KT88 SE Basic or Master Kit - Page 24 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd April 2014, 07:36 PM   #231
diyAudio Member

Before you give up on the idea of building one of these yourself, a few questions.

Can you source power transformers, output transformers, and choke locally? Those are going to be the costliest to order from out of country.

Do you have access to a metal working shop?

Can you source the KT88s and 6N1P-EV tubes locally? This amp is such a simple design, that with a few changes here and there, many different tubes can be used. Maybe a GU-50 design?
Old 2nd April 2014, 07:41 PM   #232
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ili View Post
Hello.
Thanks Scott.
I am a beginner and therefore wanted to start collecting from a ready set.
judging from your posts I suppose you are new to all DIY in general ?
Old 2nd April 2014, 08:06 PM   #233
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

I've listened to Dave Rosgaard's amp (see post #6, this thread) many, many times since completion and it's an excellent amplifier! Dave's amp is also well thought of by the members of the Pacific Northwest Audio Society, as well as members of the Sound DIY Club. I'll let others speak to the ease of construction since I haven't built one myself, but I've listened to Dave's amp many times since he completed it and can confirm that the sound and performance are quite simply excellent!

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 2nd April 2014, 08:12 PM   #234
diyAudio Member

Ili,

If you have no experience with high voltage circuits, you should read the "Safety Practices" and "Online Tube Learning for newbies" sticky(s) at the top of the Tubes/Valves forum.
Old 2nd April 2014, 08:47 PM   #235
Ili is offline Ili
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott17 View Post
Ili,

If you have no experience with high voltage circuits, you should read the "Safety Practices" and "Online Tube Learning for newbies" sticky(s) at the top of the Tubes/Valves forum.
Surely.
Transformers I would like American, and you, anyway, know the best option quality/price. Lamps are available. Topology of configuration it would be desirable to take the ready.
I am a mechanic, instead of the radio expert.
Old 1st May 2014, 03:17 AM   #236
diyAudio Member

I have done a power supply modification that greatly improves the bass response, "slam" (for lack of a better word), and overall dynamic range of this amp.

You will need two (2) 6CL3 damper diodes (or 6CK3) and 9-pin novar sockets to do this mod.

Buy some while they are still available. Right now they are on the dollar menu at ESRC.

I bought quite a few of these and have already found a bad one, so you might want to order several just in case.

Details coming soon.

Last edited by scott17; 1st May 2014 at 03:34 AM.
Old 10th May 2014, 12:51 PM   #237
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ili View Post
Hello.
Thanks Scott.
I am a beginner and therefore wanted to start collecting from a ready set. I have questions continually, there are no practical skills neither theoretical, nor. And there is a wish to receive a good sound still.
I assemble now the speaker system Seas on 8 ohms. I will try to wait. Yet I don't see sets similar to yours.
Yours faithfully
Ili
Don't get stuck on this designed kit, I built it but it took me quite some time to decide on it. What I am saying is that there are a lot of tube amplifiers kit out there that worth it too, single ended, push-pull, cheap or boutique, whatever fits you.

I am no radio expert, but those kits use to be quite easy to assemble if you know how to follow instructions AND MOST IMPORTANT, keep a watchfull eye on security matters.

Quote:
I have done a power supply modification that greatly improves the bass response, "slam" (for lack of a better word), and overall dynamic range of this amp.

You will need two (2) 6CL3 damper diodes (or 6CK3) and 9-pin novar sockets to do this mod.

Buy some while they are still available. Right now they are on the dollar menu at ESRC.

I bought quite a few of these and have already found a bad one, so you might want to order several just in case.

Details coming soon.
So long without hear from you Scott! I am highly interested in this mod. If I can point out one *bad* thing about this amp could be a loose low end response, not because of the design but because I am using very low efficient speakers, 87dB/w. Could be fun to try how sound can change with this new mod

I am anxiously waiting for more info to come! thank you Scott!
Old 10th May 2014, 12:59 PM   #238
diyAudio Member

Oh btw, I have bought on ebay a pair of these magic eye tubes with their controller boards and a pair of transformers. I am still deciding if fitting them inside this amplifier for an aesthetics touch or mounting them in a separate enclosure (thus allowing me to use them as a vumeter with other different amplifiers).
They were pretty cheap at 10 each delivered, and work pretty good! look very nice in the dark along the other tube's red glows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg url.jpg (42.7 KB, 93 views)
Old 12th May 2014, 04:37 PM   #239
erics84 is offline erics84  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Details coming soon.
Looking forward to this! I find the sound of this amp to be plenty, but I love to experiment. Looks like I'm going to be sourcing some damper diodes right about now.
Old 16th May 2014, 09:22 PM   #240
diyAudio Member

Hi Regi and Eric,

Hey Regi, those magic eye tubes look cool! Will make a nice addition.

I'm still working on the schematic for this, and will post it soon. The only problem so far is that instead of ~1mV of hum on the speaker terminals, I'm getting 2.5mV in triode and about 5.5mV in UL after the mod. On the surface that doesn't sound so good, but I can barely hear it unless I'm about a foot away from the speaker. To me, what it makes up for in better dynamics is worth it though.

I don't want anyone to start chopping extra holes in the chassis and so forth and then not be happy with the results.

I'm working with a friend of mine on a few hum cancellation techniques to help alleviate this. We'll see what happens.

Scott

Hide this!Advertise here!