• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Wormhole 9 Octaves Wideband

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here are other examples of the type of speaker i will show.
One is a Dieter Rams design ( Braun ) from 1959, the other is from the ex. DDR, around same time.

Attachments

• Ramms lautsprecher und ddr equivalent.jpg
    Ramms lautsprecher und ddr equivalent.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 279
Yes, this is Bamboo ply. Besides Panzerholz it is the best wooden cabinet material that i know of. The Bamboo is around 25mm, so rather substantial and the cabinet is not braced.
I have put damping pads in strategic places though and i experimented a lot with acoustic damping.
It is a reflex design with a down firing port. This drives has intersting parameters so i could put the reflex resonance at a deep 30Hz. It is abit overdamed though to compensate the room gain a bit.

I use this for damping :
https://baustoffe.koempf24.de/isove...9dVOo_5ZOxfk&gclid=CNqroOXRjsoCFUHkwgodjb8PNg
I know, some people may be alergic to it and it has a reputation to provoke scratching.
I did not have much problems with this. The material seems to be much improved over older varieties and it works better in this cabinet then other options.
I think it is beacuse it is more dense and has a bigger surface so it also damps in the lower reaches. I really went for maximun natural fundamental tone in this.

Olsen showed curves for his baffle variants - back to the dawn of hifi!

But Joachim, you are following a path that I fully agree with in principle regarding the baffle... of course people have wanted tiny "mini-monitors" for so long now...

_-_-bear

PS. I just now acquired a pair of Quad 57 speakers... my ears are very happy-happy.

I had Quad 57 and Quad 57 double in a Mark Levinson HQD system.
I had the modified Kelly Ribbons and 2 x 76cm Hartley woofers in 1500 liter cabinets.
No idea how i got that money together when i was 22.
I still have a refurbished ESL63 from Stein Music.
One of the advantages of a wide baffle is the avoidance of the baffle step.
That alone increases sensitivity where is really matters by at least 4dB.

Some think that only a slimm speaker can throw a soundstage that makes the speakers " disappear ". A good example is the ProAc Tablette. That works best in the nearfield i think.
Curiously enough the speaker that i show here has one of the best imaging i ever heard.
I even hear sound over my head and left and right from the speakers when that information is on the record. I sit around 2.5 meters away and the speakers are placed ca. 3m from each other. Nevertheless there can be a strong phanton source in the
middle. I mean i made my income with slim speakers so i should not complain about them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.