Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd December 2011, 12:49 PM   #1001
diyAudio Member

I'm just curious, are the LEDs for diagnostics? Is there description of the different ones? Like overtemp etc.
Old 23rd December 2011, 12:51 PM   #1002
ChrisPa is offline ChrisPa  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Putzeys View Post
Off topic: I'm being hounded here to place the 1000th post on this thread. Not bad. Some threads about new projects reach 3000 and still no hardware in sight
Done - unless there's some subsequent moderating
Old 23rd December 2011, 12:56 PM   #1003
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPa View Post
Done - unless there's some subsequent moderating
That would not be moderate at all. In fact, it would be rather extreme
Old 23rd December 2011, 01:01 PM   #1004
matjans is offline matjans  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to matjans
This may have popped up before (sorry if it has), however...

From the smps600 datasheet I see the "auto enable amp" pin has disappeared, compared with the smps400.
The ncore400 datasheets states pulling nAMPON low will enable the amp 2 seconds after all error conditions clear.

Sounds to me like a "predefined" startup delay of 2 seconds after smps power on, and an automatic shutdown when power is lost/switched off, preventing turning on/off pops/clicks.

which, in it's turn, implies correct handling of smps standby mode (J1:1).

correct or hopelessly wrong?
Old 23rd December 2011, 01:13 PM   #1005
diyAudio Member

That's indeed the idea. Most people will just tie the nAMPON line to the nearest convenient ground and leave it there. Only those who use the amps in active speakers or DSP based stuff or whatever where you need a mute control will actually use it.
Old 23rd December 2011, 01:23 PM   #1006
deandob is offline deandob  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thank you Bruno for your response. A couple more points of clarification if I may

#7. DC protection. Would you rely on the NCore error circuitry to replace the usual DC protection circuit? It seems fast enough but triggering at 15v will still let a fair amount of DC voltage through (eg. if there is a DC offset on the input and no input decoupling cap) which could dissipate more than 30W into the speakers. So an error LED on the front panel would be a good idea. BTW - does the NCore use an input decoupling cap, I recall the UCD's did?

#8, Opamp regulation. A standard power supply should be sufficient (eg. a LM317 style).

#9. Thanks for the tip about avoiding a minimalist discrete design, which do seem to popular on this site (and they usually require a complex power supply that defeats their simplicity...). So basically the better option for the average amateur is a high quality op amp which if well implemented should be OK and not be the weak link.
Old 23rd December 2011, 01:31 PM   #1007
dallas is offline dallas  United States
diyAudio Member

Looking forward to ordering Ncore in the very near future.We have had great success building custom amplifiers utililzing UCD Hxr modules in the past.Great sound! I was surfing Twitter recently and found this comment from Steve Guttenberg a well known reviewer in the US. Based on our experience with UCDs, and the comments here from Bruno and others on the sound of Ncore compared to other amplifiers, I am suspicious of "euphonic" effects of some sort. I am not familiar with Bel Canto so cannot provide any other insight. Here is the "Tweet" from Steve
"The nCore Hypex Class D amps are good, but my Bel Canto REF500S is way better, better as in less bright and sweeter overall".
Old 23rd December 2011, 01:35 PM   #1008
diyAudio Member

7. The DC protection circuitry is the same as that of the HG supplies (other than being done in the microcontroller). Anything that couldn't happen then can't happen now. And vice versa. I like the idea of the warning output, I might do that in a later version. For now you'll have to find something yourself.
The Ncore has no coupling caps (on the maxim that "no cap sounds as good as no cap"), but you're free to add 1uF in series with both inputs (not just one).
8 Even without the 317 is fine.

OK I'm off for the holidays.
Old 23rd December 2011, 01:42 PM   #1009
matjans is offline matjans  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to matjans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Putzeys View Post
That's indeed the idea. Most people will just tie the nAMPON line to the nearest convenient ground and leave it there.
Cool. Makes for an easy standby-trigger for slaving it to a pre with (12v) triggers like the classe without having to worry about turning the amps on off. Don;t know whether it really saves that much energy, but hey... why not.

(i just realised that that was actually my first useful post in this thread. will shut up until i have any further useful q's )
Old 23rd December 2011, 10:53 PM   #1010
ChrisPa is offline ChrisPa  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepc0re View Post
I'm just curious, are the LEDs for diagnostics? Is there description of the different ones? Like overtemp etc.
LEDs are high performance alternative to zeners

see http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class...ml#post2830210

Hide this!Advertise here!