• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

New FIFO buffer for RPI/SBCs

Yes I did. Sounds good (to say the least ). What I have in the office though, measures worst than Katana but sounds "almost" as good.

Alternative architectures (like r2r , dsc1) definitely bring a different sound . A great sound.. Also transformers have s sig sound , as well as tube stages and every opamp there is .Everyone has a taste for one over another.

Katana is based on a Delta Sigma IC. Millions of those are sold and lots of money goes into research and development . With the proper implementation on clocks (they are very sensitive to jitter) and output stage , the question becomes less what IC was used , or what architecture,.

The only question is: How does it sound.

As I said since the beginning...Katana was designed for sound quality only. THD+ N numbers are meaningless to us, just a way to prove we know what we are doing (yes they do help somewhat SQ)

Lots of DIY people have an opinion(and preference) on the opamp sound , but they never heard discrete op amps . Sparkos Labs with Allo, we hope to change that perception . We hope you will understand what was lost (SQ) by integrating circuits..

They (sparkos) dont sound like opamps , they don't sound like transformers or tubes . They don't color the sound but they do something ..they free it.

I will stop because words cannot describe, adequately, sound.

Soon Katana will be available (in small qty for first run). Sit back , stream your favorites and get lost in another world.

Thats our goal with Katana.

Great news that there are soon some Katana's available. I've now the Boss 1.2 but it is to much bass for me. I think the Katana is more how music is meant to be.

Within reason, I can't get very excited about the numbers and, as the vendor of Katana, you'll hopefully forgive me if I discount your perspective on the sound quality comparison.

The question I was asking was whether there is actually a potential DSD product in preparation but I guess you need to get Katana launched onto the market before giving too much away about what might come next?

Usually , I say what I think , but yes I understand the fact you see me as biased.

I wont comment on our next moves too much , but I am a DSP believer.

I really want to see and try it asap. Because, I'm happy with my Pi 3 linear powersupply by 3xLT3045 and Battery for ISOLATOR + BOSS DAC. Chear.

Thats a pretty good combo. Most people in HIFI world laugh at the PCM5122 saying that its an old ic/architecture ..Boss changed a few minds (we think)

Again and always...its not about the ICs , its about implementation .

Last edited:
Hello,
I have read on this forum many words on dsd, on super dac etc. I am also an audio fanatic I love to use the iron and listen to my favorite music, but to listen to it I do not want to be continually busy updating software, looking for errors or rebuilding databases every time I turn off a computer randomly so the dsd makes me a little scary.
After years of cd, microsd now I use a Raspberry with a beautiful Kali that was given to me years ago free by Allo, without asking for positive reviews or anything, but only to let us audiophiles try their commitment was real. With this configuration I used the Buffalo dac with opamp, then with the SEN, then with the Lundahl, in a crescendo of performances.
Then came the Soekris which was even better, now I'm back after years to the PCM1704 with Shunt Salas power supplies and OPA861 in Pedia configuration, old stuff but that implemented so it makes the previous prehistoric audio feel: FANTASTIC!
For this I will try, as soon as I can buy the Katana, because it is simple but is the result of a sophisticated implementation, because to listen to music I do not want to sharpen three computers.
Thanks to Google translate that make comunication and mistakes so easy.
Ciao
Guglielmo

How would you describe the difference in how this amp sounds compared to the previous Volt+ model?... or compared to other low cost amps you are familiar with?

How would you describe the difference in how this amp sounds compared to the previous Volt+ model?... or compared to other low cost amps you are familiar with?
Also, what does the gain switch do to the sound? This is for what, better mating depending on speakers and/or use of a pre-amp?

Just figured.
As of todays 4.14.34 kernel release, the Katana driver is - as announced earlier- available.

Congratulations to Allo.

Let the games (and testing) begin...

...obviously as soon as the DACs are out and the distros have that kernel
in place. ;)

The rt-kernel is not yet updated though. It might take some days.

Enjoy.

Last edited: