KT88 SE Basic or Master Kit - Page 20 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2013, 02:21 AM   #191
diyAudio Member
 
scott17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: JFK
All of the kits have been sold.

Thanks to all.

Scott
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 04:27 AM   #192
Dave R is offline Dave R  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Dave R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott17 View Post
All of the kits have been sold.

Thanks to all.

Scott
No . . . THANK YOU!!!

I'm glad I got mine when I did. You did a great job on the design and the kit came with excellent instructions. The idea of a "first time amp build" was a bit overwhelming at first thought, but the instruction details in this kit were very good.

I completed mine a little over a year ago, and have to say that the sound is superb.

The only problem I've had is that it's been in storage for the past few months, while the "man cave" has been under construction! I'm looking forward to getting it hooked up again in the new digs.

~Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amp_wiring_complete.jpg (148.5 KB, 298 views)
File Type: jpg HT_tube.jpg (109.6 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg amp_rear.jpg (95.2 KB, 286 views)
File Type: jpg amp_running.jpg (94.9 KB, 287 views)
__________________
- Dave R
the 200% Norske
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 04:52 AM   #193
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member
 
TerryO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Seattle,Wash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
No . . . THANK YOU!!!

I'm glad I got mine when I did. You did a great job on the design and the kit came with excellent instructions. The idea of a "first time amp build" was a bit overwhelming at first thought, but the instruction details in this kit were very good.

I completed mine a little over a year ago, and have to say that the sound is superb.

The only problem I've had is that it's been in storage for the past few months, while the "man cave" has been under construction! I'm looking forward to getting it hooked up again in the new digs.

~Dave
Dave's amp turned out very nice and sounds great! He's very proud how it turned out, as he should be!

Best Regards,
TerryO
__________________
"If you have to ask why, then you're probably on the right track."
quote from Terry Olson's DIYaudio Forum application
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 08:56 PM   #194
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Germany
Hi Scott,

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott17 View Post
All of the kits have been sold.

Thanks to all.

Scott
I'd really wanted to try out your Design of this Amp. But the shipping costs to Europe (incl. the transformers) are ridiculous.
Sorry!

Are there more Europeans out there that want to build the same Design?

May be we can find find an extra solution?

I really would like to test it!

Ciao
Christoph
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2013, 09:40 PM   #195
diyAudio Member
 
scott17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: JFK
It should not be that difficult to source the parts locally. As you know, the parts list is in the very first post of this thread as well as the transformer specifications.
Here is the link to the schematic and chassis layout:
KT88 SE Complete Kit See post #126

There are several photos of the interior layout in this thread. The layout and grounding scheme is important. It is also important to use the individual LC filters for the driver tube.

I'll be glad to help in any way I can.

Scott


Quote:
Originally Posted by Airsuspension View Post
May be we can find find an extra solution?

I really would like to test it!

Ciao
Christoph
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 01:06 AM   #196
TiMBoZ is offline TiMBoZ  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sydney
I haven't even built mine yet but I'm already excited and hankering, got the 'covets' for a 2 x SE KT88 mono block. Hint hint. Should probably finish this one first. Maybe in a year from now. My build will be slow. This will be my first valve amp. What kinds of speakers are people using? Dave R looks like he has some DIY 2.5 way? How does it go Dave?
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 01:48 AM   #197
Dave R is offline Dave R  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Dave R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMBoZ View Post
Dave R looks like he has some DIY 2.5 way? How does it go Dave?
The TMM in my set up is not a 2.5 way. The (2) 6.5 midwoofers are 4-ohm, wired together in series for a (nominal) 8-ohm load. The crossover from woofer branch to tweeter is a series. I would consider it a 2-way. These are tuned to ~ 41 Hz.

The TMM's are very nice sounding (IMHO of course ) . However the hefty impedance swing from 7 ohms to 40+ ohms on the mass loaded peaks make this tube amp struggle a bit on the low end. Nothing a properly adjusted sub can't accommodate, though. If I had to do it over again, I'd look at (2) 8-ohm midwoofers and a single (more efficient) 4 ohm tweeter. The mass loaded peaks would be half, instead of double in that case. The good thing is that the impedance of the TMM's is not an issue for the SS amp.

I have a smaller 2-way bookshelf pair (also vented, and also series crossover) which is a magical match with this amp. It is tuned to ~ 64 Hz, but even without a sub I find it quite enjoyable. One day, I'll re-build the cabinets on these to match the amp case.
__________________
- Dave R
the 200% Norske
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 09:35 PM   #198
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Germany
Dear Scott,

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott17 View Post
It should not be that difficult to source the parts locally. As you know, the parts list is in the very first post of this thread
sure, and I think all of us wich are following the thread appriciate that a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott17 View Post
as well as the transformer specifications.
That was the purpose of my post: Did anybody in Europe find any good source for the heavy stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott17 View Post
Here is the link to the schematic and chassis layout:
KT88 SE Complete Kit See post #126

There are several photos of the interior layout in this thread. The layout and grounding scheme is important. It is also important to use the individual LC filters for the driver tube.

I'll be glad to help in any way I can.

Scott
Scott, the purpose of this post was:
Buy your chassis/Kit,witch i really lik, but without the heavy stuff.
Find some people around here to get a small series made of the coils.

Ciao
Christoph
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2013, 10:00 PM   #199
diyAudio Member
 
scott17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: JFK
Hi Christoph,

I certainly didn't mean for my response to be taken in a negative way if it was.

I really am glad to help in any way that I can.

All the best,

Scott
  Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 01:49 AM   #200
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member
 
TerryO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Seattle,Wash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
The TMM in my set up is not a 2.5 way. The (2) 6.5 midwoofers are 4-ohm, wired together in series for a (nominal) 8-ohm load. The crossover from woofer branch to tweeter is a series. I would consider it a 2-way. These are tuned to ~ 41 Hz.

The TMM's are very nice sounding (IMHO of course ) . However the hefty impedance swing from 7 ohms to 40+ ohms on the mass loaded peaks make this tube amp struggle a bit on the low end. Nothing a properly adjusted sub can't accommodate, though. If I had to do it over again, I'd look at (2) 8-ohm midwoofers and a single (more efficient) 4 ohm tweeter. The mass loaded peaks would be half, instead of double in that case. The good thing is that the impedance of the TMM's is not an issue for the SS amp.

I have a smaller 2-way bookshelf pair (also vented, and also series crossover) which is a magical match with this amp. It is tuned to ~ 64 Hz, but even without a sub I find it quite enjoyable. One day, I'll re-build the cabinets on these to match the amp case.
On SS, Dave's TMM's sound very nice, however they are totally eclipsed by the DR1s and 2s with tubes, which is an excellent match for the speakers.
Just a note: unlike some of the popular wisdom that unfortunately passes for truth, it's certainly possible to have better bass from tubes, if the speakers are correctly designed with that in mind.

Best Regards,
TerryO
__________________
"If you have to ask why, then you're probably on the right track."
quote from Terry Olson's DIYaudio Forum application
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KT88 SE Complete Kit scott17 Tubes / Valves 289 4th March 2013 09:09 PM
AnalogMetric 6L6GC SE amp kit...thoughts about this kit? jmillerdoc Tubes / Valves 2 16th November 2009 03:51 PM
Kt88 Se overdrajv Tubes / Valves 0 16th December 2008 01:26 PM
My KT88 SE project JesseG Tubes / Valves 8 20th April 2008 05:26 AM
Kt88 Se hacknet Tubes / Valves 9 10th September 2004 09:19 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:31 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2