Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

New FIFO buffer for RPI/SBCs
New FIFO buffer for RPI/SBCs
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th July 2018, 12:10 PM   #1971
soundcheck is offline soundcheck  Germany
diyAudio Member

cdsgames - just read your comments.

Q:
There's a "DOP" on/off switch offered by the driver through alsamixer.
I'm wondering if that one equals "async clocking" (for DOP) on/off then !?!?

sync vs async on Sabre

Just to confirm:
I've been running sync clocking from Kali towards other ES9023 HAT DACs (the clock on the DAC I removed) some time ago.
The difference was well worth that exercise. There's no going back if you drive it this way.

"opinionated critics"

Not in a destructive way I hope.

As long as there's constructive feedback involved I know you guys appreciate it.
e.g: Now - finally all LEDs a green ( they still can't be turned off altogether though )

I do have to comment one thing again.

The power wire interfaces.

Jtag for 15/-15/gnd output stage. Some kind of molex for 5V on the DAC.
No DIY friendly connector for the 5V of the controller at all - just USB-C.
Locations for these are left and right and none on the front.
On the front side we've got the PI power.
Bottom line. For those using multiple supply options, they'll potentially be looking at a nice EMI/RFI inviting wire-web with all kind of connector/cable types being involved. I think it would be very easy to get that straightened out.
Old 20th July 2018, 01:39 PM   #1972
freezebox is offline freezebox  Germany
diyAudio Member

One thing I noticed is the power up sequence in case of powering the boards with different supplies. How should one solve this issue best? Do you need delay circuits for each power supply to keep the correct sequence? Would have been nice to apply this in the DAC directly e.g. waiting until circuit that needs power first gets it then releases the next one and this one the next.. or probably you might provide such a power sequence board as add. component? Guess nobody wants 3 power switches on his DAC.
Regarding AVCC, did you compare your super cap solution with some opamp reg solution? Lot of electrons are nice but the caps must be charged and impedance of the caps at low frequency is increasing what is not best for de-coupling. How did you solve this and get good PSSR?
Can't wait for the first reviews! Great design!
Old 20th July 2018, 01:56 PM   #1973
cdsgames is offline cdsgames  Canada
diyAudio Member

Soundcheck , DOP is just to switch DOP off not synch vs asynch

Yeap I am aware of the power and and connections but there are multiple things to take in consideration and choices we had to make. Still I will keep in in mind.

Freezeboz, power sequence should not be a problem , we will try to expand on that on later stage. Impedance of SC at low frequency is at its lowest , for higher frequency (where SC is not that good) we have lots of film decoupling. I did not compare direct vs opamps because opamps used for 2 things:

1.Low low noise in audio band (but we achive even better with with a triple filter on Avcc , such as "ripple eater circuit , LPF and LDO.). Of course L and R are treated like different AVccs and both receive indepandant rails with separate ripple eater , LPF and LDOs
2. Low impedance in audioband. I can assure you that a SC + decoupling has better impedance than opamps and most important the loopback of electrons is only few mm..

Our design is well taught. I stand by it.

No opamps for us in the very important Avcc (its textbook implementation and works well though). Still SC are better for SQ if you ask the "few" here that bought the Boss Dac.

Last edited by cdsgames; 20th July 2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 20th July 2018, 05:10 PM   #1974
folzag is offline folzag  United States
diyAudio Member

I must say, kudos to Markw4 & his mates!

They listened, reported back what had to be some really uncomfortable news, and were proven correct.

Also thanks to cdsgames for sharing all the details. Obviously that's completely the DIY ethos, but when it's your professional baby & your money, it can be hard to do. Much easier to vaguely blame it on sw, and carry-on like nothing happened.

Personally, I've been sitting on the fence whether I really need a $250 DAC -- I'm no where near the level of enthusiast that many on the forum are -- but how could one not want to support such a great guy.
Old 20th July 2018, 05:19 PM   #1975
pinnocchio is offline pinnocchio  Canada
diyAudio Member

250$ for a DAC of this quality is quite a bargain if you ask me. I'll be getting one shortly.

@cdsgames
Will this DAC work with Roon? I'm guessing using DietPi and adding the Roon Bridge support would be enough?

Thanks
Do
Old 20th July 2018, 06:16 PM   #1976
folzag is offline folzag  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnocchio View Post
250$ for a DAC of this quality is quite a bargain if you ask me.
Do
No doubt about it.

OTOH, I have an Oppo 105 I'm quite happy with and at some point the DAC becomes "transparent" given limitations in the rest of one's listening chain. I'm pretty sure I'm there now with the Oppo. But maybe not... and only one way to find out.
Old 20th July 2018, 06:51 PM   #1977
Markw4 is online now Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by folzag View Post
...at some point the DAC becomes "transparent" given limitations in the rest of one's listening chain.
Quite true. This is why I strongly recommend that people who are modding dac boards over in the other thread also mod an LME49600 head phone amp board for high performance. That way they have something they can rely on to evaluate changes to dac SQ with mods they are making.

The HPA boards I encourage folks to mod are like this to start with: 1PCS LME49720NA+LME49600 headphone amplifier KIT | eBay

Much like the cheap ES9038Q2M DAC boards, the HPA boards are junk to begin with but can be made very accurate using things like low-distortion SMD thin film resistors, an added ground plane, proper bypassing, etc.
Old 20th July 2018, 06:56 PM   #1978
badboygolf16v is offline badboygolf16v
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markw4 View Post
Much like the cheap ES9038Q2M DAC boards, the HPA boards are junk to begin with but can be made very accurate using things like low-distortion SMD thin film resistors, an added ground plane, proper bypassing, etc.
I'd be interested in this. Is there a thread where these mods are detailed?
Old 20th July 2018, 07:03 PM   #1979
Markw4 is online now Markw4  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboygolf16v View Post
IIs there a thread where these mods are detailed?
There are some pictures here: ES9038Q2M Board

After taking a look if it still is of interest please post over in the other thread and we could talk more or I could answer any questions about the particulars of modding. Also, probably worth downloading LME49600 data sheet which has some helpful application info.

EDIT: It may help to know, if anyone doesn't already know, that when viewing pictures in the forum they do not always show at full size and resolution. When a picture is open, if you hover the mouse over the lower left corner and white X appears, that means higher resolution can be selected by clicking on the X.

Last edited by Markw4; 20th July 2018 at 07:15 PM.
Old 21st July 2018, 10:11 AM   #1980
smoothquark is offline smoothquark  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

For the Nirvana, is it possible to have a 12V trigger to turn on a power amp with a 12V trigger input? Thanks.

Last edited by smoothquark; 21st July 2018 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Forgot to add Nirvana

New FIFO buffer for RPI/SBCsHide this!Advertise here!