• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Introducing Tavish Design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nothing to add here other than great work! I know how difficult owning a small business is - especially in niche products. Clearly your measurements and genuine interest speak for itself. When Im in the market for a phono again, I'll surely be heading your direction (plus you're not too far away!)

Keep up the good work,
Steve

Thanks for the kind words Steve.

I just updated the Assembly and Setup Manual for the Vintage 6SL7 Phono Stage. It includes the updated input capacitance measurement discussed earlier in this thread and also fixes a couple of minor typos and omissions.

Finally, we got a very nice review of our Adagio Phono Stage by Ron Nagle in Enjoy The Music (thanks Ron!):

Tavish Design Adagio Vacuum Tube Phono Stage So grasshopper, what have you learned? Review By Ron Nagle

Scott

Attachments

• adagio_supply_inside_crop_lighten.jpg
    adagio_supply_inside_crop_lighten.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 165
Beautiful inside.

Maybe, with a RFI/EMI Schaffner FN 9244B filter 1A it would still be better.

Thanks! The RF line filter is not a bad idea at all. It looks like there might be a fused version that even fits exactly in the existing chassis cutout, for about $16 US. I suspect those line filters are more often used to prevent RFI from getting out of an electronic instrument rather than in, but it would work both ways of course. Maybe I'll offer than as an option.

Scott

Trust me, it is a very good idea. And cheap!

I have a terrible mains (230V/50Hz), with more RFI/EMI, ripple and DC (I measure 3 Vdc !!!). I have gradually gone attenuating the noises / interference with Schaffner filters, RFI Würth 150 kHz ferrites and my loved DC & Ripple Blocker x4 ME (aka Maty Edition).

And voltage more near to 240V than 230V (for solving still: maybe a variac or new amp).

foreign operation

Have you tried Plitron transformers? I know of a couple of good quality amps that use them for international versions.

Hi Iwan, Hi Quip,

I’ve gotten a number of inquiries on international sales, so I’ll look into it. It seems that hybrid amps like this are popular in Europe, based on our emails and website traffic.

The Minotaur would require a couple of custom toroidal power transformers for 240v 50 Hz operation. Getting toroids with dual 120/240v 50/60 Hz primaries is no problem, but getting ones that are quiet when running at 50 Hz might be. Do you have any recommendations on this?

Finally, I have not shipped completed products to Europe before (Quip, I assume you are in Europe?), only PCBs, so I’m not sure what complications may arise with import duties, EU agency approvals, etc. I’ll look into it – if you have any advice let me know.

Scott

Have you tried Plitron transformers? I know of a couple of good quality amps that use them for international versions.

Hi Firedog,

Yes, I have. I compared the Plitron 087035201, the Plitron 757035201, the Avel Lindberg Y236803, and the Toroid Corp 749.382 for use in the Minotaur. All these transformers have dual 120/240v 50/60Hz primaries for international operation. I chose the Toroid Corp 749.382 because it produces the lowest mechanical noise under adverse AC line conditions.

I'm on a path to producing international versions of all our products. I'm starting with the Adagio Phono Stage, having a custom power transformer wound for it. It may be available in 2-3 weeks.

The Minotaur is a big, heavy product to ship overseas. I'm not sure how much international demand there will really be when people learn the shipping costs.......

Best,
Scott

Hi everyone,

Ron Nagle published a great review of our Minotaur Hybrid Amplifier in Enjoy The Music last week. Thanks Ron!

Tavish Design Minotaur Hybrid Vacuum Tube Amplifier A marriage made for a discerning music lover. Review By Ron Nagle

And, we now have an international version of our Adagio Phono Stage available, for operation on a 220-240V 50-60Hz AC line. It uses a custom power transformer, and also has some additional power supply modifications to allow operation over a wider range of power line voltages and frequencies. I've been promising this international version since January..........

Scott

I am scratching my head's remaining strands of hair reading Art Dudley's review in the June issue of Stereophile. Testing the MM section with an MC cart while inter-posing the Hommage T2 step up transformer?

Anyone who's worked with transformer inputs would know that you have adjust/compensate for ringing/overshoot with an RC network. This is just physics, not voodoo.

I am scratching my head's remaining strands of hair reading Art Dudley's review in the June issue of Stereophile. Testing the MM section with an MC cart while inter-posing the Hommage T2 step up transformer?

Anyone who's worked with transformer inputs would know that you have adjust/compensate for ringing/overshoot with an RC network. This is just physics, not voodoo.

Hi Jack,

I'm not familiar with the Hommage T2, I've never tested it. But many stand-alone MC step-up transformers include their own built-in RC network. For example, Jensen sells the JT-44K-DX in a box with connectors and a 6.8k ohm + 200 pF snubber at the output. I assume that Art Dudley's Hommage T2 must be similar.

Thanks for noticing Art Dudley's Adagio review! I'll post a link to it as soon as it is publicly available on the Stereophile website. They wait a few weeks after it appears in print before posting columns online.

Best,
Scott

@TavishDad - your products are looking really, really good.

Are you planning on releasing a non-integrated version of the Minotaur any time? I'd love to see one with just one input, no volume control - just a "plain Jane" amplifier.

Thanks. Sorry for the delayed response. I've considered it. Having different versions means having different sheet metal and a different front panel for the two versions. Right now, there are two different integrated amps, one with balanced inputs. The balanced input version is much more popular, and I'm considering discontinuing the original version with only unbalanced RCA inputs. I could replace that with a non-integrated version.

If I did, would you want both balanced and unbalanced inputs?

Art Dudley's review of the Adagio phono stage was posted online.

Art Dudley Listening | Stereophile.com

Scott

Thanks. Sorry for the delayed response. I've considered it. Having different versions means having different sheet metal and a different front panel for the two versions. Right now, there are two different integrated amps, one with balanced inputs. The balanced input version is much more popular, and I'm considering discontinuing the original version with only unbalanced RCA inputs. I could replace that with a non-integrated version.

If I did, would you want both balanced and unbalanced inputs?

Art Dudley's review of the Adagio phono stage was posted online.

Art Dudley Listening | Stereophile.com

Scott

No worries. That review for the Adagio looks good! Congrats on yet another good product. :)

To answer your question - I have no balanced equipment, so I'd be most interested in just the RCA unbalanced inputs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.