KT88 SE Basic or Master Kit - Page 21 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th February 2013, 03:47 AM   #201
diyAudio Member

Very glad that I got in under the wire a few weeks ago. Looking forward to building the amp. It looks like a very nice kit.

-Pat
Old 23rd February 2013, 02:35 AM   #202
diyAudio Member

There have been several inquires regarding the KT88 SE Master Kit since the last one was sold.

If 25 folks want to get in on a group buy, I'll be glad to put them together.

The cost will be $775.00 per kit plus shipping. Same parts list.

Scott
Old 23rd February 2013, 08:33 PM   #203
diyAudio Member

I'm in for one!

Scot, what do you think about this "standby" power switch?

Carling DPST Toggle Switch, OFF-STBY-ON
Old 23rd February 2013, 08:57 PM   #204
IanS1 is offline IanS1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott17 View Post
There have been several inquires regarding the KT88 SE Master Kit since the last one was sold.

If 25 folks want to get in on a group buy, I'll be glad to put them together.

The cost will be $775.00 per kit plus shipping. Same parts list.

Scott
Good luck with this Scott. I'm absolutely loving my SE Master Kit with my 100db speakers. Anyone thinking of doing this build, for the money, it really is a brilliant amp.
Old 23rd February 2013, 09:19 PM   #205
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandru marian View Post
I'm in for one!

Scot, what do you think about this "standby" power switch?

Carling DPST Toggle Switch, OFF-STBY-ON
It will eventually fail if used to switch the HT. Here is a link to info about standby switches: The Valve Wizard

This design does not need a standby switch if the power supply capacitors as specified are used or series connect the equivalent uF value, 450V, electrolytics with balancing resistors.
Old 23rd February 2013, 09:24 PM   #206
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS1 View Post
Good luck with this Scott. I'm absolutely loving my SE Master Kit with my 100db speakers. Anyone thinking of doing this build, for the money, it really is a brilliant amp.
Thanks very much. I really glad that you are enjoying the amp.

The tricky part here is getting 25 individuals to collectively send me $19,375 and then wait 3 months for a product.

Might be a slight issue.
Old 26th February 2013, 02:01 AM   #207
diyAudio Member

I wholeheartedly recommend the amp as well! Simply fantastic!
Old 14th March 2013, 02:17 AM   #208
TiMBoZ is offline TiMBoZ  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default SE KT88 - Compatible Speakers

Quote:
they are totally eclipsed by the DR1s and 2s?? with tubes, which is an excellent match for the speakers
Sorry Terry-O, I don't quite follow this from post#200. Are the DR1/2's a speaker? If so, care to expand on the details?

Last edited by TiMBoZ; 14th March 2013 at 02:21 AM.
Old 14th March 2013, 05:34 AM   #209
Dave R is offline Dave R  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMBoZ View Post
Sorry Terry-O, I don't quite follow this from post#200. Are the DR1/2's a speaker? If so, care to expand on the details?
TerryO is referring to a couple of diy speakers that I put together, dubbed "DR1" and "DR2". The DR1 sounds somewhat better, and it makes a great combination with this KT88 SE tube amp.

They are bookshelf speakers, both using the same 4.5" Vifa/JBL midwoofer in a 5 liter vented box. The original DR1 uses a 3/4" Audax tweeter, while the DR2 uses a 1" Peerless tweeter. All of these drivers were obtained on a discontinued buyout, and are no longer available. Both designs use a series crossover (different). Above the vent tuning frequencies, the impedance of both designs is relatively constant at around 4 or 5 ohms. They are both approx. 89 dB.

Attached is a shot of a pair of DR2's that I made for a friend. I can't find a shot of the DR1's now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dr2_small.jpg (830.0 KB, 296 views)
Old 14th March 2013, 06:36 AM   #210
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Tim,

Dave's the designer of the DR1 & 2. I built a pair for the Planet10 DIY Fest near Victoria, BC. Actually, I built them "at" the meet, which is a bad habit I picked up many years ago. As it was nearly an all tube meet, I decided to leave out an optional resister in the series crossover. Then someone wrote from the Meet, that I had left out the optional resister because I didn't need the extra bass boost when running them with tubes. As I said, this was published during the meet and I believe that Dave was a little put out with me for changing his design. After getting home from the meet, he maintained that the resister was there to tame the tweeter a couple of dB if desired. Anyway, I explained that I had thought it was optional in case somone used a SS amplifier and wanted to restore the lost bass. Anyway, Dave did some simulations and found that the optional resister actually did give some boost to the bass as well as extending it a bit as well.

One thing about the woofers that Dave used is the smooth frequency response and smooth roll-off even in a ported enclosure. I've maintained for years that a smooth frequency response at the lower end with minimal resistive increases (spikes) around the tuning frequency will allow excellent bass with tube amps.

I hope that Dave will correct any errors that I may have made in my recounting the situation and the confusion!

Best Regards,
TerryO

Hide this!Advertise here!