hypex ncore - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th June 2011, 05:55 PM   #91
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclectic2k View Post
If Bruno & team make it too good it eats into their OEM high end customers.
Indeed, but with a twist. I think I can make it as good as I want but not as powerful as I want because power is as big a thing in the high end component market as sonics. OEMs will want to control their own sonics anyway so going completely overboard on the perfect discrete input for the DIY module is probably not going to hurt anyone.

Last edited by Bruno Putzeys; 16th June 2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 16th June 2011, 06:09 PM   #92
glt is offline glt  United States
diyAudio Member

I am all for lower cost.

It seems that due to the component count and board real estate, there is a lower limit to the power where lowering power further will translate into no cost savings. Seems 400W is that point.

That seems to imply that the ncore module will be positioned at the ucd400 power point but with different price for differentiation.

Or, may I propose (as it always happens with consumer tech), introduce ncore at the current ucd400 price point and lower the price of the current UCD offerings? :-)
Old 16th June 2011, 06:10 PM   #93
diyAudio Member

I also have UcD180HG with HxR and SMPS180. It's simply the best amp I've ever heard. Its just clean, clean, clean. No smearing or artificial "warmth", just pure hifi. At least thats what I hear. But it doesnt forgive errors other places in the audio chain.

If the new Ncore stuff is even more pure sounding, then I just GOT TO have it when it arrives!!!
Old 16th June 2011, 06:14 PM   #94
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrSv View Post
A larger plate than module is fine with me. It really doesn't have to be much larger as 10 mm would probably be fine on two edges.

Would through PCB mounting be bad? I mean four holes that you reach through the PCB itself?
I like both these options. Have the amp come from the factory with two sides a little larger than the module maybe. OR even better, something like your second idea:
in addition to the press fit nuts in the base plate like the current OEM UcD's make the screw/standoff that mounts the PCB a little larger, such that if desired, they could be removed and a new screw inserted fully through from the top of the PCB, through the base plate, and screw into the heatsink? (thereby clamping the baseplate between PCB and heatsink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSP_Geek View Post
Packaging: UcD400s have a lovely form factor. One can turn them sideways and place six on a heat sink (chassis mounting doesn't dissipate enough heat at that density) for triamped speakers. I imagine the ncore circuit would need more space, so the circuit board could be as wide as 100 mm (from 75 mm) and still fit comfortably within a heatsink mounted on a 3U chassis.

If possible, mounting holes in the same pattern as a UcD400 would allow for simple upgrades.
I sort of agree with this. The current heatsink is fairly nice. But I've run into problems with it as well (for what I wanted, it was mostly not so good). There are always trade off's. My biggest wish, as others point out, was to be able to start the screw from the module side. I briefly toyed with removing the heatsink from the module, instead I just changed plans...

I'm willing to re-layout my amp chassis if I get the new modules ;-)
Old 16th June 2011, 06:29 PM   #95
hisense is offline hisense  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Makes a lot of sense Bruno - and thanks for making this fantastic work available to us.
Old 16th June 2011, 08:51 PM   #96
cOz is offline cOz  United States
diyAudio Member

In my home environment with my speakers 50w is overkill. So a 180w version would be plently. I really like the idea of having a world class buffer built in!
Old 16th June 2011, 09:06 PM   #97
jmbulg is offline jmbulg  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Fascinating discussion. Maybe a way to distinguish the DIY from the OEM version could be the size: while the OEM version must fit in as many diffent casing as possible and therefore should be small, the DIY comminity will most likely be ready to build cases around the module, which can therfore be larger. This also would allow more place for special connectors (uninteresting for OEM as stated by Bruno), or jumpers or adaptable parts which the OEM version is not interested in.
Old 17th June 2011, 06:22 AM   #98
diyAudio Member

One important question remains:

How does "Stimela" sound through this amp ? ;-)

Regards

Charles
Old 17th June 2011, 07:28 AM   #99
diyAudio Member

@Phase_accurate: Rather amazing. I still need to find a suitable way of reciprocating

Re size, I have been doing a bit of homework. If I build a discrete input stage, discrete loop amp, integrated discrete regulators and then I use a 4-layer board with SMD on both sides I should be able to cram a 400W version on precisely the same board area (if not shape) as the UcD400. So indeed this would seem to be the right size.

Mounting... still trying to see where I can add flexibility. The plate construction is really a big step forward both thermally and EMC-wise, but it permits only 1 way of mounting. Perhaps we can devise some mounting accessories?
@JMBulg the surface area of the plate is so large that adding another one would hardly affect thermal performance, even without any heatsink compound. We could have sub-base plates premade.

Last edited by Bruno Putzeys; 17th June 2011 at 07:30 AM.
Old 17th June 2011, 07:54 AM   #100
diyAudio Member

@BrunoPutzey and @Phase_accurate:

You referring to Hugh Masekela's LIVE version of "Stimela" ? It is an amazing piece I couldn't agree more ... so much dynamics ... makes my wife go crazy every time

Hide this!Advertise here!