• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

DIY Enclosures LLC - a new chassis manufacturing company in the USA.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For my money I think the chassis at www.designbuildlisten.com are a diyers´dream come true.I have never seen anything like these available anywhere else.With the predrilled slots/holes /internal panels /external wood´panel options etc you could save 80% of your chassis building time and have a great looking case at the same time.The prices are very reasonable but the shipping may be expensive from New Zealand(!).

The online store at http://www.diyenclosures.com is now open for orders. Orders will ship same or next business day up until the 23rd of Dec. All products are in stock. There may be a few glitches with the site which you can email me about. One restriction exists now: that shipping address must be the same as billing address. If you have problems with this, please leave me an email and I can contact you by phone. Thanks and I hope everyone enjoys the new enclosures.

I just wanted to make a few more clarifications about the company and its website. We are located in Boise, ID while the chassis are manufactured in Portland, OR. The website is a fully automated ecommerce site, which accepts VISA/MC and American Express check cards. We ship domestically via UPS and USPS, while international shipments are made via USPS. All prices are displayed in US dollars and shipping will be determined for you automatically. Use the "customize this chassis" buttons to choose the chassis options and to add them to your shopping cart. Thank you and I wish everyone happy holidays.

-Michael Woods
DIY Enclosures LLC

Here are the cutout dimensions for the heatsink versions:

DIY-1712HS
2x windowed cutouts per side measure 3.5" (88.9mm) long by 1.5" (38.1mm) tall with .25" (6.35mm) radiused corners.

DIY-1013HS
2x windowed cutouts per side measure 4" (101.6mm) long by 2" (50.8mm) tall with .5" 12.7mm) radiused corners.

Acid,

Currently I only have this one heatsink type available. It's dimensions are 5.375" (136.5) in length and 6" (152.4) in height, with 1" (25.4) tall fins. There are four of them included with the DIY-1013HS. I hadn't anticipated that the 1013HS would be so popular, so I have only started with a trial run using these heatsinks. If the business goes well, then I'll most definitely produce a custom heatsink that we can all agree upon. But until then, what you see is what you get.

eboz said:
I'm having a short setback and I won't be able to process orders again until late next week. Please contact me via email if you wish to make an order and pay via paypal. Thanks for your patience.

-Michael Woods

Ok! More bugs have been worked out of the website. The shipping works in IE now and I can process the online transactions. I've also adjusted the shipping weights down some, so shipping estimates will be less expensive. You can still email me and request other payments such as Paypal or money order, but the preferred method is by using the online VISA/MC option. I'm also letting everyone know that if you post pictures of your projects on the DIY/audio forums (any of them), just send me a link to it and I'll give you a 5% discount on your next order!

Just received my preamp chassis and wanted to send some feedback, since your site asked for suggestions here. First off, it came in quick order, well packaged. The little cloth bags to protect the knobs was a great touch. The front panel and lettering were great, just what I expected. Where I was a bit disappointed was in the very thin top, bottom, back and side panels. This stuff feels even thiner than the Hammond aluminum chassis, which ain't great by any means. I can easily twist and flex the sides. I'd highly recommend a beefier aluminum, say 0.09" all around, or at least back and bottom for better rigidity. This is especially true for those of us working w/tube stuff since those transfomers can be heavy, and tubes always appreciate a nice rigid mounting structure. Thanks for addressing the need of the DIY'er for a more visually appealing product. It's a great start and much appreciated!
Oh, one more quick suggestion - maybe outlandishly expensive. How about an all copper chassis w/faceplate, for building phono preamp enclosures? Thanks!

smbrown said:
Just received my preamp chassis and wanted to send some feedback, since your site asked for suggestions here. First off, it came in quick order, well packaged. The little cloth bags to protect the knobs was a great touch. The front panel and lettering were great, just what I expected. Where I was a bit disappointed was in the very thin top, bottom, back and side panels. This stuff feels even thiner than the Hammond aluminum chassis, which ain't great by any means. I can easily twist and flex the sides. I'd highly recommend a beefier aluminum, say 0.09" all around, or at least back and bottom for better rigidity. This is especially true for those of us working w/tube stuff since those transfomers can be heavy, and tubes always appreciate a nice rigid mounting structure. Thanks for addressing the need of the DIY'er for a more visually appealing product. It's a great start and much appreciated!
Oh, one more quick suggestion - maybe outlandishly expensive. How about an all copper chassis w/faceplate, for building phono preamp enclosures? Thanks!

Steve,
I'm glad that you're happy with the quick service and with the knobs. It's unfortunate that I can't provide thicker side panels. This is the trade-off I had to make in order to sell a very affordable chassis that is of all aluminum construction. The top plates can be ordered blank for tube projects, which are of .08 thickness. These panel thicknesses are also provided on the website. Perhaps when I have a higher volume of sales and an increase in price, I would be able to sell thicker side panels. Until then I'd recommend doing as you are and adding some reenforcement when necessary. I've found that the chassis can hold quite a lot of weight both internally and externally when fully assembled, but damping can still be an issue. Thanks for your order and I hope that you'll post pictures of your project. Do you plan on removing any of the silkscreen/numbered inputs?

Attachments

• chipamp4a.jpg
    chipamp4a.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 1,852
I recently received the 1712-HS chassis and it's beautifully done. The anodizing on the panels and heatsinks was perfect. I've used Hammond and a few other enclosures in the past, and I like this one best. The front panel was well done and the brushed finish was very attractive (AFAIK, something that the US/Canada DIY enclosure companies don't offer). The vented top slots were perfectly cut and the edges were smooth, as were all of the panels.

I have no issue with the panel gauge because of two considerations:
- the enclosure is rigid and adequately sturdy when assembled; and
- the modest gauge makes it easier for those of us that have bench-top drill presses and limited chassis punches to poke nice holes.:)

So, I'm happy with the purchase, I felt the price was fair for a nice case with easily integrated heatsinks. Now our half-kits and homemade contraptions can have a home that has quality commensurate with their sound.

I'll be doing a SKA 150D Class A dual mono in this one. Later, I plan to put an amp4 in a smaller box like the 0610.

Agreed, these are miles ahead of the Hammond stuff. I've always wondered why Hammond, who seem to be conscious of the DIY thing ohterwise, put so little effort into beefing up their chassis offerings. At any rate, I've done some bracing inside, and yes, once it's all togehter, it's more sturdy.

smbrown said:
I've always wondered why Hammond, who seem to be conscious of the DIY thing ohterwise, put so little effort into beefing up their chassis offerings.

Last time I was at an electronics store, the Chinese made chassis were made of aluminum that was stronger, thicker and had a better temper - and 1/2 the price or less! :eek:

Might be a reason....

DIY O908 and DIY 1712 enclosures are here!

Okay, here's a true story.

I ordered on Thursday January 25th, the enclosures were shipped on Thursday, and at my doorstep on Saturday morning. Michael is in Idaho and I'm in Ohio. Via USPS just 2 days. Simply amazing and fantastic customer service :worship: .

The enclosures look excellent! There is some very, very slight marring on some of the edges but you have to squint a bit to see it on the affected pieces.

I was surprised to see that the 1712 front panels have decent corner radii.

The 1712 will be for a dual mono LM3875 chip amp and the 0908 will be for a NOS-USB dac I'm building.

The rear & front panels will be sent to Front Panel Express for hole drilling and engraving. I just need to drilll a few holes myself on the bottom panels which I can do with a simple drill press since the bottom panels are only about 1.27 mm thick.

I'll be purchasing again! I can see myself building a TVC preamp using Intact Audio autoformers in the 0908 enclosure which is just the perfect size!

Make no mistake fellas, if you want affordable, great looking enclosures and don't wanna go crazy with wooden enclosures (which are very pretty), I can confidently endorse Michael's work.

Anand :D

What is the thermal rating of each individual heatsink in the 1712HS?

And could you tell me if this is a good idea or bad idea? I have some .032" copper sheeting. If I cut 4 pieces to size and bonded it to the back of the heatsink using a thermal epoxy, would it have real world benefits? The output trans (of a GB150D for instance) would then be attached to the copper, and a thermal paste used. My thinking is that the copper properly bonded would help spread heat more evenly and efficiently into the aluminum sink.

If it would help I could also do like I used to do with computer CPU's and heatsinks, where you sand the CPU core and back of the heatsink to a mirror shine and then attach with thermal paste ... I could usually overclock a bit more after doing that, so I assume it would have the same benefits in this application. It's all about heat transfer.

I guess what I'm getting at, is would it be possible to run 4 GB150D amps in AB mode in a 1712HS case? My rack is well ventilated, and obviously I'd get the top vented version of the 1712.

Hey, nice site and cool products! I just would like to suggest that it'd be really nice if the 1712 chassis came with the option of only being 1.75-2" tall. Tube amplifiers often will put the bulky parts above the chassis, and put a grill over that if need be. The 1712's cavernous 3.5 inches would look clunky with the additional height of tubes, transformers, etc. It'd be even cooler if you offered front and rear panels that started at the bottom of the chassis and extended to around 4-5" above the chassis. Just a couple ideas.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.