Another project, all digital DDX amplifier - Page 39 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th January 2013, 07:59 PM   #381
diyAudio Member

Default DEQX with digital outs

Hi Soundcheck,

The DEQX is a very comprehensive piece of kit....
6 channel DAC's, 2 channel A to D, pre-amp, measurement suite ( phase, frequency, impulse response and group delay) FIR plus IIR crossovers, i.e. Linear phase and/ or Butterworth / Linkwitz

My DEQX has the optional digital out board, 3 SPDIF digital outs Plus 3 AES balanced digital outs.
It also has the pre - amp option.
I replaced the thin steel case and back panel ( poor quality) with a 10mm thick custom acrylic ( smoked black ) case with a laser etched stainless steel back panel and top quality insulated connectors.

lt has full remote control operation, and or lap top / tablet remote control.

Plus balanced or RCA analog in with internal A to D at 24bit 96KHz processing.

Plus it is a full test tone generator and measurement suite with both 44KHz and 96KHz processing... Plus its killer USP is its ability to measure AND correct in both phase ( time) and frequency:
(1) individual drivers.
(2) each loudspeaker channel.
(3) the room.

It measures:
(1) Impulse response.
(2) Phase.
(3) Group Delay.
(4) Frequency Response.

Then uses the above data to implement TRUE time corrected Linear Phase crossovers at any slope / frequency your heart desires...It only takes me 5 minutes to change my entire crossover set up from traditional 6 dB per octave Butterworth to 96 dB per octave Linear phase...
Comparisons between crossover points / slopes / with / without room Eq / driver correction / run a driver full range or band pass it ....there is no limit to the variables....
As a testing and development tool its UNIQUE at its ( justifiable) price point and as a killer crossover in a high end system its a beautiful way to hear music.

As you can tell I am a DEQX fan and any comparison with a Behringer is just ridiculous!

Mine is three years old and still amazing...I am thinking about selling mine to buy the latest version. As a speaker designer a DEQX is almost indispensable.

Even although I am currently aiming to develop a 100% PC based system with all Eq and crossovers done in software mode ( i.e. No DEQX) the DEQX is still a great value design tool and awesome musical crossover and Eq.

Phew..Feel better now!
Cheers
Derek.
Old 11th January 2013, 10:13 AM   #382
raschaa is offline raschaa  Germany
diyAudio Member

OK, time for a noob question

Is there any chance of modifying xover frequencies on the ddx. I really would like to try 60Hz.
Old 11th January 2013, 10:45 AM   #383
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raschaa View Post
OK, time for a noob question

Is there any chance of modifying xover frequencies on the ddx. I really would like to try 60Hz.
Have a look at the STA320 datasheet. I think lowest fixed value is 80Hz.
Old 11th January 2013, 10:55 AM   #384
diyAudio Member

found this in which 0000 is user-defined?

Table 22. Bass Management Crossover Frequency

XO3..0) Crossover Frequency
0000 User -Defined
0001 80 Hz
0010 100 Hz
0011 120 Hz
0100 140 Hz
0101 160 Hz
0110 180 Hz
0111 200 Hz
1000 220 Hz
1001 240 Hz
1010 260 Hz
1011 280 Hz
1100 300 Hz
1101 320 Hz
1110 340 Hz
1111 360 Hz

unfortunately I'm by no means electronics savvy enough to know if this helps on the quest for a lower xover frequency. now my question would be since it says "user-defined" how to go about defining it....
Old 16th January 2013, 07:19 AM   #385
diyAudio Member

Hi folks.

Just learned that the DDX V2 - the way it is constructed today - is NOT able to handle I2S.

I was told that the MCU communicates with the WM8805 about samplerates.

I have no ideas what actions are taken based on that aquired information.

Without the WM8805 in the loop you won't get the thing working.

Cheers
Old 17th January 2013, 11:17 AM   #386
diyAudio Member

Hi there.

I added a small appendix about my DDX V2 modifications to the Full Digital Amp article, that you'll find on my blog.

Cheers
Old 17th January 2013, 11:29 AM   #387
diyAudio Member

Old 17th January 2013, 01:52 PM   #388
dezzz is offline dezzz  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Interesting read! Just received mine yesterday and will be testing some of your modifications as soon as it settles in. Regarding the LipoFe4 3.3V battery supply, do you simply plug it in when listening and recharge it when not?

On my DDX there is a horrible distortion when activating either of the Bass-Boost filters, is this something you recognize or could I blame it on a horribly underpowered temporary power supply.
Old 17th January 2013, 06:24 PM   #389
Sandor is offline Sandor  Italy
diyAudio Member

I find strange that the datasheet does not contain a power/distortion diagram. The only indication is the peak power when the amp starts to hard clip (10% distortion). Which rms output power could we expect at a reasonable distortion, say 0.5% ?

@Soundcheck
1) Wich power supply do you use? Is it better to feed the DDX320 with a power transformer (AC) or a SMPS300R (DC)? Do you think a linear power supply would provide improvements in sound?

2) In your blog you suggest to add a transformer to the spdif inputs, but looking at the schematic I found that the DDX320 already has those input transoformers. Do you mean the additional spdif inputs directly connected to the receiver through the CN1 connector?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited by Sandor; 17th January 2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old 28th January 2013, 08:04 PM   #390
jrling is offline jrling  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimediy View Post
Hi, Nicolas who runs audiophonics.fr is one of my friend, so it's not strange to see some board there. And it's ok to use DDX with S-350 27V.
I am a bit confused.

Audiophonics STA328 amp is not the same as HifimeDiy DDX320 (STA320) amp.
I could not see the STA328 amp on Hifimediy website?

Any views as to which is the better of the two?

Hide this!Advertise here!