• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

AK4490 USB Dac with dsd support.

Given that the talk turned to the quality of clocks in these dacs..
Here I would like to show a little test that I wished to do.

With this new arrival, the SITO V. 1.2 dac equiped with very good quality clocks, dedicated power supply, & galvanic isolation - I had been wondering if one would be able to detect any measurable changes due to this. I mean any change from the previous model Mirand V 1.1 dac to the SITO dac.
The old model, as we know, is based on Fox Xpresso crystals, have a mixed power supply scheme and is not isolated galvanically.

It looked to be not that easy because the usual jitter tests already for the Mirand dac looked quite clear.

So I tried to push the setup to the limits.

I drive the DUT dac modules into my usual EMU1616m card with AK5394A.
The dac is piloted in upsampled PCM mode, set to 384kHz -so as to stress as much as possible the jitter response.
The sound card is used instead in it's cleanest mode, 48kHz/ 24bit recording.

The first shot is the Mirand V 1.1 original version.
The second shot is the SITO V. 1.2 new version, tested on it's USB input, with USB power external.

Attachments

• MirandV10_12k_384ksmpl_emu48ksmpl_fullgraph_jitter.png
    MirandV10_12k_384ksmpl_emu48ksmpl_fullgraph_jitter.png
    125.6 KB · Views: 689
  • SITOV12_12k_384ksmpl_emu48ksmpl_fullgraph_jitter_okt15_No_display_2ndtake.png
    SITOV12_12k_384ksmpl_emu48ksmpl_fullgraph_jitter_okt15_No_display_2ndtake.png
    123.3 KB · Views: 658
Last edited:
The samplng rate is 48kHz multiples, so the test signal is FS/4 frequency, 12kHz tone.
Almost full scale.

In the first graph , the un-isolated Mirand dac shows an obvious modulation at the standard 8kHz high speed USB frames frequency; plus a series of spurs at 1kHz distance, 1msec USB packet signaling.
The 4,5-4,6kHz side lobes most probably are due to the Fox oscillators.
There is a non- zero contribution also from the soundcard itself -- those spurs at 1.5kHz and at the top freq.range. one can observe all these still present also in the SITO spectra.
On the other hand, the SITO V. 1. 2 spectra shows a much cleaner picture, almost all USB correlated signatures are gone, mainly the soundcard related residuals are left only. (And a spur tone at 2kHz, plus a little 50Hz contamination )

So, I would say that the choices made by Sonny - - are working..

Ciao, G

In this configuration I heard the most natural sound in my system.
PSU Salas made a huge change for the better.
With Salas BiB I separately feed I / V and preamplifier.
With Salas ReflectorD - Mirand DAC.

Great to hear. Will try to build it. Have the bib board but was being lazy. Thanks for the review

Your built looks so delicious. Yumm

Last edited:
Hi Sonny

Hope you are doing good.

My dac is sounding very well, better than some of r-2r dac's my friends own. However there is a small glitch when playing DSD using Allo USB Bridge as Roon end point.

When I play DSD 64/128 native I get no sound or sometimes buzzing sound from my speakers. When I cycle through the filters it picks up again and starts playing till I power off the dac. Any idea what could be the reason? I don't have any problems with PCM.

It's running the same firmware I got with the dac. The links to newer firmware you shared were not working. My marantz SA8005 CD player which also works as a USB DSD dac doesn't have this problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: