• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

New FIFO buffer for RPI/SBCs

Hi Greg

We did test tweaked vs non. Fom machine (audio precision) point of view the difference is clear. 112 h2 on non vs 118-119 h2 on tweaked.

We will try doing some blind tests and also talk internally about what we can do to keep Katana in a sensible price range , while delivering great SQ .

Is non tweaked no correction, or correction based on measurement from one board?

Wondering if you took a sample of maybe 10 boards, and either use the average or mean from those for the correction, and then see how that measures.

Randy

We are working very hard on the Nirvana :). testing is starting tomorrow ( we had a 24h delay).

I will give you more details in a week...but basically its the " best 5V smps in the world" (testing pending :). I keep my fingers crossed, but to explain briefly , we designed the Nirvana like its the analog stage of a DAC...each component was placed like it was an analog component. Nirvana is not a SMPS its a analog stage that happens to be a power supply.

Nirvana PSU --- so cool :)

Regarding PSU's and moOde/Katana software integration, I just wanted to make sure that I can power the entire stack: pi+ katana with a single 5V PSU which I have.

-Tim

Multiple psu's are going to be a pain if they are separate wall wart devices. Realistically all we need is a dual psu in a single case connected by an iec cable to the outlet. One supply rail for the Pi, a simple quality smps, and the other rail for the katana stack powered by a nirvana unit. Grounding(s) can be a switchable option to allow for flexibility and to avoid creation of new ground loops. One unit with 2 outputs would appear to be the simplest option for most people. If you want to use multiple linear psu's thats still an option for anyone who wants to tinker with the setup, the boards seem to have multiple power connection options.

At Mars Electronics, manufacturing tolerances were tested out by providing a known set of (perfect) inputs and getting the devices to tune their characteristics so that they matched the input signal. Made manufacturing so much easier as each device tuned its deficiencies out. You could try that approach...

-109 THD+N (RCA) , -108.5 on XLR (a weighted , 1Khz , 0 dbfs)

Small change on one cap (changed from 1000pf to 1200pf film..)

This result is with THD+N compensation .

After debating internally , we decided that all Katana units will be programmed for THD+N compensation while keeping our word on pricing.

Katana , with individual THD+N compensation and offset trimming by hand will be under 250$

Last edited:
Congratulations on getting the design finalized. Hope it becomes a very successful product. I would be interested to hear one when they become available. Having recently been trying to help out some of the DIY'ers with Chinese ES9038Q2M DAC mods, I know it turns out to be quite of lot of work for best sound quality. It might be nice for some of the folks to have a convenient alternative they would prefer.

Hi Mark

Katana was designed for good SQ since the beginning. However good SQ and good THD+N can coexist especially on a design that uses opamps (no matter if they are discreete)

Yes I see the work you are doing on the DIY Ess. Keep up the good work and I will PM you sometimes next week..

Last edited:
-109 THD+N (RCA) , -108.5 on XLR (a weighted , 1Khz , 0 dbfs)

Small change on one cap (changed from 1000pf to 1200pf film..)

This result is with THD+N compensation .

After debating internally , we decided that all Katana units will be programmed for THD+N compensation while keeping our word on pricing.

Katana , with individual THD+N compensation and offset trimming by hand will be under 250$

Great news!
Will the board still be out for sale in june?
can't wait to test it.

Ladies and gents,

we have done more tests. Unbalanced output is now at -111.109 THD+N (a weighted , 1Khz , 0dbfs)

Our AP machine has a noise floor of -111Thd+n a weigthed (but AP being a great company they spec it lower)...so we are measuring the noise floor of our test equipment .

I believe (know) that we have the best measured ESS9038 q2m DAC...worldwide . (yeap better than topping d50 or Project S2).

SQ ? It was build for SQ , thd+n is just a measure to show what we knew all along..all our power rails are in uV (noise) and that Katana is a "well engineered DAC"

1000 ess9038q2m DAC ICs are on the way...

Project is finished , testing is finished. Mass production is gearing up.

Attached is the test data. Look at harmonics. Have you seen something like that before ??

Attachments

• RCA_with 24bit.pdf
    568.7 KB · Views: 257
I believe (know) that we have the best measured ESS9038 q2m DAC...worldwide

We didn't expect anything less than that. :D

And on top you'll launch the potentially best 5V SMPS on the planet. :up:

Let's keep the fingers crossed that soon there'll be the best kernel
driver on the planet. ;)

Congratulations.

BTW. Are u running the Katana tests with Nirvana and the new isolator ?