• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

SilentSwitcher - mains-free +/-15V and 6/5/3.3V power

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The idea is to also change the primary switcher output to keep dissipation and efficiency under control. So a total of 4 resistors have to be changed.
A friend of mine is going to put together a few prototypes from +/-5V to +/-24V so I can do some measurements.

I shipped a bunch of Silentswitchers yesterday to people who ordered and paid them; if you are one of them you should have received an email with the tracking number.

Jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Jan, what’s the safest way to allow both USB and wall-wart usage, where both connections are brought outside the chassis? I would want to probably have some protection if both are plugged in. Just a mechanical switch?

Sorry for late reaction. There is probably no risk for the SS as long as the max input voltage is observed. But the two sources may start to fight so yes keep them apart, a switch or a relay, also more fancy stuff like FET switches will work.

Jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Custom output SilentSwitcher

Just an update:

I just ordered a set of prototypes for the SilentSwitcher with customizeable outputs.
I will build up a set from +/-5 to +/-24, and characterize them with respect to output current and noise/ripple.
That'll take at least 6 weeks from now, but after that I will post the result and then will set up a Group Buy for the new sets.

thanks, Jan

Hi Jan,

Would it work if one would combine two SS-s so that the used voltages would be +/-15V and +48V.... that would mean tie up of the -24Vpin on one module with the GND on the other. But is that safe to do with these modules? If it is then a combo of old and new module would be a pretty cool supply for a good phantom powered mic preamp

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Is the USB option only meant to be used with a USB charger? Can you still access the data lines? I'm interested in doing a USB powered DAC and using the +/-15V rails for the output buffer.

Good point. Yes the data lines are not used, they are not connected on the board. So you can still use them if you tap them off somewhere, at the board or if you have a USB connector on the back panel, you can route the two power lines to the SS and the data lines to wherever you want them.

Jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Jan,

Would it work if one would combine two SS-s so that the used voltages would be +/-15V and +48V.... that would mean tie up of the -24Vpin on one module with the GND on the other. But is that safe to do with these modules? If it is then a combo of old and new module would be a pretty cool supply for a good phantom powered mic preamp

It is safe to do for the modules if you supply each from a floating source. The two grounds of the two input supplies should not be connected.

How about using the + & -24 as if it were 0 & +48V? Would that work with the mic preamp?

Jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Finally! I am taking delivery of the customisable version next Monday!

As-delivered, the 'analog' output voltages are still +/-15V.
But! In the bag you will also find 3 sets of 4 resistors, which can be used to change the voltage to +/-12V, +/-8V or +/-5V, or any combination.
No need to remove any parts, just add a set of resistors. They are SMD but relatively large at 1206 size, so anybody should be able to solder those.

And to your specific question: they are still the same size boards, same mounting layout, no change in price!

See the attached as user guide for customization. I'll add more info as needed, and the basic info is still at The SilentSwitcher | Linear Audio NL .

I will start shipping next week, I have 100 boards available. But those who have indicated interest before are served first and I will contact them the next days.

Jan

Attachments

• SSvar customizing guide.pdf
    284.9 KB · Views: 163