Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Hi-end DSP based multi-channel integrated Preamp/Crossover/DAC project
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th November 2014, 09:28 PM   #31
Tranquility Bass is offline Tranquility Bass  Australia
diyAudio Member

Currently this board is stand alone and designed to output 8 channels. I saw no reason to offer expansion for more channels.

The Bit Perfect volume control is based on the volume control built into the Sabre DAC. For more info check here:-

404 Not Found

And yes when the prototype is built I will be posting results for it. Hopefully there won't be too many problems but you know how hardware can be

cheers
David
Old 20th November 2014, 12:13 PM   #32
Tytte71 is offline Tytte71  Norway
diyAudio Member

Thank you.

There are reasons to have master/slave functionality. In my case I've a four way satellite horn setup and would like to add distributed subwoofers. E.g. 4 subs would sum up to 12 channels in total.
Others using active crossovers on HT speaker setup would also soon come short with 8 (10) channels.
For comparison, Hypex DLCP can have 6pcs 6 channel modules connected to operate as one DSP/preamp system.
Old 20th November 2014, 10:43 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Does that mean digital data fed to one board through say the USB audio interface will automatically be shared with the other boards ?

cheers
Old 21st November 2014, 08:51 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

I've problems using USB audio with multi-module routing on the current DLCP. I believe that is due the way USB is implemented on DLCP.
But when using PCM the source can be connected through AES/EBU or S/PDIF on first module. CAT6 cables are used to loop through S/PDIF and for controls of the the second DLCP and so on. It is also possible to use separate S/PDIF on the DLCP modules.
It is also possible to install two DLCP modules in one cabinet, internally routed/connected to work as one preamp. In such case the CAT6 cable can be looped trough the other pairs or standalone DLCP modules.
Each 6ch DLCP module have to be programmed individually and only one module is available for config and view at a time in the filter software. IMO a drawback in the way Hypex have implemented the multi-module feature.
Old 21st November 2014, 09:47 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

For own use I would be satisfied with 16 channels with the quality and features you have planned for
Old 21st November 2014, 11:27 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the description. I will add this to the to-do list

cheers
david
Old 21st November 2014, 11:41 AM   #37
diyAudio Member

Nice, thank you David
Old 22nd November 2014, 01:19 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Forgive me for nagging, but I find your platform darn interesting. My wishes and questions therefore have the best intentions.

1. Is it possible to add an i.e. jumper/header between the analog outputs from the DSP and the analog output driver stages. I'm not necessarily thinking of having the analog drivers stages on a separate PCB, but to have the possibility to tap the analog signals from the DSP and reroute it to other buffers or to e.g. add analog attenuators/volume controls. I prefer stepped attenuators for level matching the different amps/speaker drivers. It simply gives me better manual control when calibrating expensive drivers. In some cases, I need to attenuate the mids/highs as much as 15-20dB compared to the woofers. Attenuating with high quality resistive attenuators could therefore IMO also be beneficial for the S/N ratio.

2. There are a few quite good and advanced computer software out there for making crossovers and correction filters, like e.g. Acourate. Will you make it possible to import filters made by such software into your DSP?

3. For convenience when doing measurements, will it be possible to connect measuring mic at an input and run the DSP full duplex while measuring?
Old 23rd November 2014, 02:45 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tytte71 View Post
Forgive me for nagging, but I find your platform darn interesting. My wishes and questions therefore have the best intentions.

1. Is it possible to add an i.e. jumper/header between the analog outputs from the DSP and the analog output driver stages. I'm not necessarily thinking of having the analog drivers stages on a separate PCB, but to have the possibility to tap the analog signals from the DSP and reroute it to other buffers or to e.g. add analog attenuators/volume controls. I prefer stepped attenuators for level matching the different amps/speaker drivers. It simply gives me better manual control when calibrating expensive drivers. In some cases, I need to attenuate the mids/highs as much as 15-20dB compared to the woofers. Attenuating with high quality resistive attenuators could therefore IMO also be beneficial for the S/N ratio.
There are two 26 pin IDC headers that provide all of the 8 channels of balanced and unbalanced audio outputs after the on-board IV converters. These would normally be connected to either an 8-way unbalanced or 8-way balanced output board or both boards together. Alternatively you could connect these to your own board for further processing such as level controls etc. You will still need to buffer the output of your level controls though.

Quote:
2. There are a few quite good and advanced computer software out there for making crossovers and correction filters, like e.g. Acourate. Will you make it possible to import filters made by such software into your DSP?
Yes most certainly in addition to software such as rePhase etc.

Quote:
3. For convenience when doing measurements, will it be possible to connect measuring mic at an input and run the DSP full duplex while measuring?
The analog input board has a balanced microphone input with switchable 48V phantom supply. The DSP can generate tones whilst measuring the response at the same time.

cheers
Old 23rd November 2014, 06:39 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Thanks David. I'm exited and look forward to follow the progress and to see some more hardware and software details. Please let me know if you need beta testers
Cheers

Hi-end DSP based multi-channel integrated Preamp/Crossover/DAC projectHide this!Advertise here!