• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

New FIFO buffer for RPI/SBCs

How is the new isolator board progressing? Is it possible to now give a preliminary description of the whole stack, placement of connectors (usb c, power headers, jumpers etc.) on the boards and any other options in the configuration of the final player.

I am looking forward to seeing the how the 4 board configuration (with isolator) goes together. When stack get this big I sometimes thing it might be easier to just do a single board and plug the RPi into that. :)

A point to @cdsgames; the Katana is getting perilously close in cost to industry nasties like the Chord Mojo. Is it, in your opinion, going to sound better (and yes, I appreciate the wrongness of the question) than the Mono? At some cost point, the decision goes: 'Yeah, experimentation is fun but it's the same ballpark cost and the Mojo's there already...". Or have I lost it?

Chris M

I own an Allo Boss (V1) and a B&O/LG Hifi Plus (AFD-1200 module for the LG G5).

This B&O module uses a ESS 9028C2M. I can connect this thing to my phone or to the Pi. This is a nice device on its own. Much better than the standard phone DAC.

But the Boss is in a different class. Bass, soundstage etc. No match to the B&O module. And this B&O module is way more expensive. My highly modded CD - player (Marantz CD6000 with Tent clock and Heart transfomer/tube IV conversion) is a bit better compared to the Boss, but not much.

I can only imagine how good this Katana will be. I doubt if a commercial DAC in the 500 euro range will stand up to the Boss. Let alone the Katana.

I only hope the Katana doesn't have the ESS sound signature (only based on my B&O module and a few things I've read): clean. No emotion. I use a power amp with 1 transistor and a pre amp with 1 tube. Less = more. If I look at the number of transistors on the amp board of this Katana....

A point to @cdsgames; the Katana is getting perilously close in cost to industry nasties like the Chord Mojo. Is it, in your opinion, going to sound better (and yes, I appreciate the wrongness of the question) than the Mono? At some cost point, the decision goes: 'Yeah, experimentation is fun but it's the same ballpark cost and the Mojo's there already...". Or have I lost it?

Chris M

YES.

I own an Allo Boss (V1) and a B&O/LG Hifi Plus (AFD-1200 module for the LG G5).

This B&O module uses a ESS 9028C2M. I can connect this thing to my phone or to the Pi. This is a nice device on its own. Much better than the standard phone DAC.

But the Boss is in a different class. Bass, soundstage etc. No match to the B&O module. And this B&O module is way more expensive. My highly modded CD - player (Marantz CD6000 with Tent clock and Heart transfomer/tube IV conversion) is a bit better compared to the Boss, but not much.

I can only imagine how good this Katana will be. I doubt if a commercial DAC in the 500 euro range will stand up to the Boss. Let alone the Katana.

I only hope the Katana doesn't have the ESS sound signature (only based on my B&O module and a few things I've read): clean. No emotion. I use a power amp with 1 transistor and a pre amp with 1 tube. Less = more. If I look at the number of transistors on the amp board of this Katana....

Less is more...the main reason for that is when you have a more complex stage , it becomes harder to design correctly . Even when designed correctly you need a good PSU with low noise and right impedance.

We think we have designed it correctly . We also think that DC rails (+- 15V) are noise free.Clocks jitter and rise time and incredible .Opamp design was done by Sparkoslabs (and they excel in opamps) in class A (who remembers the sound of a class A amp ?)

Overall we think that , when done correctly , more can signify a better sound.

"Less is more" >> "Less can be more"

...if you havn't done your homework. That's the Allo message.

We'll see. ;)

Much more parts spreaded over "huge" areas and traces,
additional connectors, plus additional power sources.

On the first glance that would suggest that potentially quite a number
of issues would pop up in comparision to a fully integrated
temperature compensated, EMI/RFI relieved , vibration reduced,
massproduction variances reduced, single and low power output stage
on a DAC chip like the PCM51xx family.

Again. We'll see. ;) It's about finding the better compromise!

"...who remembers the sound of a class A amp?..."

I do. And I also remember the sound of class A output stages that I've been running on my Twisted Pear Sabre 9018 DAC.

First of Class A wastes a lot of power. 750mA cdsgames mentioned earlier.
Twice the power than an idle PI burns. That's quite a number and for sure requires its justification over soundquality..

I do recall that my amps could not compete with my CLASS-D amps anymore. Many High End designers like Jeff Rowland also switched to Class-D.
And I do also recall that my CLASS-A output stage sounded pretty impressive on the first glance. On the 2nd glance it sounded artificial and just bold.
A violin and other instruments sounded like being on steroids. Dynamics were where they didn't belong. That's been the last impression I have in mind
when comparing it to a transformer (Silvercore) based output stage.

OK. That's my experience. On my potentially all but well designed system.
I do know that technology is evolving.
And I do give Allo a chance to prove it. I'm pretty sure they are well aware
that they have to deliver in this new league.
Obviously @250$ there will be limits.
If you add DAC+ISOLATOR+PSs I'd say we're approaching quickly the $400 range. That's what you pay for other known quality solutions from Soekris and Twisted Pear. It's a known price range.

We'll see.

Looking forward to a new toy for the next audio season.

Enjoy. :D