• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

AZ OLED setup kits for Soekris dam1021/1121 control

0dB is the maximum volume. This is the maximum volume that does not damage the sound quality. Az1021's firmware has a memory function, and each time it turn on the last shutdown state, it also includes the volume. If you need to fixed the dam1021 default settings, you need to connect the computer with the RS232 port to fixed it.

Hi guys,...
DAM 1021 SK lite specification
9. There is a onboard transformer for power supply, AC 115V / 230V switchable. The output is completely isolated from the double winding, one power supply for the MCU and display part. The other power supply for the ISO7421 isolation chip, And provides 5V (400ma) and 3.3V (200ma) output, .....

Best Regards,
Audiozen
Hallo Audiozen
The official current consumptation of the
dam1121: 350ma@5V and
XMOS 384 USBtoI2S module: 200mA@3,3V
Maybe the items need more under certain circumstances?
This is at the limit of your data. Is it a good idea to use your "SK lite" as a PSU for these parts or a external PSU?
I will just use USB as the source

for the analouge part of the dam I will use a solid PSU....
greetings

Last edited:
0dB is the maximum volume. This is the maximum volume that does not damage the sound quality. Az1021's firmware has a memory function, and each time it turn on the last shutdown state, it also includes the volume. If you need to fixed the dam1021 default settings, you need to connect the computer with the RS232 port to fixed it.

I use powered monitor speakers - 0 dB could be quite loud :)

I've just had a poke around the uManager interface, and couldn't find anything interesting:
Code:
# set

Conspeed = 115200
Volume = -99
Filter = Linear
Mode = Normal
I changed Volume to -90, and it didn't change anything about the startup volume.

When the unit boots, I see this out of the RS232 interface (without typing "+++"):
Code:
R1.06
I3
L000
F4
V+00
I3
I0
F5
V-20
I0
L048
L048

It *seems* like that V+00 would have been in response to a command from your ST MCU, but I haven't sniffed the isolated serial interface to confirm that yet.

Do you know what I need to type into uManager to set the boot/startup on the dam1021?

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
@zxc
Set volume at uManager, can dam1021 remember the volume of the last set? I haven't tried it, but the digital filter can be like this.

No. Sören says its the job of the "computer" controlling it. I think it is poor design as a computer may have an idea but it is stil what is in the register of the DAC that ultimately sets the attenuation - so why not present it? Please an FW feature for this!

//

Last edited:
Am I right the connections between the SK-lite and a dam to controll the dam is just Pin 5+6 from the "ISO" connectors block?
If I am right the "ISO TXD Out" and "ISO RXD In" pin doesn't exsist at the dam1121 (oem).
How do I connect the SK-lite with an dam1121 (oem)?

Is it "COM RXD" and "CON TXD" at block J2? Are these all connections between SK-lite and dam1121?

Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
@TNT
The firmware of AZ1021 has the function of memory. The boot will automatically restore the state of the last shutdown. And memory writes are random, like SSD solid state disk, in theory memory write life can be more than 100 years.

Yes, it remembers the set startup volume ;) (I don't think what you set last i.e. "V-25" etc, but the "Set Volume -20")

But it cant remember changes as they are set. There is no way of asking a DAM what the current, playing, attenuation is - this I would like to see.

//

Last edited:
It’s a bit of a ‘chicken and egg’ scenario. The DAM has to be fully booted up to receive a volume command from any ‘computer’ sending it such a command.

The DAM also boots faster than most ‘computers’ (micro controllers running a program) and also has a source auto select feature.

So, it is entirely possible for the DAM to select an active source quite a bit before the controller (uC) sends it an initial attenuation command. Hence the momentary 0db blast mentioned above.

To get around this, what I believe audiozen is suggesting is to use the DAMs initial startup volume command. Which, of course, has to be set by the owner of said DAM as audiozen doesn’t (to my knowledge) supply the DAM with his kit.

If successfully done (and I’m not sure it was successfully accomplished above) then, on first powering up, this would prevent the blast. Soon after this the uC should send it’s command to the DAM for an initial volume setting. The DAMs echo all commands sent to them so at this point the uC (a) knows what attenuation level it has sent and (b) can get a confirmation from the DAM if so programmed.

Assuming the uC is powered on and off at the same time as the DAM and it is the only device controlling the DAMs attenuation setting etc it doesn’t really need to ‘query’ the attenuation level of the DAM as it already ‘knows’ it.

[special=]%[/special]Essentially, the uC is the one in control once it gets going and the DAM is ready to receive commands. It’s just that period of time when, because the DAM boots so fast, it can play a source at a 0db level unless the startup volume on the DAM itself is set to substantially less than 0db.

@zxc The DAMs both have a volume range of -80 to +10. So, setting their startup volume to -90 as you mentioned will not have the desired effect as -90 is an invalid command. Set it to -80. Then, power cycle the DAM with the terminal software running and you should see -80 as your first attenuation level.

Last edited: