KT88 SE Basic or Master Kit - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2011, 08:03 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default Ready to ship

All chassis and transformers are now in stock and 25 Master Kits are ready to ship. I also have 6 Basic Kits remaining.

If you would like to purchase send a PM and include your PayPal email. If you would prefer shipping to an address different then on your PayPal account, please include so I can calculate the correct shipping charges.

If shipping to the US, the Master Kit is shipped in 2 boxes. One 20" x 12" x 5" @ 9 lbs, and one USPS Priority Mail large flat rate box for the transformers.

If shipping out of the US, the transformers will be shipped in two USPS Priority Mail medium flat rate boxes due to weight restrictions.

The Basic Kit is shipped in one USPS Priority Mail medium flat rate box.

I have attached a photo of the pre-punched chassis that is included with the Master Kit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000469.JPG (46.2 KB, 1891 views)
File Type: jpg P1000464.JPG (74.9 KB, 1876 views)
Old 9th February 2011, 08:10 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Knock on the the door, postman standing there with a box, all the way from America.
The KT88 kit has arrived intact and it's like Christmas, i must say i was impressed with the packaging, the documentation and the quality of the componants. Well done Scott i don't think i would have taken on such a task like this. I can't wait for your next project, "hint" 300b amp sounds good.
Rob
Old 9th February 2011, 11:45 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I too came home to find that the Postman had rang....

He left me 2 boxes. I tore into them like a kid at Christmas! Man this amp has enough iron in it to make a small anvil! I thought the smaller box might just be an anvil.

Seriously, Scott did a great job packing the Master Kit. Everything arrived in perfect shape. I can't imagine how long it took him to put these kits together. Wow! All the various parts and hardware all nicely sorted into various ziplock bags.

Now I have a small problem... I'm itching to start assembly, but I need to paint the chassis first. It's been running about 5 degrees F (-15 C) here and my friend's shop isn't heated well enough to get to the 70 degrees F (21 C) needed to do a good paint job. Why does it need to be so damned cold? Mother Nature is once again jacking up my plans.

I think I might take the chassis to a powder coater and go that route. It would probably be a more durable finish than any paint job I could give it. I also need to decide what color to use. The xformer bells look great, so I may try to match them.

So it looks like it will be awhile before I can start in on it....

I will post any progress I make once I get started.

Thanks again Scott for putting this together! I am impressed so far.

Bill
Old 10th February 2011, 12:01 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippyboy View Post
Knock on the the door, postman standing there with a box, all the way from America.
The KT88 kit has arrived intact and it's like Christmas, i must say i was impressed with the packaging, the documentation and the quality of the componants. Well done Scott i don't think i would have taken on such a task like this. I can't wait for your next project, "hint" 300b amp sounds good.
Rob
Thanks very much Rob. I did my best to make sure this would be a great kit. I'm actually moving in the direction of a preamp with phono section at the moment, but it's going to be a while.
Old 10th February 2011, 12:04 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashBill View Post
I too came home to find that the Postman had rang....

He left me 2 boxes. I tore into them like a kid at Christmas! Man this amp has enough iron in it to make a small anvil! I thought the smaller box might just be an anvil.

Seriously, Scott did a great job packing the Master Kit. Everything arrived in perfect shape. I can't imagine how long it took him to put these kits together. Wow! All the various parts and hardware all nicely sorted into various ziplock bags.

Now I have a small problem... I'm itching to start assembly, but I need to paint the chassis first. It's been running about 5 degrees F (-15 C) here and my friend's shop isn't heated well enough to get to the 70 degrees F (21 C) needed to do a good paint job. Why does it need to be so damned cold? Mother Nature is once again jacking up my plans.

I think I might take the chassis to a powder coater and go that route. It would probably be a more durable finish than any paint job I could give it. I also need to decide what color to use. The xformer bells look great, so I may try to match them.

So it looks like it will be awhile before I can start in on it....

I will post any progress I make once I get started.

Thanks again Scott for putting this together! I am impressed so far.

Bill
That's great news Bill. I'm glad it arrived safely. Thanks for the positive comments. I'm looking forward to you getting it up and running. I really believe you are going to love this amp. If you do decide to match the end-bells the color is RAL9006.

Scott

Last edited by scott17; 10th February 2011 at 12:11 AM. Reason: RAL color
Old 19th February 2011, 02:02 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hello everyone,
I guess I have to put my 2 cents in on this kit,
First I have to thank Scott for going to the trouble of putting this project together.
I received my master kit last week and I am very pleased with my purchase, I am not a stranger to kit builds I have built several tube amp kits over the past few years,Three Bottlehead kits and a pair of oddblocks to name a few.
I find this kit to be on par with those kits,very well packed and a exactly what Scott has presented in this thread.
Excellent instructions and a all together well executed project,Well done Scott!
Old 21st February 2011, 10:06 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDHORSEMAN View Post
Hello everyone,
I guess I have to put my 2 cents in on this kit,
First I have to thank Scott for going to the trouble of putting this project together.
I received my master kit last week and I am very pleased with my purchase, I am not a stranger to kit builds I have built several tube amp kits over the past few years,Three Bottlehead kits and a pair of oddblocks to name a few.
I find this kit to be on par with those kits,very well packed and a exactly what Scott has presented in this thread.
Excellent instructions and a all together well executed project,Well done Scott!
Thanks very much for the comments REDHORSEMAN. I'm really looking forward to one of the purchasers of this kit to complete the build. I believe you are really going to like this amp.
Old 23rd February 2011, 10:04 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Mines done and sounds great
This amp is built like a mack truck!
Old 24th February 2011, 12:05 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDHORSEMAN View Post
Mines done and sounds great
This amp is built like a mack truck!
That's great! Can you offer any comparison of sound of this amp to the other tube amps you have built? What loudspeakers are you using?

How does your build rate as far as audible hum & noise? Just curious if it is as quiet as mine.

Thanks, Scott

Last edited by scott17; 24th February 2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old 24th February 2011, 03:33 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scitizen17 View Post
That's great! Can you offer any comparison of sound of this amp to the other tube amps you have built? What loudspeakers are you using?

How does your build rate as far as audible hum & noise? Just curious if it is as quiet as mine.

Thanks, Scott
I have just an hour of listening time with this amp so I haven't criticly compared this amp with my other kit amps.
The speakers I used are frugal horns that I purchased as a flat-pack with a pair of enabled fe126 fostex drivers,the bass is augmented with a pair of subs.
As far as hum and noise this amp is dead quiet to my ears
I would like to put together some new speakers for this amp any recomendations welcome

Bob

Hide this!Advertise here!