but I am concerned about heat and interference. For the record, the plan would be to to wall-mount the amp vertical behind the speaker.

Thanks for any advice...
Old 31st December 2011, 08:18 AM   #1092
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg1n View Post
thinking about making an amp that could drive both the speaker and additional base-port of the speaker, using a miniDSP for active cross-over.
Well, I am planning something similar, but I am waiting for the hypex DLCP...
Old 31st December 2011, 11:34 AM   #1093
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
slowlearner,
as far as I remember the hifi2000 guys list all the dimensions and stuff. the dimensions of the NCORE and the SPMS are known. if unsure, you can use some drafting application to design the layout. there's a free (as in really free) AutoCAD clone (as in it really looks and works like ACAD) called DraftSight. one can use such to make DXF files for the face/back plates in case they want to have the hifi2000 guys drill/engrave them.
in case I decide to go for the NCORE after all, I'll be getting a case from them. I've mailed the guys a while back asking for some details and what I can tell you is that the only case range for which they can pre-drill the back is the Slimline, as it's the only one having an aluminum back plate. the others have only IEC sockets, one will have to drill/file the other holes.
if I recall correctly, the only Hypex SMPS that fits in a slim (4cm) case is the SMPS400. one other option is to go with linear supply with custom-sized transformer.
Old 31st December 2011, 11:55 AM   #1094
Omholt is offline Omholt  Norway
diyAudio Member

Any chance one can fit 4 modules and SMPS' in this case?:
HFX - HFX mini storage
The rubber boxes and PSU will be removed.
Old 31st December 2011, 01:17 PM   #1095
diyAudio Member

That is one cool case... It's got enough floor area but the height specification is unclear.

@mrpp: Watch out with flat toroids. Because the windings fan out wide and irregularly they tend to have an enormous stray field. Found that out the hard way.
Old 31st December 2011, 01:25 PM   #1096
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_push_pull
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Putzeys View Post
@mrpp: Watch out with flat toroids. Because the windings fan out wide and irregularly they tend to have an enormous stray field. Found that out the hard way.
oh... how close is too close?
Old 31st December 2011, 01:36 PM   #1097
bavmike is offline bavmike  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Putzeys View Post
No, you'd have to build a small standby supply and a toggle flip-flop to drive the supply on/off pin. Bound to be cheaper than the soft start module.
I'll just add a couple soft starts to my order. You can run 2 SMPS600's with 1 soft start module right?
Old 31st December 2011, 01:56 PM   #1098
diyAudio Member

I've actually never tried combining a softstart with the SMPS600 (the actual soft-starting being already included on the SMPS). It should probably work though.

@mrpp: Usually the dangerous bit of a toroid is where the wires come out. So make sure they are long enough so you can rotate them away from whatever bit is picking up hum.
Old 31st December 2011, 02:11 PM   #1099
bavmike is offline bavmike  Canada
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=Bruno Putzeys;2841093]I've actually never tried combining a softstart with the SMPS600 (the actual soft-starting being already included on the SMPS). It should probably work though.

If the capability of using your push button switch was built into the SMPS's, just like in the separate soft start module, that would be perfect
Old 31st December 2011, 02:23 PM   #1100
ChrisPa is offline ChrisPa  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavmike View Post
If the capability of using your push button switch was built into the SMPS's, just like in the separate soft start module, that would be perfect
Totally agreed

Hide this!Advertise here!