• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Hypex NCore NC500 build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Both SMPS1200A700 and SMPS3KA700 have high high voltages. High voltage equals potential high power. High power equals high power losses.
If you plan to really use all that power I would use two SMPS1200A700 power supplies. it is possibly a little overkill, but it depends really on your requirements. I would also install a quiet fan in the system.
I have tested this and the temperatures easily rise to 80 degrees locally on both the SMPS1200A700 and the NC500. This will reduce the capacitor life in those areas.

Lowering the voltage reduces the cooling requirements

Well, I like having a lot of power. It will be driving deltalite 2515 which are only rated at 300watts but with amplifier power calculators it seems I need about 350 to 400 watts to effectively drive them to reach dynamic peaks. In saying that I will hardly run them at full power for too long perhaps for 1 min max a few times a day.

The thing is that the NC500 clips at around 270watts at 8ohm which isn't too much.

Anyway, so the SMPS1200A700 is a better option and your recommending two but how much power do I lose if I go with the one power supply? Just so I can see in perspective.

And yes, ill have been told they get hot so I will add extra heatsinks and consider a fan...

You will not loose much power going for just one SMPS1200. Maybe around 30W peak power.
For heavy duty long term high power I would use two, but thats me.

The SMPS3kA700 is not suitable as it cannot handle the reverse currents from the NC500 modules. (Bus pumping problem)

Note that the coils on the NC500 heats ut a lot when using high voltages. Even when the signal is zero!. A silent fan at low RPM generating just a small airflow around the coils helps a lot.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.