• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

[ANNC] eBook on Accurate Sound Reproduction Using DSP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi sax512,

Thanks for asking. I decided to use Amazon's print service to produce a full color, text book size, print edition of the material. This way I could leverage Amazon's distribution model for both the eBook and print. The link to the print edition is in the post below yours.

While I am happy with the outcome of the print edition, relative to text book size and color images - looks great, it does come at a cost. The size and full color, really added to the cost. I tried a few variations and this is the least expensive I could make it and still have quality color content. I make very little on the print edition. Had the material been black and white and just text, would be a much lower cost.

Same goes for the eBook. Amazon charges me for the size of the download, and with over 260 color images, becomes large, even with reduced resolution. As a result, not much profit.

I put some thought into how to best distribute the material, in a quality way, but not raise my administration costs, as I am sharing this as a hobby and have a day job. I explored quite a few options and non were as simple and wide reaching as Amazon. While Amazon Publishing is convenient for an independent author, in my case, because of the color content and size, the result is a higher cost.

I hope that helps explain why I went the route I did.

Kind regards,

Mitch

Hello Mitch,

Thank you for replying. I didn't intend to imply that the price is too high. I usually let these considerations to the free market to determine.
I asked about the pdf because you wrote some time ago that you were looking into it.
The thing is that a pdf format would be much more practical to me.
But if that option is precluded, I'm going to have to get one of the other available formats.

A bit of both - see constant directivity horn equalization and the Measurement and Calibration of Sound Reproducing Systems - Page 17, Fig. 14. Subjectively preferred steady-state room curve targets in a typical domestic listening room.

The Klipsch K-402 are very nice CD horns and would respond well to DSP.

Thanks, I've fully digested the article now :p The K-402 does indeed need some EQ along the way, I am planning to cross it over to a midbass horn operating below it, so it is nice that the midbass horn should be able to maintain decent pattern control up to the low pass.

Does Audiolense do anything that Acourate can't? From what I can understand the real benefit is in its ease of use?

Am I understanding correctly that since there is overall attenuation to allow some of the boosts in the EQ that the output from the DAC will be at a lower voltage than what it would be if there was no convolution filter correction?

If you read the comments on the Audiolense article I posted, you will see some thoughts comparing to Acourate. One can get excellent results with both, but depending on what you want to accomplish, the workflow may be easier with Audiolense.

Yes, there is some digital attenuation, however, if using convolution in JRiver, one can check normalise filter volume, which will raise the overall gain, without clipping. Or one can manually "make up" the digital volume level by inserting a digital gain stage after convolution. Or simply turn up the volume a bit more :) Most folks don't run into any issues with this.

Good luck with the K-402's. I use JBL 2384 waveguide, which is smaller than the K-402's, but still a CD waveguide, and responds well to DSP.

Another Audiolense article, this time integrating dual subwoofers: Integrating Subwoofers with Stereo Mains using Audiolense - CA Academy - Audiophile Style

Within the article above, a time domain experiment AB’ing two different FIR correction filters, one with time domain correction and one without, but both having the same frequency response.

Having some fun DSP'ing two very different loudspeakers using the same target frequency response. Do they sound the same? Check out the binaural recordings:
KEF LS50 (David) Versus JBL 4722 Cinema (Goliath) Speaker Comparison with Binaural Recordings - Reviews - Audiophile Style

In my limited testing of loudspeakers, I find there is quite a bit of variability between manufacturer specifications versus how the speaker really sounds/measures.

Don't know if this has been posted before, but the ANSI/CEA-2034-A Standard Method of Measurement for In-Home Loudspeakers is available as a free download at:
CTA - Research and Standards

One needs to create an account, but if you are interested, it is worth the time to register and download the document as it is quite an interesting read. It also provides the basis for estimated in-room response calculation. I.e. providing a usefully accurate preview of how a given loudspeaker might perform in a typical domestic listening room. While the predicted curve is quite accurate, it cannot estimate the effects of room modes below transition/Schroeder. But we know how to take care of that ;)

Note that Revision B is in final draft and will also be available for free download towards the end of the year: Consumer Technology Association: R3WG1 -- ANSI/CTA-2034-B -- Standard Method of Measurement for In-Home Loudspeakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.