For Sale: NHT Loudspeaker drivers and amps-Discussion Thread - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Vendor Forums > Vendor's Bazaar

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th June 2007, 09:27 AM   #1
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Default For Sale: NHT Loudspeaker drivers and amps-Discussion Thread

This is the Discussion Thread for this paid advertising thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...96#post1234996

It is for for product support, discussion, or feedback and can be posted to by all members. It cannot be edited by the advertising thread renter.
Old 17th June 2007, 01:21 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I got some of the upper bass and midrange drivers for the 3.3s, one of my favorite cone-and-box speakers. My idea is to do a design generally based on the 3.3, but with some appropriate updates. Jack was kind enough to give some suggestions based on their experience, most of which will be incorporated. These include multiamping, steeper acoustic crossover slopes, some rearrangement of the box loading of the upper bass driver, and the substitution of multiple 10" woofers for the 12" Foster 1259. I'll probably separate the bass cabinets from the other three drivers, but I'm still pondering that one.

If anyone else wants to participate in the design, construction, and modification of an updated 3.3 clone (it's not really a clone, it's a clown), I'd be delighted. The NHT version of the H453 seems to be an excellent midrange, and it's silly-cheap.
Old 17th June 2007, 06:17 PM   #3
diyAudio Editor

It was SY who dropped in on NHT who are in his hometown, and was talking to Jack Hidley who mentioned he had lots of cool stuff for members at blow-out prices and viola: a great deal for us all.

I have to say , the first thing that I thought of was some kind of standard speaker that lots of us could build. So grabbing some of the drivers SY has might be wise
Old 19th June 2007, 02:49 AM   #4
BWRX is offline BWRX  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I snagged some of the shielded and unshielded 4" seas drivers, dome tweeters, and the 8" woofers. Can't do speaker projects without the drivers!
Old 19th June 2007, 03:15 AM   #5
PB2 is offline PB2  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
I got some of the upper bass and midrange drivers for the 3.3s, one of my favorite cone-and-box speakers. My idea is to do a design generally based on the 3.3, but with some appropriate updates. Jack was kind enough to give some suggestions based on their experience, most of which will be incorporated. These include multiamping, steeper acoustic crossover slopes, some rearrangement of the box loading of the upper bass driver, and the substitution of multiple 10" woofers for the 12" Foster 1259. I'll probably separate the bass cabinets from the other three drivers, but I'm still pondering that one.

If anyone else wants to participate in the design, construction, and modification of an updated 3.3 clone (it's not really a clone, it's a clown), I'd be delighted. The NHT version of the H453 seems to be an excellent midrange, and it's silly-cheap.

The NHT-3.3 crossover schematic was published on the web many years ago. I considered cloning it years ago and did some simulations. The upper mid is a custom version of the SEAS MP12 as I recall, Ken Kantor states that different adhesives were specified. It is a true midrange with a short voice coil and therefore throw.

I also considered separate bass cabinets, so that the mains could be simple towers.

Pete B.
Old 19th June 2007, 03:34 AM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

The part number is slightly different on the midrange and the Xmax limitation (1mm) definitely marks it as a midrange. 300Hz acoustic 4th LR as a high-pass makes sense to me.
Old 19th June 2007, 04:24 AM   #7
diyAudio Editor

Remember This is the Discussion Thread for this paid advertising thread:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...96#post1234996
Old 19th June 2007, 09:51 PM   #8
bzo is offline bzo  United States
diyAudio Member

wow, I'd like to make my own Sub Two with the VT-3 amp and the drivers. I wonder if using the amp is as simple as hooking up the power, adding RCA connections and feeding it a suitable low frequency signal? Jhidley's comment about posting design guidlines makes me wonder if there is more to it than that?
Old 19th June 2007, 10:23 PM   #9
diyAudio Moderator

Not much more than that. Some active crossover work (probably about $10 of Radio Shack parts) and you've got a sub with an amazing ratio of performance to cost.
Old 20th June 2007, 02:09 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Jack Hidley
The SubTwo used the same Sunfire power amp as the VT-3. However, both the VT-3 and SubTwo controllers had some excursion and thermal limiters built into them. These would be very difficult to replicate. I don't think the thermal limiting is really needed, but the excursion limiter is needed if you are stupid with the program material and volume knob.

We are considering offering an option to the VT3 amplifiers, of an already installed RCA or XLR connector. This way the amp would be plug and play. If you combine this with an NHT X2 crossover, you can do basically any crossover stuff you want. I'll post some details on the site once we get it worked out.

Hide this!Advertise here!