Warpspeed -An Optocoupler Volume Control - Page 20 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th April 2012, 07:24 AM   #191
Blues is offline Blues  United States
Lightning In A Bottle
diyAudio Member

Default It's greener on the other side...

In my quest for a multi-dimensional Warpspeed, it was leading me towards a switch to a rectified AC power supply to feed a circuit that is now 3x the original circuit.

It turns out a re-thinking is in order and that the original circuit can be further tweaked for a still lower power demand without comprimising sound quality or volume level range. This tweak enables the 6-ch V24 to work on batteries like the stereo circuits. The Balanced V24 circuitry, doubling in its current needs, will also be in batteries!

On 4x 9V alkaline battery supply, the Unbalanced V24 will last for at least 2 years and a Bal V24 version will do so for at least a year. A V4 with the added circuitry is estimated to last the typical 5-year shelf-life printed on the alkalines. And these estimates are for a 5-hour daily use! Maximum current demand will still be at the very extremes of the main volume knob(full CCW/full CW), but I'm pretty sure these knob positions won't be where you would be.

I have fully tested this greener feature and will now be trickled down to all new builds. Also, the xW1 proving itself a worthwhile addition will now come standard on all new V4 and V8 builds. The xW2 remains as an option.

Old 4th April 2012, 06:27 PM   #192
Lightning In A Bottle
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues View Post
...Also, the xW1 proving itself a worthwhile addition will now come standard on all new V4 and V8 builds.
I made this announcement too soon...I still have a couple of the regular 'Squids without the xW feature, available for V4 units at the old pricing.

And anyone not requiring the xW balance control can always make the request...no problem.

Email or pm if interested...
Old 7th April 2012, 02:07 AM   #193
Lightning In A Bottle
diyAudio Member

The estimates above are overly optimistic, as I failed to consider a branch on the basic circuit, so I take those back. With the lower current circuitry, below is a more realistic estimate for an average 3-hr/day use on a 7Ah SLA battery:

Unbal (original circuit)
2-ch 361 days (336)
6-ch 173 days

Bal
2-ch 354 days (327)
6-ch 168 days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues View Post
...Maximum current demand will still be at the very extremes of the main volume knob(full CCW/full CW), but I'm pretty sure these knob positions won't be where you would be.
This still holds true and if left powered up continuously at min or max knob positions battery life will be cut in half or more for the V24.

Last edited by Blues; 7th April 2012 at 02:10 AM.
Old 7th April 2012, 09:26 PM   #194
Lightning In A Bottle
diyAudio Member

Default HT App

V24.ht on Fig. 3 or 4 of post #190...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Warpspeed CE V24.ht.jpg (53.5 KB, 314 views)
Old 7th April 2012, 09:30 PM   #195
Lightning In A Bottle
diyAudio Member

Default 6-ch Unbal

V24.6ch -RCA IN/OUT for Fig. 1 post#190...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Warpspeed CE V24.6ch.jpg (50.4 KB, 307 views)
Old 10th April 2012, 05:43 AM   #196
Lightning In A Bottle
diyAudio Member

Default Variable Cylinder Management

To explain the the rear panel switch labeled +4ch > 2ch...this enables you to switch off 4 channels when you're cruising in stereo. Another green way of doing things and save on battery power if not in HT mode.

Also, the LVL controls on top adjust levels relative to each channel and these levels will be maintained when the main volume knob is rotated.

Last edited by Blues; 10th April 2012 at 05:46 AM.
Old 18th April 2012, 12:29 AM   #197
Lightning In A Bottle
diyAudio Member

Thanks to a gentleman from MI the first V24 will be built and the Kraken unleashed on the shores of Lake Michigan! I appreciate your confidence in the Warpspeed and for your trailblazing spirit!

Old 19th April 2012, 05:24 AM   #198
Lightning In A Bottle
diyAudio Member

Default Parallel Dimensions

V24b.6ch
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Warpspeed CE V24b.6ch.pdf (24.3 KB, 83 views)
Old 26th April 2012, 12:57 AM   #199
Lightning In A Bottle
diyAudio Member

The V24.6ch build is complete and it's on the test bench...tested a couple of parameters...the inclusion of the low current draw circuit sacrificed about 2.5dB of attenuation range of channel level (LVL 1-6) control. It now has a range of about 5.5 to 6dB down from the original 8dB. This is still great and will be more than enough to level balance each channel with respect to one another. Aside from that it is mirroring the 'Squid's technical performance and precision.

The LVL pots are calibrated with the Kraken while set at midpoint (5 scale on the dial) so we have an adjustment range of -3dB thru 3dB wherever the main VC setting will be.

Old 27th April 2012, 05:19 AM   #200
Lightning In A Bottle
diyAudio Member

Default Cephalopods!

The Humboldt and the Colossal?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The 'Squid and the Kraken.jpg (27.5 KB, 213 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!