• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Hypex NCore NC500 build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I would expect a goverment required standard to be freely available from some goverment source

I am sharing your expectation that standards which have such high legal relevance should be available for everybody for free. But they aren't, they are protected by copyright and priced in a way which ensures that only few people will buy it. Even companies sometimes start to think twice. No further comment.
Some sources:
www.vde-verlag.de
Beuth Verlag - Beuth.de

I shall be offering NC500 mono blocks for £999, stereo for less. We are Probally 2-3 weeks away for finished production product. We have an illuminated blue ring switch on the front panel. Will offer black, silver and veneered fronts all with contrasting aluminium details. Progress can be followed at We Build IPL Speakers. Build Hypex Amps & Sell Abrahamsen Audio
We will also offer NC400 kits and complete amps. We are a small company so will be able to offer some bespoke finishes so hope you like them, Colin

They do! Milling machine over £1000 plus milling bits, Workspace, bench, storage, new temp controlled soldering irons parts etc. Next week I'm going to order a NC400 kit so I can develop a solution/kit for that with no guarantee of any orders.

I thought nc400 was only available to private parties/end users for DIY use, not commercial entities/resellers??? Seems if you are an OEM selling nc500 you wouldn't qualify for reselling the nc400...

No, they don't actively encourage it! The only reason I'm going to offer them is I've had many questions, how does the NC400 compare with the NC500? I can not answer that question honestly as I've not heard a NC400. There will alway be folks out there who want a NC400 based amp or kit. For me it makes sense but not for a tier 1 or 2 supplier.

For the nc400, maybe sell the case and PSU + all solder-necessary wires pre-soldered (like to the IEC mains socket and XLR connector - then people can just buy the nc400 module, screw it in and twist the speaker wires into the +\- terminals

Easypeasy and still DIY, no harm done

Glad to see someone is making sensible priced Hypex amps ...you are likely to receive negative comments to discredit this idea from Competitors, as I'm sure you're well aware :)

It's time normal people can afford high end audio AND make the Planet Greener

Cheers, that's the idea in essence, ill have to offer a NC400 amp at £1500 surely nobody in there right mind would go for that.....

But I have to try them a) For the comparison b) To engineer a kit.

I'm all to well aware of that, I have a long running thread about how I started making speaker! Ill throw in an image at the end. Though I have had many PM's of support yours as well and I thank you.

I'm literally 1-2 weeks away, next most pressing item is packing boxes to be custom made. Logo Badges on order, if the response is good enough Ill probably have the logo CNC ed and offer early adopters the chance to swap the front panel. I could probably ship a standard front sooner but want to get the front panel design perfected. I've had them running in cases for 2 weeks now the case has bottom grill just in front of PSU heat sink and above NC500 module creates a good air flow. The switch has held me up trying to find the right one, ordered some, delivery arrived with the switches on back order. I was deciding on the function, logic control, or mains switching. This then influence's the final wiring layout. I then have to get it signed off by Hypex.

Can I hold you to that!!!??
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Colin

Last edited:
I shall be offering NC500 mono blocks for £999, stereo for less. We are Probally 2-3 weeks away for finished production product. We have an illuminated blue ring switch on the front panel. Will offer black, silver and veneered fronts all with contrasting aluminium details. Progress can be followed at We Build IPL Speakers. Build Hypex Amps & Sell Abrahamsen Audio
We will also offer NC400 kits and complete amps. We are a small company so will be able to offer some bespoke finishes so hope you like them, Colin

Will you be using 1 or 2 SMPS700A1200's per stereo amp?

What will you be using for input buffer? IC opamp based, or fully discrete. Voltage regulators? Will they be IC based?

Will you be using 1 or 2 SMPS700A1200's per stereo amp?

What will you be using for input buffer? IC opamp based, or fully discrete. Voltage regulators? Will they be IC based?

2 X SMPS1200A700
Input buffer board is IC based, Voltage regulators LM7845
I'm still working on the costings for the Stereo offering but there should be around £50 saving in component costs

As to Inputs would you like to see a RCA input option as opposed to XLR?

Last edited:
Final Layout

OK here is the final layout...
Its not finished the switches I ordered were on back order so there will be mains wiring to the front panel and some power for the LED. Much neater this way and cables much shorter. Cable routing and loom will be next once the switches arrive. XLR's in place some high quality Switchcraft Gold plated metal bodies courtesy of a great little supplier Action Hardware who are also the CHK distributor in the UK the mains IEC switch input come from them as well. XLR's sounding much better.
Next up is design the packing and get it on order.
Sounding wonderful. Enjoy.
FINAL20LAYOUT_zpshmct3d0x.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.