• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

KT88 SE Basic or Master Kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have not heard a single tube amp other than this one. Are they supposed to make a "jingling" noise when you turn them on? Mine sounds like a little like when you jiggle a burnt out light bulb. Filaments?

Is this normal?

My bottlehead seduction doesn't, but those are very tiny tubes by comparison.

How loud of a noise? I hear absolutely nothing from mine, unless I jam my head right into the middle of the tubes, but it does emit a very slight noise.

Hi Ili,

At this point, I have doubts that 25 folks can all coordinate together to send the funds at the same time and then wait 12 weeks or maybe even more for a product.

You should know that this amplifier is very easy to build. If you, or someone you know, have just modest skills in drilling, metal cutting, soldering, etc. you can do it yourself. Also, by sourcing the components locally, you will save a ton of money. The experience will set you on the road to building many more fine amps.

If you decide you want to take on this project, I will offer whatever help and guidance I can in helping you to select components, layout the chassis, etc.

Scott

Hello.
Thanks Scott.
I am a beginner and therefore wanted to start collecting from a ready set. I have questions continually, there are no practical skills neither theoretical, nor. And there is a wish to receive a good sound still.
I assemble now the speaker system Seas on 8 ohms. I will try to wait. Yet I don't see sets similar to yours.
Yours faithfully
Ili

Before you give up on the idea of building one of these yourself, a few questions.

Can you source power transformers, output transformers, and choke locally? Those are going to be the costliest to order from out of country.

Do you have access to a metal working shop?

Can you source the KT88s and 6N1P-EV tubes locally? This amp is such a simple design, that with a few changes here and there, many different tubes can be used. Maybe a GU-50 design?

I've listened to Dave Rosgaard's amp (see post #6, this thread) many, many times since completion and it's an excellent amplifier! Dave's amp is also well thought of by the members of the Pacific Northwest Audio Society, as well as members of the Sound DIY Club. I'll let others speak to the ease of construction since I haven't built one myself, but I've listened to Dave's amp many times since he completed it and can confirm that the sound and performance are quite simply excellent!

Best Regards,
TerryO

Ili,

If you have no experience with high voltage circuits, you should read the "Safety Practices" and "Online Tube Learning for newbies" sticky(s) at the top of the Tubes/Valves forum.
Surely.
Transformers I would like American, and you, anyway, know the best option quality/price. Lamps are available. Topology of configuration it would be desirable to take the ready.
I am a mechanic, instead of the radio expert.

I have done a power supply modification that greatly improves the bass response, "slam" (for lack of a better word), and overall dynamic range of this amp.

You will need two (2) 6CL3 damper diodes (or 6CK3) and 9-pin novar sockets to do this mod.

Buy some while they are still available. Right now they are on the dollar menu at ESRC.

I bought quite a few of these and have already found a bad one, so you might want to order several just in case.

Details coming soon.

Last edited:
Hello.
Thanks Scott.
I am a beginner and therefore wanted to start collecting from a ready set. I have questions continually, there are no practical skills neither theoretical, nor. And there is a wish to receive a good sound still.
I assemble now the speaker system Seas on 8 ohms. I will try to wait. Yet I don't see sets similar to yours.
Yours faithfully
Ili
Don't get stuck on this designed kit, I built it but it took me quite some time to decide on it. What I am saying is that there are a lot of tube amplifiers kit out there that worth it too, single ended, push-pull, cheap or boutique, whatever fits you.

I am no radio expert, but those kits use to be quite easy to assemble if you know how to follow instructions AND MOST IMPORTANT, keep a watchfull eye on security matters.

I have done a power supply modification that greatly improves the bass response, "slam" (for lack of a better word), and overall dynamic range of this amp.

You will need two (2) 6CL3 damper diodes (or 6CK3) and 9-pin novar sockets to do this mod.

Buy some while they are still available. Right now they are on the dollar menu at ESRC.

I bought quite a few of these and have already found a bad one, so you might want to order several just in case.

Details coming soon.
So long without hear from you Scott! I am highly interested in this mod. If I can point out one *bad* thing about this amp could be a loose low end response, not because of the design but because I am using very low efficient speakers, 87dB/w. Could be fun to try how sound can change with this new mod :)

I am anxiously waiting for more info to come! thank you Scott!

Oh btw, I have bought on ebay a pair of these magic eye tubes with their controller boards and a pair of transformers. I am still deciding if fitting them inside this amplifier for an aesthetics touch or mounting them in a separate enclosure (thus allowing me to use them as a vumeter with other different amplifiers).
They were pretty cheap at 10€ each delivered, and work pretty good! look very nice in the dark along the other tube's red glows.

Attachments

• url.jpg
    url.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 247

Details coming soon.

Looking forward to this! I find the sound of this amp to be plenty, but I love to experiment. Looks like I'm going to be sourcing some damper diodes right about now.

Hi Regi and Eric,

Hey Regi, those magic eye tubes look cool! Will make a nice addition.

I'm still working on the schematic for this, and will post it soon. The only problem so far is that instead of ~1mV of hum on the speaker terminals, I'm getting 2.5mV in triode and about 5.5mV in UL after the mod. On the surface that doesn't sound so good, but I can barely hear it unless I'm about a foot away from the speaker. To me, what it makes up for in better dynamics is worth it though.

I don't want anyone to start chopping extra holes in the chassis and so forth and then not be happy with the results.

I'm working with a friend of mine on a few hum cancellation techniques to help alleviate this. We'll see what happens.

Scott

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.