KT88 SE Basic or Master Kit - Page 15 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th July 2012, 10:49 AM   #141
diyAudio Member

Hello folks!
As I previously said, my plan was to mount the cover cage on this enclosure. The manufacturer advises that it is not compatible with the wood side panels, but after some careful planning I devised a way to achieve it. Suming it up, you have to mount upside-downthe wood side panels, then you break (or cut) a bit of the prominent wood that otherwise wouldn't allow you to screw down the bottom cover.
In fact, it provides more stability, as by default each panel is hold with only two screws. Now it has those two screws, plus 2 screws to the metal holder,s plus the two screws that hold the top mesh cover. I am really happy on how the result ended

The front sign sais something like "GAS - It's forbidden to smoke inside, or get inside with a flame". I thought the amp was a little boring, and had that plate lying around my bedroom, so why not?

To allow to switch between Triode and Ultralineal mode, I have drilled a hole that allows you to switch if aided by a pencil or whatever stick-shaped object you may have around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (221.7 KB, 646 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (200.9 KB, 632 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (231.8 KB, 639 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (283.0 KB, 619 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (205.7 KB, 608 views)
Old 6th July 2012, 10:51 AM   #142
diyAudio Member

Before this mesh cover, this amp was so dangerous that you had to be aware of not touching the hot valves or whatever casual accident may happen (kids, pets).
Now you can let you kids have lunch on top of it
Old 14th July 2012, 02:39 AM   #143
diyAudio Member

I am currently drunk, but I am sure I have seen a flashover inside the rectifier tube as soon as I switched on the amplifier. Is that something to care about? Should I expect it to repeat any other times?

Best regards!
Old 22nd July 2012, 03:10 PM   #144
diyAudio Member

Great kit, It is just the amp I want to build,(I should modify it to a 4/8ohm versionn to fit my speakers thouu,,,)
The main problem will be to convince my wife that I need yet another amp,,,,. are more master kits available ? will the kit be availabe some time from now also also??
Best regards
Balle Clorin
Old 25th July 2012, 06:04 PM   #145
nissen is offline nissen  Norway
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to nissen Send a message via MSN to nissen Send a message via Yahoo to nissen
+1.Best regards Nissen
Old 1st August 2012, 03:41 PM   #146
diyAudio Member

Yes, I have 12 more kits available. The only problem is the shipping cost, insurance, and VAT if shipping outside the United States.
Old 13th August 2012, 12:03 PM   #147
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott17 View Post
Yes, I have 12 more kits available. The only problem is the shipping cost, insurance, and VAT if shipping outside the United States.
Despite that fact, I highly recommend this kit as a pretty satisfied customer
Old 7th September 2012, 03:28 AM   #148
diyAudio Member

Hello all,

After much searching and browsing, this is my first actual post to the forum. My main reason for posting is that I have recently completed my cousin's (Scott) KT88 SE Master Kit build. Me being quite the youngster I haven't prior spent much time around vacuum tube amplification. Until the last few years when Scott began engineering this kit. The first time I had the opportunity to listen to and demo the prototype of this amplifier, I was immediately drawn in. I had always been interested in all facets of music reproduction, but this was beyond anything I had experienced.

As the amplifier progressed from the engineering to prototype and now the production stage Scott suggested that with me being interested in electronics/audio, and pursuing an engineering degree that building a kit would be a great project and learning experience. Plus, I was looking to put together an amplifier/speaker setup for listening in my bedroom. So what better kit than this one?

After receiving the kit I decided I wanted to get a nice finish and give it a little flair. So I had the chassis powder coated a textured black since this would fair better than a matte black when it came to cleaning. I then sanded and painted the transformers a satin black. As for the end bells, I wanted a bright green, after discussion with the powder coat shop we agreed granny smith green would be a cool color to go with.

Then began the build. When it comes to building an amplifier of any kind, I am for lack of a better term a complete newb. However doing car and home audio installation and other various audio and electronics related projects, I was very familiar with soldering and also had all of the tools required for the build. I found the manual to be very detail oriented leaving very little to the imagination, which for a beginner as myself this made the build very straight forward. I followed step by step, photo by photo with a few questions here and there. Overall I spent around 20 hours on the build, broken up in small sessions.

Now after completing the amp, I feel as though I've learned quite a bit about how the circuit works. As well as some new techniques with soldering, and testing circuitry. Let me say that for any of you that are interested in a beginners project look no further as this kit is not just for the tube-gurus but also caters to the beginners. However I do recommend doing some reading and research as with anything to become familiarized with what it is that your building.

As for the sound, I'm using a set of BIC Formula FH-65B bookshelf speakers (great sounding inexpensive bookshelf's). They are high sensitivity speakers which work well with the amplifier. The sound is very warm, full, and detailed. I'm hearing all the music I love in such a way that I didn't know was possible. What I'm also extremely impressed with is the low end reproduction with this setup. It's plenty enough low end for any listening situation. Probably the most impressive aspect of my listening experience thus far is the imaging. It's incredible. I can't see the speakers, even if I purposely try to.

Scott has very diligently engineered a truly beautiful piece of audio art here. This amplifier combined with a nice set of speakers in my opinion is capable of the most accurate musical reproduction. I have no doubt that any person, audio enthusiast or not would find this amplifier to be aesthetically pleasing to both the eyes and the ears.

Below I've attached a few photos:

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 9th September 2012, 12:47 AM   #149
diyAudio Member

Congratulations on your completed project. That truly is exemplary work!

Welcome to the world of tube audio.

Scott
Old 14th November 2012, 09:49 PM   #150
diyAudio Member

Default amp kit offer

I have 11 Master Kits available for sale.

I have adjusted the price from $849.00 to $825.00.

You can calculate the shipping cost yourself from US zip code 11430 on this site: Postage Price Calculator

Shipment to the US:
Box 1: 20" x 12" x 5", 11 lbs., insured for $500.00 with tracking.
Box 2: USPS Large Flat Rate Box, insured for $325.00 with tracking.

International Shipping:
Box 1: 20" x 12" x 5", 11 lbs., insured for $500.00 with tracking.
Box 2: USPS Medium Flat Rate Box, insured for $175.00 with tracking.
Box 3: USPS Medium Flat Rate Box, insured for $150.00 with tracking.
Import duty/VAT is your responsibility.

The next 3 orders will receive (2) Ampohm 0.22uF/630V, Paper-in-Oil/Tin Foil coupling capacitors free of charge (as well as the Erse 0.22uF/630V caps that come with the kit).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Technical Data Sheet - PF-XTI-AL_PIO_ 630VDC.pdf (109.5 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by scott17; 14th November 2012 at 09:52 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!