• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

Hi Soekris,

I put the DAM1021 (Rev 5) into operation and ported the original NEWNOS filter to the new firmware and uploaded it. Compared to my old DAM1021 Rev 1 with NewNOS filter, the available output level is estimated to be 3-5 dB lower than before (single ended output). This has a very negative effect on kernel streaming with digital volume control, as I have to connect an additional preamplifier stage to drive low-efficiency speakers (in this case Celestion SL600). How can this be explained?
By the way - sound quality with Rev 5 and new firmware is very good.

The new 1.20 firmware and 4K filters have zero at -2 dB, the dam1021 then add 1 dB gain, resulting in zero at -1 dB with 1 dB margin, ie when volume level is set to 0 then it's 1.26V rms output at resistor network, about 1.9V at buffered single ended and 3.8V buffered balanced.

I have no idea how your filters are designed and what it have at zero level. Look at the filter file source for details.

Hi Soekris,

source of filter is attached. Do you find a bug in there? Thanks.

Attachments

• 1021filt.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 85
Hello all, sorry to make yet another silly question. Last Saturday I successfully implemented my V4 board.
As I had many part form a 4-5 years ago project I reused most of them; i.e. the USB to I2S form JLSounds (+ its reclock with 2 Crystek, yes I know it's overkill but it was there in a drawer…), some DIYINHK power supplies. No buffer No preamp, only the DAM digital volume control and RAW output.
This set up compared favourably (just a hair) in term of detail against my more complicatedly (and costly) implemented Ver.2 with Amanero, JCBuffer, Tortuga Preamp lots of power amps.
BUT the next day I realised that I had completely forgotten to give 3.3V to the V.4 DAM (since in the JLSounds there is no 3.3V out unlike on the Amanero) therefore later on I have added a dedicated power supply but... On Sunday the sound was exactly the same as on Saturday and I had no issue "playing" the DAM with or without 3.3V on…
Hence my question. Is it really necessary to have 3.3V on the DAM1021 and what are the risks of not having it?

1.2 with 2K filter

Hi Søren,

Yes, the soft butterworth FIR1 filter needed lower gain to keep the coefficients below 1.00, and I wanted to keep all filters at the same level, so I settled for -2 dB in the FIR1 filters, see filter file for details. To compensate a little, I added 1 db gain later on by firmware.

new firmware with old 2K filters works, but this would increase the clipping problem?

I have a question, i have a cd transport kit from audiophonics france and i want to connect it to the soekris dac with the i2s connection, but what is the best one: i2s to rj45 from the cd transport and rj45 to i2s to the dac or i2s to hdmi from the cd transport to hdmi to i2s to the dac? So what is the best connction, high speed cat6 cable or hdmi?

Thank you

Hallo Soren

I ordered a dam1121 within your online shop a few days ago. I'd like to pay now. I believe there is an error in your shop system for EU citizens. I pointed this out by mail and PM. Unfortunately, so far without any reaction. Now I don't know what to do.
Could you clarify the situation, please? Thank you

I don't run the soekris.eu online shop, it's a separate legal entity than Soekris Engineering ApS.... Please contact them directly using the contact info on the website, like I already told you in an email.

I have a question, i have a cd transport kit from audiophonics france and i want to connect it to the soekris dac with the i2s connection, but what is the best one: i2s to rj45 from the cd transport and rj45 to i2s to the dac or i2s to hdmi from the cd transport to hdmi to i2s to the dac? So what is the best connction, high speed cat6 cable or hdmi?

Thank you

1) Check to see that the transport's I2S output is compatible with the dam's I2S 32bit input.

2) Put them in the same chassis so as to run short I2S cables. Any other solution would be a compromise.

TPA's teleporter modules will work, with RJ45 cables. You can also find converter boards from I2S to HDMI (and the opposite). I suspect that the teleporter modules are better quality than the I2S to HDMI modules.

But do check that your transport's I2S output is compatible with your dam.

Hello,

I had a communication brake down meanwhile updating process. Now Dam1021-02 is blinking and I can’t evoke uManager (connected to iso RXD-TXD)

Is there a way to reset and fix?

Use the regular non isolated serial port, the isolated one goes through the FPGA, and if the FPGA firmware is trashed then the isolated port don't work....

Hi Soekris,

I have DAM1021 rev4 and planning to mod the power supply, separate the 1.2V / LDO 3.3V / +-5V ladder supply.
I will keep the on-board 1.2V regulator and input +5V to the regulator, will remove LDO 3.3V and supply 3.3V from external regulator, will remove U5 U7 C23 C28 and supply +-5V from external regulator, will remove 6 x 1000uf filter caps. I use raw output only, so the opamp will be removed (Q3 Q4 also).
Will this work ?

Maybe you have answer the similar below questions before, but can't go through the long thread. sorry for asking again.

What is the purpose of D6 ?
The Q3 Q4 use for power on/off mute only ? provide other mute function like the pop sound when switching tracks (PCM to DSD or vice versa) ?
Is there anything I need to take care?

Thank you