Warpspeed -An Optocoupler Volume Control - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th June 2011, 12:56 AM   #121
Blues is offline Blues  United States
Lightning In A Bottle
diyAudio Member

What the heck Chief Salas?! What's wrong with it staying here?
Old 16th June 2011, 01:24 AM   #122
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Its the forum's taxonomy. When its an offering it goes here.
Old 16th June 2011, 05:59 PM   #123
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Blues, you have a PM.
Old 23rd June 2011, 09:28 PM   #124
drjlo is offline drjlo  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues View Post
email quote..."I can't believe I might be dumping my Transcendent Sound preamp that that I have been tweaking for the last three years."
Uhhh, since I have a fully teflonized grounded grid with lots of mods as well as diyparadise Eva LDR, I would ask to be placed on the Warpspeed tour. I am in Southern CA and don't mind waiting until the demo units makes it to the West Coast. You got PM.
Old 24th June 2011, 12:35 PM   #125
diyAudio Member

drjlo
I am the one that Blues quoted. Yes my modded TS GG is on the shelf! I think the GG is a pretty good preamp, very quite, clean, fast, but with a slightly cold presentation. I never fell in love with it. I tried lots of things but it just never really happened for me. The WarpSpeed just simply blew it away. It took all of about 30 seconds to realize what I was missing. There is real life in the music now. So much more involving. If you do not need the gain this is the way to go. You will not be disappointed. I think most of the bump in the music quality is that you are losing the AC mains garbage. I always thought the PS for the GG was lacking.
Right now I have replaced the pot in the Dodd buffer with the Warpspeed and at first listen it is pretty darn good, but more time for further evaluation is needed. Will I try the Warpspeed in the GG, maybe but its low on the list.
Old 24th June 2011, 06:40 PM   #126
drjlo is offline drjlo  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelliott View Post
drjlo
I am the one that Blues quoted. Yes my modded TS GG is on the shelf! I think the GG is a pretty good preamp, very quite, clean, fast, but with a slightly cold presentation. I never fell in love with it. I tried lots of things but it just never really happened for me. The WarpSpeed just simply blew it away. It took all of about 30 seconds to realize what I was missing. There is real life in the music now. So much more involving. If you do not need the gain this is the way to go. You will not be disappointed. I think most of the bump in the music quality is that you are losing the AC mains garbage. I always thought the PS for the GG was lacking.
Right now I have replaced the pot in the Dodd buffer with the Warpspeed and at first listen it is pretty darn good, but more time for further evaluation is needed. Will I try the Warpspeed in the GG, maybe but its low on the list.
Hey, it's your post on AudioCircle that led me to this thread. My handle is "Jon L" there..

Obviously active tube preamps simply will not have the transparency of something like LDR, as even my Eva LDR is much more transparent than the heavily-modded grounded grid. But active tube preamps do have a righteous place in many other systems.

I would be using the Eva right now if it weren't for the not-fine-enough volume control increments for my high-efficiency speakers. This also brings up remote volume control for Warpspeed..
Old 27th June 2011, 11:42 AM   #127
diyAudio Member

the warpspeed uses a precision multi-turn pot which works very well. I think you will have trouble finding one that is remote controlled
Old 27th June 2011, 12:42 PM   #128
diyAudio Member

It might be possible to adapt one of those PIC control remote control designs to cater for the 3 turns of the pot
- or possibly one of those input selector versions that could be used to select 3 "ranges" of resistance and one standard remote vol pot to achieve the same result as the multiturn pot - seems reasonable, but ....
Old 28th June 2011, 12:29 PM   #129
diyAudio Member

I know remotes have a cool factor, but do not feel the need so I am happy with the standard set up. My music room is only 12X18, I am never very far from the volume control
Old 9th July 2011, 05:32 AM   #130
Blues is offline Blues  United States
Lightning In A Bottle
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelliott View Post
I know remotes have a cool factor, but...
I happened onto your system pics here...Albums by pelliott321. Mighty impressive speaker builds you have there, Paul!

Hide this!Advertise here!