• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

New 8" full range speaker from L CAO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

This new project is welcomed. It's good to see new designers entering the market.

Thanks for the detailed measurements, but with relatively high Q peaks in the consonant and especially in the sibilance BWs, at USA pricing these would have to be addressed before I would want to spend any quality time with them.

I tend to agree with GM on this, however we will have to wait for the first reviews to see how the frequency response translates in subjective terms. I have a feeling that it might sound similar to B200.

By the way, very nice pictures. May I ask what's the surround made of? It's transparent, am I right? Is that mylar or something?

HighVividity, good luck with your project!

SunRa said:
Hello,

This new project is welcomed. It's good to see new designers entering the market.

I tend to agree with GM on this, however we will have to wait for the first reviews to see how the frequency response translates in subjective terms. I have a feeling that it might sound similar to B200.

By the way, very nice pictures. May I ask what's the surround made of? It's transparent, am I right? Is that mylar or something?

HighVividity, good luck with your project!

Thank you! But his is not my project, it is L CAO's, who is in China. I am in Ohio and merely want best full range drivers on market to be less expensive.

L CAO once said the surround was paper itself. It is semi-transparent because of its thickness. I will ask him to see whether he changed the surround, because on the photo it does not look like paper.

at what level and microphone distance was ~3% K2 at 500Hz measured (assuming that trace wasn't raised for clarity-?) 8 Pa on an online calculator is ~112dB - -was that the test level?

is K2 "peak" at 500 of any consequence with music? how does this driver and its recommended TQWT cabinet perform subjectively on bowed bass viola, cello, drums and various vocals versus typical Fostex setups? Since at Ebay this driver is sold along with the Hemp fullrange - what are the strength's of L Cao's creation vs the Hemp?

I have forwarded your questions to L Cao, but expect delays since it is now Chinese new year. What I know is that the trace was not raised for clarity.

L Cao 's speaker has earned its reputation from its first customers. Most of them are in China. I, as L Cao's US distributor, started to loan some pairs of speakers to listeners in the US so people here will have a chance to get their subjective impression. It is hard to tell how a speaker sounds unless you listen to it. I have very limited stock though.

The Ebay seller is the Hongkong distributor "onecaudio". His store is at http://www.onecaudio.com/LCao_eng.htm, you may ask him about the Hemp fullrange directly.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I was able to get my pair hooked up this weekend in my 3 x 5' OB's
with the Eminence 15 " betas. They are quite good, and while they
are comparable to other products in this price range, they are
different in interesting ways. I have not had another FR driver which
managed as much top end without a whizzer.

I am correcting them with a -3 to -6 dB low Q notch at about 5 KHz

In any case, worth consideration, and I'll have some more later.

:cool:

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
freddi said:
is K2 "peak" at 500 of any consequence with music? how does this driver and its recommended TQWT cabinet perform subjectively on bowed bass viola, cello, drums and various vocals versus typical Fostex setups? Since at Ebay this driver is sold along with the Hemp fullrange - what are the strength's of L Cao's creation vs the Hemp?

At about 550 Hz there is a small secondary resonance which can be
seen as a bump in the impedance curve. It shows up on the response
curve as a dip.

I don't know of any FR driver that doesn't have a couple of warts.

at what level and microphone distance was ~3% K2 at 500Hz measured (assuming that trace wasn't raised for clarity-?) 8 Pa on an online calculator is ~112dB - -was that the test level? is K2 "peak" at 500 of any consequence with music? how does this driver and its recommended TQWT cabinet perform subjectively on bowed bass viola, cello, drums and various vocals versus typical Fostex setups? Since at Ebay this driver is sold along with the Hemp fullrange - what are the strength's of L Cao's creation vs the Hemp?

Cao said the condition was 1meter and 1Watt, with the speaker in the recommended TQWT enclosure. He said the 500Hz K2 peak might be due to enclosure resonance.

He also said (the speaker in) that enclosure was better in reproducing drums than viola.

One of his user compared it with FE206E owned by the user's friend. The result favored the former .

Nelson Pass said:
They are quite good, and while they
are comparable to other products in this price range, they are
different in interesting ways. I have not had another FR driver which
managed as much top end without a whizzer.

nelson, can you tell us how they compare to the fostex 166es-r ?
same $range as 166es-r were however it appears that they won't require as large and heavy of a enclosure which would be very good for me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/L-Cao-full-rang...367621&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1458
if $$ing remains consistent i'd be very interested in the alnico or f.c. version. anyone have updated info on those?

if $$ing remains consistent i'd be very interested in the alnico or f.c. version. anyone have updated info on those?

$$ will (most probably) be higher for the alnico or field coil version, as the way it is. Field coil is still far away in the future, while Alnico version will be sooner.

I have only ferrite version in my stock. As I am in Ohio you can expect lower shipping.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
:cop:
Hi HighVividity,
Since you are the US distributor for this product, you should have started this thread in the Vendors area.

In future, please be clear when you have a commercial connection to any products for sale.

I'll put it there for you.

-Chris
:cop:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.