• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Korg NuTube is now available online

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Finished the headphone amp and have it on my desk at work now. I love the way it fits in the case and shows off the tube and the rest of the workings.
I'm just running it off a dragonfly black and into Sennheiser ear buds so I'm probably not taxing it much but I largely got it for the look and to add an easy to reach volume control on my desk. That and I'm addicted to soldering things.
I could throw out lots of neat words to try to describe the sound but I'll skip that and just say that I've had it on for hours and haven't tired of listening at all. Running just off of the dragonfly I'd tire after an hour or so.

As CoM mentioned the regulator gets quite hot. I can't touch it for longer than a second so I'll be adding a heat sink. With no music playing I do notice a lot of microphony but I don't notice it with the music playing.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Maybe.

The one I built uses a lot of surface mount components. So it would have to be an assembled module. And I'm not sure I want to do that...

I thought about re-designing it to be all through hole except the class-D chip, then selling the board with the IC mounted. But I'm still undecided if it would sell enough to be worthwhile.

Pete
Tried out the buffered 6P1 and love it! Thinking about building the hp amp.
And if you offer the Nutube ClassD amp, I will be very interested.
;)

The point is primarily that it uses far less power. The filament is 700mV at 17mA. And it can operate on plate voltages below 12V. So it can easily be battery powered.

I tell people to think of it as a signal processing element, not an amplifier. It is a real triode, and sounds like one.

A high power tube will provide lower distortion amplification. But if that's your goal, you should be using opamps, not tubes.

Pete

Hi Pete,
I was wondering what is the gain of this preamplfier, (if it could be called like that)? I was thinking if it would be possible to use this preamplifier to drive a small Mosfet follower amp (no voltage gain). Imagine a circuit that mr. Pass posted (this tube sandwitched between two jfet buffers), driving a, say , 3-5w Mosfer follower. The idea would be to build a small class-A hybrid amp, using easily obtainable parts, being powered by 19v supplies (think of laptop psu-s). The end result would be an amp that sounds very similar to a tube SE but does not use high voltages. What do you think? ;) :)

Hi Pete,
I was wondering what is the gain of this preamplfier, (if it could be called like that)? I was thinking if it would be possible to use this preamplifier to drive a small Mosfet follower amp (no voltage gain). Imagine a circuit that mr. Pass posted (this tube sandwitched between two jfet buffers), driving a, say , 3-5w Mosfer follower. The idea would be to build a small class-A hybrid amp, using easily obtainable parts, being powered by 19v supplies (think of laptop psu-s). The end result would be an amp that sounds very similar to a tube SE but does not use high voltages. What do you think? ;) :)

It should work well. The gain of a simple Nutube buffer is about 6x. So with 1V in, about 4.5W into 8 ohms.

Maybe I should do a board with this configuration?

Pete

Nope. Without the buffer the output impedance of the nutube is very high (like 100k). You need the buffer.

With high Z phones you might want to change R8 and R9 to something bigger. It really depends on your taste. You could go as high as 100 ohms. This will affect the damping factor of the headphones, and will alter the bass sound primarily. Higher resistance will soften the sound a bit, but may make the bass sound a bit loose.

Pete

How does this nutube compare to a regular triode? I would like to hear some listening opinions of it :) I wonder if this would make a good fit with the tpa3255 I own?? I have a pentode tube amp that does voices and instruments really good, but it doesn't have the power that the tpa3255 has. Therefore I'm looking into making a hybrid amp with the tpa3255. With the lifetime of the nutube and the clean tpa3255 it could be an interesting mix.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.