• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Some more really small amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sure. But that also requires at least one dc-dc converter (before or after the battery) and a battery of adequate size which makes the build much more complicated and expensive.

In case it matters USB 3.1 specification allows up to 100W (20V 5A) power delivery which should suffice for most uses.

Last edited:
Oops. Forgot to factor in losses for the DC/DC converter. They're not too expensive though.

About getting a battery of adequate size, are there no low capacity 12v options around? 9v batteries are small and cheap.

I think the best idea for a compact portable device is 3 LiPo cells in series. It could then be charged from a USB port, using a DC-DC converter to step up the voltage. Or perhaps a separate USB "dongle" type thing, with the converter inside.

Rule of thumb for DC-DC converters (although they are incredibly capable nowadays), is either high power or high efficiency for a given size.

Will you by any chance release the schematic or gerbers for DIY'ers? Unless they already are ;-)

I could give you a schematic, but I'd have to make it first :)

This is just a little side project for fun. Something like this is easy to do, and actually I'd rather people take the learning curve and come up with their own thing than me just giving away the Gerbers. I'd happily assist anyone in coming up with their own design (as will many of the other forum users).

Fire up your PCB editor and have a play is my advice.

New website sorted: io390.co.uk

I've still got a number of these amps available BTW.

I got a cheap ebay TDA7492 amp, I was fairly impressed with it and ran it against one of my stAMPs. I think that the TPA3132 has better detail overall and is simply more clear. For the price the TDA amp is certainly very impressive however, although when you turn up the volume it seems to totally lose it and sounds awful, whereas the TPA amp remains composed and clear. It also has a far smaller voltage range, although that's not a problem for most people I guess. I think that upgrading the output filters would make quite a difference on this TDA amp.

Would anyone be interested in other ultra-compact modules? Perhaps a pure PBTL amp with big inductors on the outputs and headers for syncing? Or perhaps digital input etc...

Hi Sheldon.

I received my stAMP this morning - thanks for the fast delivery.

I have it mounted in a small aluminium tin which once held a Boots spectacle cleaning/repair kit :)

I hooked it up to 2 Kef HTS2001 speakers and a 19V laptop power brick to perform TV speaker duties. Fired it up at 7PM and it was running nicely until I just turned it off at 11:30 PM. It didn't even seem to generate much heat (although I didn't push the volume too high).

The sound belied its tiny size (it was indeed not much bigger than the stamp on the packet in which it arrived). There was no hum or hiss - just nice, clean sound. The board is a thing of miniaturised beauty too.

It was just the job. Thanks again.

It seems that I tempted fate. Sad to report the death of my stAMP. Without warning, it just cut out. Now, I just hear a rhythmic ticking sound from the speakers. I tested the voltage from the brick - still fine. No shorts on the speaker cables. The board looks OK - nothing obviously burnt out.

That's weird. I've not had this happen before.

I can only imagine that something was shorted, could you perhaps get a good picture of the board for me?

The TPA3132 has loads of protection features and it's all but foolproof. Perhaps check that nothing has gone and shorted the pins on the QFN - easily done with 0.5mm pitch pads. Also ensure that all the capacitors are fine and none are cracked etc...

If you can't find anything then I'll send you a new one on Monday.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.