Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

New FIFO buffer for RPI/SBCs
New FIFO buffer for RPI/SBCs
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th August 2018, 05:37 PM   #2231
soundcheck is offline soundcheck  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Stewart View Post
@BUT in my experience a quick & dirty linear outperforms a generic SMPS... and even some engineered ones.

"Quick and dirty linear..." more of this stuff -- please! You've got a talent to get people exhausted.

For me it's that simple. A <=$50 whatever linear supply will have a hard
time to beat an iFi iPower SMPS at $50. (I have two Sbooster supplies (>$100) over here and I still prefer the iFi)

Bottom line. $50 is the ticket into the rather serious power arena.
Even the Youtube audio prophet (HB) is in line with that.
I'm not saying it can't get better than that.

That's a message that IMO matters to the folks around here.

An SMPS messes with the mains - the usual argument against it - who cares!?!? There's so much dirt on the mains anyhow.
Does that mess even has any/much impact on the sound?? I havn't seen any prove of that.

Of course - having a proper grounding scheme in place is a different subject
and probably even more important than the PS discussion "linear vs. SMPS".

And than I can't imagine that anybody is interested in your very special super tweaked $800+ boutique power solutions for a PI tower. If I add it all up
we'll probably hit the 2k border you spent on your unique power solution.
Most people are just not interested to spent that rather insane amount of money and time on HiFi gear - and PS in particular.

If you have a power solution at hand that's applicable and/or affordable to most of us - shoot! With all your experience that shouldn't be a problem!
And please no BS and no prose!

Thx.
Old Yesterday, 08:20 AM   #2232
freezebox is offline freezebox  Germany
diyAudio Member

I agree with soundcheck, it does not make sense to me to feed a 250 EUR DAC with 4 PS with a value of the same price as the DAC or much higher. People who buy this DAC want a simple but not too expensive solution otherwise we end up at the DAC 3 price level and the question comes up if such complete and proven solution would not make more sense to buy.
It is also not clear to me why a big board with better grounding and shorter traces is worse than a stack in Pi format with 4 PS - if grounding over 3 planes is that difficult it should be considered making a big board to stick the PI on top (probably already including the PS) as a big housing would be needed anyway for all the 4 PS you need with the stack solution.
Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM   #2233
Tonybo is offline Tonybo
diyAudio Member

Has anyone hooked up the xlr outs yet? My future system strategy is going to be reliant on these!
Ps no problems here with Greg‘s extreme power supply approach, makes good reading!
Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM   #2234
Markw4 is offline Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

The most recent thinking on XLR outputs is that they may not be a good idea. Better to take the unbalanced output and re-balance it if balanced is really needed. Sound quality should be better than way.
Old Yesterday, 12:58 PM   #2235
cdsgames is offline cdsgames  Canada
diyAudio Member

IV stage goes directly to XLR output (with some filtering). With the new mods that we have on Katana it should not be a problem. Still XLR testing is not completed for SQ it was completed for THD+N
Old Yesterday, 07:05 PM   #2236
SonofThor is offline SonofThor  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

No problems with Greg's approach here either - how can you assess the best approach unless all options (however OTT for most users) have been tried and tested? It sounds like Greg plans to scale back from the multiple expensive supplies to ascertain the best bang for your buck option(s) which should make PSU choices easier

Last edited by SonofThor; Yesterday at 07:08 PM.
Old Today, 05:11 AM   #2237
sp33ls is offline sp33ls
diyAudio Member

If I see a "HW: 1.2" in the bottom corners of each board, does that mean I already have the new 1.2 coming out? I'm just confused because I received the email after my Katana was delivered, and the website makes it sound like 1.2 hasn't even been released yet.
Old Today, 08:10 AM   #2238
cdsgames is offline cdsgames  Canada
diyAudio Member

HW revision is not the same as our own 1.2Katana. Sorry for the confusion.

Just a small recap.

We improved the LPF on summing opamp. Small improvement in SQ
We improved filtering before analog stage . Medium improvement in SQ
We improved noise escaping DC/DC convertor. Not quantified yet
We connected earthing to board (with Nirvana PSU it will be automatic). Removal of some HF and better trebles . I would say small improvement but clearly audible
Adding some 220uF caps to analog stage. No improvement

So far we are happy with SQ
Old Today, 09:26 AM   #2239
Blackfear is offline Blackfear
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsgames View Post
HW revision is not the same as our own 1.2Katana. Sorry for the confusion.

Just a small recap.

We improved the LPF on summing opamp. Small improvement in SQ
We improved filtering before analog stage . Medium improvement in SQ
We improved noise escaping DC/DC convertor. Not quantified yet
We connected earthing to board (with Nirvana PSU it will be automatic). Removal of some HF and better trebles . I would say small improvement but clearly audible
Adding some 220uF caps to analog stage. No improvement

So far we are happy with SQ
Hello
"We improved filtering before analog stage . Medium improvement in SQ"
I guess that you were playing with feedback capacitor which can caused some instability or help to stabilize input od analog stage.. and also it has impact on sound.
Am i right, or you did some other changes..

Thanks

Vita

New FIFO buffer for RPI/SBCsHide this!Advertise here!