Warpspeed -An Optocoupler Volume Control - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2010, 03:32 PM   #21
Blues is offline Blues  United States
Lightning In A Bottle
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ondesx View Post
People who believe in their ears in defiance of the measurement are the same that those who prefer the religion to faith!

OndesX
If it's music reproduction, I'd rather believe what I can hear...am I going to force myself not to believe because the numbers say so? First I'll probably say, "It can't be!" but I'll probably conclude, "...but I like it!" -which is what matters in our hobby, not religion or faith.
Old 3rd December 2010, 03:33 PM   #22
Lightning In A Bottle
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moray james View Post
you have a pm. regards Moray James.
Got it Moray...will reply in a bit.
Old 3rd December 2010, 03:39 PM   #23
Lightning In A Bottle
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
10k output impedance just doesn't seem possible
This is from 2 different Sony players from different eras. One is an SACD/CD and the other a Blu-ray...I'd think typos would have been corrected between the two.
Old 3rd December 2010, 04:12 PM   #24
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

measurements cannot be disregarded though, subjective assessment is VERY important, but not 100% reliable
Old 3rd December 2010, 04:35 PM   #25
Lightning In A Bottle
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
measurements cannot be disregarded though...
Of course...measuring for safe operation is the most important.
Old 3rd December 2010, 07:20 PM   #26
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

hehe touche, well I think i'm just going to watch from the sidelines for a while, the other thread is getting rather heated up and I must say any critique of this device by zealots does tend to bring on the battle from all corners. it may not be palatable to me for my current usage, but I respect others right to their own taste or motivations in this hobby.

The fact is it measures badly, that is a fact, there are simpler ways of adding pleasing 2nd harmonic distortion in less strange places than at an input where you cannot turn it off, but we all know that is not the whole story. how much of the story it is for any one person is a matter of taste and I cannot argue with that.

I have mostly built up the boards I have had here for some time just recently, but I do not know when I will get a chance to listen to it, my system and everything in it is balanced and this presents some problems, as does the output and inputZ, but that will not stop me trying it out, I have heard it in a friends system, but only with tubes, which are not really my taste so this probably wasnt a fair test.

try and keep it a clean fight chaps
Old 3rd December 2010, 09:13 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to georgehifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
The fact is it measures badly, that is a fact, there are simpler ways of adding pleasing 2nd harmonic distortion in less strange places than at an input where you cannot turn it off, but we all know that is not the whole story. how much of the story it is for any one person is a matter of taste and I cannot argue with that.

cheers:

"measures badly" I would not consider .01% 2nd harmonic a bad measurment, at full level 0dbu from a cdp which they never reach on normal cd's it's still only .1%.

Then consider the lack of distortion "diode rectifcation effect" a pots wiper contact gives which can't be measured, this is why so many say the Lightspeed is the cleanest full bodied sound they have heard. Trust your ears as well as the analysing equiptment.

Cheers George
Old 4th December 2010, 09:01 AM   #28
Lightning In A Bottle
diyAudio Member

Going back to these postings by Mr. Pass Lightspeed Attenuator a new passive preamp and the attached %THD vs V curves...if you look at it, most systems would operate in that valley region up to 0.5V.

With an amp with a gain of 10 this would already be 5V at the loudspeakers very loud even for moderate speaker sensitivity. Voltage peaks this high will only be instantaneous hard drum whacks very short in duration so it's not like you are listening to a continuous 0.025% distortion like if it were a sine wave fed into the amp. An F5 at gain of only 5 will also be already loud.

Correct me if I'm wrong Mr. Pass, your test set-up was the 600R source with a shunt LDR? Will there be an improvement with series-shunt LDRs' distortion cancellation especially at series LDR = shunt LDR values?
Attached Images
File Type: gif NP's thd vs V nsl32sr2s.gif (8.1 KB, 1699 views)
Old 4th December 2010, 11:14 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues View Post
I'd think typos would have been corrected between the two.
I'd think common sense should prevail. Or maybe not.
Old 4th December 2010, 11:19 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgehifi View Post
Then consider the lack of distortion "diode rectifcation effect" a pots wiper contact gives which can't be measured,

So,to put it simply: high measurable distortion but low immeasurable

Hide this!Advertise here!