Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

AK4490 USB Dac with dsd support.
AK4490 USB Dac with dsd support.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd January 2018, 09:45 AM   #1491
sonnya is offline sonnya  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycavsr2000 View Post
Dac kit from Mike. That being said, it took a lot out of me to purchase the kit, since the design was devoid of any measurements. There were measurements of the Weiss discrete OP, the Belleson regulators, etc...but no measurement of the ENTIRE design from USB input to differential XLR output. Your postings regarding the performance of this dac with a DSD 256 signal is a breath of fresh air and a voice of certainty. Anytime I asked for data, Mike would get defensive and just relay subjective quotes from the multitude of owners of his “Mivera” design instead. They all of course said it sounded amazing.

I believe there is a world where exacting measurements, a respect for psychoacoustic research and subjective evaluations that corroborate the exacting measurements can coexist.

Best,
Anand.
There was measurements, but my equipment does not have low enough noise floors. And as you see the noise floor on the DSD is higher than on the PCM signal which was hard for Mike to accept.
Old 3rd January 2018, 10:25 AM   #1492
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycavsr2000 View Post
Dac kit from Mike. That being said, it took a lot out of me to purchase the kit, since the design was devoid of any measurements. There were measurements of the Weiss discrete OP, the Belleson regulators, etc...but no measurement of the ENTIRE design from USB input to differential XLR output. Your postings regarding the performance of this dac with a DSD 256 signal is a breath of fresh air and a voice of certainty. Anytime I asked for data, Mike would get defensive and just relay subjective quotes from the multitude of owners of his “Mivera” design instead. They all of course said it sounded amazing.

I believe there is a world where exacting measurements, a respect for psychoacoustic research and subjective evaluations that corroborate the exacting measurements can coexist.

Best,
Anand.
Filter bandwidth is ~116KHz +/-2KHz depending on gain.

The picoscope has artifacts (Especially at around 350KHz) But that has nothing to do with the signal.

On the 17.23dBu signal it corresponds to a noise floor of 120dB below the signal.

3rd shot is HQ player. (Limited to 5.6MHz due to test on Windows machine)
Old 3rd January 2018, 10:55 AM   #1493
vitalica is offline vitalica  Europe
diyAudio Member

Sonny, would it be a benefit if i would use separate Salas shunt PSU for Crystek clock?
Until now, the DAC V1.1 sound is great and I really like it. It's great that I can use USB or I2S inputs.

Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171223_0001223.jpg (591.7 KB, 326 views)
Old 4th January 2018, 01:54 PM   #1494
pinnocchio is online now pinnocchio  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Vitalica,

Very nice build!!!

Do
Old 4th January 2018, 02:12 PM   #1495
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnocchio View Post
Hi Vitalica,

Very nice build!!!

Do
Thanks Domenic

I'm surprised how well Renderer now sounds after I have separately powered the Clock and MR-MOD Ethernet Media Renderer Modules on the Renderer board.
I thought this would be OK to do it in DAC V1.1.
But I probably have not asked a correct question and Sonny will not answer me. I think Clock on DAC already has separate power.
Anyway, the sound is fantastic!
Old 4th January 2018, 04:56 PM   #1496
Aboe is offline Aboe  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default How to connect external 5v to USB

Hi

To cut the internal 5v, just follow the red arrow and cut the leg at the NTE0505.

Then just set the external 5v at the pins in the red cirkel - red is plus 5v and black is minus.

cheers Anders
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2333.jpg (47.0 KB, 264 views)
Old 4th January 2018, 08:04 PM   #1497
diyAudio Member

It's very clear, thank you very much Anders!
Old 4th January 2018, 08:09 PM   #1498
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalica View Post
Thanks Domenic

I'm surprised how well Renderer now sounds after I have separately powered the Clock and MR-MOD Ethernet Media Renderer Modules on the Renderer board.
I thought this would be OK to do it in DAC V1.1.
But I probably have not asked a correct question and Sonny will not answer me. I think Clock on DAC already has separate power.
Anyway, the sound is fantastic!

It is not an easy question as the answer is difficult. and it was not intended to do so. We have an internal power called +3.3V_OSC. You will need to remove a part to be able to replace the power.
Old 4th January 2018, 08:24 PM   #1499
diyAudio Member

So, it is more complicated... In this case, it will remain as it is and I will add the separate power to USB, as suggested by Anders. Thanks, Sonny.
Old 4th January 2018, 08:26 PM   #1500
diyAudio Member

It is just very easy to destroy if done wrongly.

AK4490 USB Dac with dsd support.Hide this!Advertise here!