Warpspeed -An Optocoupler Volume Control - Page 15 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th August 2011, 04:19 PM   #141
Blues is offline Blues  United States
Lightning In A Bottle
diyAudio Member

PMed back, Ted...
Old 30th August 2011, 07:40 PM   #142
Lightning In A Bottle
diyAudio Member

pelliot gave me a heads-up which led me to download the attached...the $60k Altair preamp circuit is by John Curl(?) I think.

Quoted from their description..."Instead of the mechanical potentiometer found in most high-end preamps, the Altair uses optically controlled resistors that can be adjusted to an accuracy of 0.1 dB. To maintain the Altair’s perfect positive/negative signal balance and left/right channel balance in all operating conditions, we use 48 of these resistors—an expensive but undeniably superior design."
Attached Files
File Type: zip Constellation Audio -Altair.zip (335.3 KB, 85 views)
Old 30th August 2011, 10:50 PM   #143
udailey is offline udailey  United States
diyAudio Member

Dartzeel apparently uses 100 ldrs. Is that per channel or total I don't know. Have heard it runs around 27000.
Old 31st August 2011, 04:16 PM   #144
Lightning In A Bottle
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues View Post
Quoted from their description -"...we use 48 of these resistors—an expensive but undeniably superior design."
Aaahh, speculations abound...here's mine. Simple math reveals 48 LDRs = (4 RCA inputs x 4 LDRs) + (4 XLR inputs x 8 LDRs). Processor control is switched to each input...
Old 31st August 2011, 04:43 PM   #145
udailey is offline udailey  United States
diyAudio Member

Just doesn't make sense to use an individual attenuator for each source. That's why I subscribe to the parallel ldr theory. Either way I bet it sounds great.
Old 2nd September 2011, 12:24 AM   #146
Lightning In A Bottle
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Pass View Post
The XP30 is pretty spectacular, particularly on sonics. It also has a couple of features that I requested - dual sets of outputs with variable level adjustment between them for bi-amping,...
A golden nugget of inspiration again from NP...I have some ideas and will try to develop something using the Warpspeed.

Advantages are we can mix and match different design/gain power amps for passive bi-amping the top and bottom; and adjust top/bottom levels to our taste and room requirements. Might also be a good partner to the B5 for active bi-amping...
Old 2nd September 2011, 11:44 PM   #147
Lightning In A Bottle
diyAudio Member

Default Warpspeed SE only

Newly minted, first pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Warpspeed SE 007.jpg (170.3 KB, 387 views)
File Type: jpg Warpspeed SE 008.jpg (180.4 KB, 382 views)
File Type: jpg Warpspeed SE 009.jpg (140.4 KB, 369 views)
File Type: jpg Warpspeed SE 014.jpg (165.0 KB, 368 views)
Old 12th September 2011, 10:41 AM   #148
diyAudio Member

I received my kit last week and have been busy looking for the perfect enclosure.

Meanwhile, I have a question about batteries. If I was to use a 12v 10ah sealed lead acid (like Dodd's use) would there be any risk of over current to my Warpspeed??? Would some kind of current-limiting be necessary???

Another question... possibly off-topic

What is the reason that some of the enclosures pictured in have such tall feet???

Thanks,

Last edited by sandbasser; 12th September 2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12th September 2011, 03:17 PM   #149
Lightning In A Bottle
diyAudio Member

Hi Ray, the W'squid has current limiting...but long before it kicks in, with a high current fault the optos would be long gone to semiconductor heaven...they'd blow like a fuse and open the circuit.

The feet...it was just the look and feel (and some damping) I was going for. In my own little imagination, seen from the side the chassis looks like a silver-headed black panther poised to lunge...
Old 12th September 2011, 10:28 PM   #150
diyAudio Member

Blues -

So, are you saying I should stick with the 16 alkaline D-Cell solution???

Thanks,

Hide this!Advertise here!