Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Hi-end DSP based multi-channel integrated Preamp/Crossover/DAC project
Hi-end DSP based multi-channel integrated Preamp/Crossover/DAC project
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2018, 08:46 AM   #1031
yoke is offline yoke  Croatia
diyAudio Member
 
yoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Split
I want that one !!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2018, 08:47 AM   #1032
Luca72c is offline Luca72c
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
  Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2018, 10:09 PM   #1033
DSP_Geek is offline DSP_Geek  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Santa Cruz, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquility Bass View Post
Getting closer to finalizing Rev-C

ES9038-PRO design with new regulators and a whole new IV stage
If that comes in an assembled form (no time to build a chassis on my end) then I shall have to tarp my keyboard to protect against uncontrollable drooling.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2018, 02:08 AM   #1034
Nonlinear is offline Nonlinear  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Hi-end DSP based multi-channel integrated Preamp/Crossover/DAC project
David,

Just as an FIY, I'll be looking to place an order for a full unassembled kit once you've got all the bits ready to go (likely both the analog and digital input boards, single-ended and balanced output boards). I've been tracking your project since nearly day one and am looking forward to hearing it in action. My PS Audio NPC is looking forward to finally exercising its I2S-via-HDMI muscles as well!

Cheers,
Brad
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2018, 09:43 PM   #1035
crawf1982 is offline crawf1982  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: UK
Greetings,

I have been toying with the idea of getting the following modification board for my Oppo 203 - link

It features an on-board 8 channel I2S header - there is a schematic in the manual

Would it be possible to make a connection directly between this on-board header and the main UPXO board in order to effectively create an 8 channel DAC for my home theatre setup?

Cheers,

David
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2018, 12:50 AM   #1036
Tranquility Bass is offline Tranquility Bass  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
Tranquility Bass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Australia
Hi-end DSP based multi-channel integrated Preamp/Crossover/DAC project
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonlinear View Post
David,

Just as an FIY, I'll be looking to place an order for a full unassembled kit once you've got all the bits ready to go (likely both the analog and digital input boards, single-ended and balanced output boards). I've been tracking your project since nearly day one and am looking forward to hearing it in action. My PS Audio NPC is looking forward to finally exercising its I2S-via-HDMI muscles as well!

Cheers,
Brad
Hi Brad

Unfortunately I don't have a PS-Audio source to test it out so I have had to resort to creating the HDMI signal from another preamp.

Does anyone know how the PS-Audio source unit signals that it is in DSD or PCM mode ? Is it done via the I2C interface or just looking at the signals ? Or is it always sending out DSD ?

[EDIT] Actually looking at the PS-Audio website due to digital rights management it is probably not possible to use DSD from a PS-Audio device if playing back from an SACD.

DirectStream DAC and Memory Player | PS Audio

Quote:
DMP opens the long restricted DSD layer of SACD to DirectStream DACs. Through a unique code-handshake, DMP will deliver the raw DSD layer of copyright protected SACD directly into your DirectStream DAC. This means that for the first time you’ll uncover the wealth of audio’s finest digital medium, DSD, and hear exactly what the mastering engineers who created these discs have enjoyed all along.
regards
david

Last edited by Tranquility Bass; 23rd April 2018 at 01:18 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2018, 01:37 PM   #1037
crawf1982 is offline crawf1982  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: UK
FYI - this is now being discussed on the new Analog Precision Forum


Quote:
Originally Posted by crawf1982 View Post
Greetings,

I have been toying with the idea of getting the following modification board for my Oppo 203 - link

It features an on-board 8 channel I2S header - there is a schematic in the manual

Would it be possible to make a connection directly between this on-board header and the main UPXO board in order to effectively create an 8 channel DAC for my home theatre setup?

Cheers,

David
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2018, 05:26 PM   #1038
Nonlinear is offline Nonlinear  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Hi-end DSP based multi-channel integrated Preamp/Crossover/DAC project
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquility Bass View Post
Hi Brad

Unfortunately I don't have a PS-Audio source to test it out so I have had to resort to creating the HDMI signal from another preamp.

Does anyone know how the PS-Audio source unit signals that it is in DSD or PCM mode ? Is it done via the I2C interface or just looking at the signals ? Or is it always sending out DSD ?

[EDIT] Actually looking at the PS-Audio website due to digital rights management it is probably not possible to use DSD from a PS-Audio device if playing back from an SACD.

DirectStream DAC and Memory Player | PS Audio

regards
david
David,
On the PS-Audio NPC (NuWave Phono Converter), it allows the user to select either DSD or PCM as the output on the I2S connector, as well as selecting the sample rates and bit depths up to double-rate DSD and 192kHz/24 PCM.

The cool thing about this unit is that it does the ADC conversion directly into DSD, so being able to use the I2S interface with your device should provide the cleanest possible path.

The PS Audio DirectStream Memory Player (DMP) does output SACD in DSD mode, but it looks like only PS Audio DAC's can perform the handshake necessary to then decode the DSD from an SACD. Quote from their site: "DMP opens the long restricted DSD layer of SACD to PS Audio DACs. Through a unique code-handshake, DMP will deliver the raw DSD layer of copyright protected SACD directly into your PS Audio DAC. Only PS Audio DACs have this ability. Other DACs employing PS Audio’s I2S protocols will not deliver DSD.
These restrictions are necessary to protect Sony and other label copyright agreements from illegal copying activities."

The DMP does also output all other audio streams in DSD that can be accepted by any DAC that has the I2S/HDMI interface; it's just the SACD in direct DSD mode that can't. You could still output SACD from the DMP in PCM.

I will also offer to do some testing using my NPC to confirm the UPXO does function as expected with the DSD output from the NPC.

Last edited by Nonlinear; 29th April 2018 at 05:42 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2018, 06:54 PM   #1039
vessk0 is offline vessk0
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
How many taps per channel @ 96kHz DSP sampling frequency, does the DSP support? My question is regarding 3-way FIR crossover mode.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2018, 05:14 AM   #1040
Tranquility Bass is offline Tranquility Bass  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
Tranquility Bass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Australia
Hi-end DSP based multi-channel integrated Preamp/Crossover/DAC project
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonlinear View Post
David,
On the PS-Audio NPC (NuWave Phono Converter), it allows the user to select either DSD or PCM as the output on the I2S connector, as well as selecting the sample rates and bit depths up to double-rate DSD and 192kHz/24 PCM.

The cool thing about this unit is that it does the ADC conversion directly into DSD, so being able to use the I2S interface with your device should provide the cleanest possible path.

The PS Audio DirectStream Memory Player (DMP) does output SACD in DSD mode, but it looks like only PS Audio DAC's can perform the handshake necessary to then decode the DSD from an SACD. Quote from their site: "DMP opens the long restricted DSD layer of SACD to PS Audio DACs. Through a unique code-handshake, DMP will deliver the raw DSD layer of copyright protected SACD directly into your PS Audio DAC. Only PS Audio DACs have this ability. Other DACs employing PS Audio’s I2S protocols will not deliver DSD.
These restrictions are necessary to protect Sony and other label copyright agreements from illegal copying activities."

The DMP does also output all other audio streams in DSD that can be accepted by any DAC that has the I2S/HDMI interface; it's just the SACD in direct DSD mode that can't. You could still output SACD from the DMP in PCM.

I will also offer to do some testing using my NPC to confirm the UPXO does function as expected with the DSD output from the NPC.
No point in converting PCM to DSD if the original source is PCM. As for Sony protecting the IP how many SACD's are actually out there ? Seems quite amusing to protect DSD and then do nothing for the huge source of PCM recordings already out there. I was thinking of modifying my pioneer CD player to tap off the SACD DSD stream as it enters the DAC and send it out through a HDMI jack so I can plug it into the preamp.

As it is the HDMI interface will support PCM with the option of DSD.

cheers
david
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hi-end DSP based multi-channel integrated Preamp/Crossover/DAC projectHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Full Digital / CrossOver / Multi Amplifier integrated KOON3876 Class D 71 21st November 2014 11:56 AM
Multi channel Linux audio player with integrated amplifier questions. ollepetersson PC Based 5 17th March 2013 02:46 PM
Multi purpose multi channel gainclone PCB: Team project - group buy rick57 Chip Amps 14 29th March 2003 05:54 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:31 AM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 14.29%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2018 diyAudio
Wiki