• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

FS: „Ultra Low Noise“ Power Supply, LT3045 based PCB’s

What is balanced in this context? Picture?

Here is an internal picture of my feeder supply for my dual LS-HPULN which is connected to a balanced isolation transformer.

7FB4D22E-E496-426D-89DF-D2CDCE337A27.jpeg

Last edited:
That’s it? No reasons why common mode chokes are better than balanced transformers? :(

There's no point me repeatedly stating my opinion. You appear to be trying to make it a binary choice of one being better than the other, which simply isn't the case. If you have common mode noise across the AC then a common mode choke is an ideal way to remove it. If you have another issue with your mains, perhaps DC, then a DC filter/trap is the way to go, likewise other situations may exist where a balanced transformer is beneficial.

However I'm looking to power my Brooklyn which needs only a single DC rail and I have no DC on my mains, so...

There's no point me repeatedly stating my opinion. You appear to be trying to make it a binary choice of one being better than the other, which simply isn't the case. If you have common mode noise across the AC then a common mode choke is an ideal way to remove it. If you have another issue with your mains, perhaps DC, then a DC filter/trap is the way to go, likewise other situations may exist where a balanced transformer is beneficial.

However I'm looking to power my Brooklyn which needs only a single DC rail and I have no DC on my mains, so...

No, I am not trying to say that a balanced transformer is better than a common mode choke. Sorry if it came out that way! I am interested to know why a choke is better since in theory a balanced transformer cancel out common mode noise by design? Reality may not be the case but it surely sounds better than any other thing that I have tried. I’m just curious if a common mode choke would be beneficial on a balanced transformer?

Just wondering, what is the advantage of a balanced 230 VAC compared to a non-balanced except for "it sounds better"? Any measurements which proves a point?

Sorry, but no! I only use my own ears for evaluations. I own four different IT’s and find the balanced one (with IEC input connected to the Schuko output via chassi ground and bypassing the transformer) better by quite a lot than the other three IT’s in my setup. The balanced snd floating 230-12VAC toroidal transformer concured my flaoting SMPS as a feeder supply for dual 5A LT3045 (LS-HPULN) powering Brooklyn DAC. However, not a huge difference in SQ terms according to these ears! :)

Hi everybody!

We have news:
MPAudio is now enriched by my absolute favorite "audio grade" toroidal transformers, that are available with 60, 100 and 150VA yet. The varity will get bigger by time. For now only 12VAC (and 14VAC for future purposes) secondaries are available, as it's the mostly used voltage by now.

There's also a new category: Accessoires.
It will be enriched with products for and around the HPULN power supplies. The first product available is the Quasimodo PCB, for sure well known by it's designer Mark Johnson here from the forum. Of course this diy-PCB is offered with Mark's permission.

I am looking forward you to visit MPAudio | Home of the HPULN | LT3045 based Power Supplies ;)

Best regards

Stammheim

Hi everybody!

We have news:
MPAudio is now enriched by my absolute favorite "audio grade" toroidal transformers, that are available with 60, 100 and 150VA yet. The varity will get bigger by time. For now only 12VAC (and 14VAC for future purposes) secondaries are available, as it's the mostly used voltage by now.

I am looking forward you to visit MPAudio | Home of the HPULN | LT3045 based Power Supplies ;)

The transformers are looking great, but for RPi DACs it would be nice to get 6VAC versions too.

Matt

Hi there,

I've got some news to share:
The LS-HPULN PS has a new brother... The LSIB-HPULN PS.
So what's new?

1. Instead of diodes, controller driven MOSFET's are now responsible for rectification. The benefit is very low heat and more voltage headroom.
2. Another benefit is it has a snubber onboard to significantly reduce transformer ringing.

The Quasimodo PCB is included for free as limited offer. After my first use I personally use Quasimodo for every transformer / linear PS to realize a snubber. You will hopefully love it, too.

For more information visit MPAudio | Home of the HPULN | LT3045 based Power Supplies

Audio Grade transformers with 6VAC are also listed and will be available in few days.

Best regards

Stammheim

Last edited:
LT4320 "Ideal Diode Bridge"

Hi there,

I've got some news to share:
The LS-HPULN PS has a new brother... The LSIB-HPULN PS.
So what's new?

1. Instead of diodes, controller driven MOSFET's are now responsible for rectification. The benefit is very low heat and more voltage headroom.
Stammheim

Hi Stammhaim
How does the noise of the Ideal Diode Bridge compare to Schottkys.
Or is this a non-issue because of the use of multiple LT3045 regulators after rectification.

Great work - very innovative.

Denis