• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

For you to know, it seems that Ian is actually working on his reclocker to fit as Rpi or Odroid Hat. In such case Rpi or Odroid with specific software could work as Network Audio Media Renderer which for many of us is ultimate digital audio architecture :)

i had ians fifo on a rpi2 back a few years ago
but still could get better results through modified pc and usb to i2s converters
has things changed more than i think?

i had ians fifo on a rpi2 back a few years ago
but still could get better results through modified pc and usb to i2s converters
has things changed more than i think?

Wow. Did not know that. I also use modified PC and usb for now and it has always amazed me how consequent hardware and software tweaks impacted overall sound. I just thought PC audio might be blind route due to USB transport and sound will be better with buffered I2S reclockers (like Ians) together with Pi or Odroid. But it seems your experience led to opposite conclusion. Thanks.

Heard of a data sheet?
im sure that will be in there somewhere

TI TPS562209 is the stock reg

Spartan-6 datasheet don't have active current specs as it depends on what you program it with.... I once measured the dam1021 1.2V core at 0.15A when active, but you should add some margin, it might also increase in the future if I add more advanced firmware....

Wow. Did not know that. I also use modified PC and usb for now and it has always amazed me how consequent hardware and software tweaks impacted overall sound. I just thought PC audio might be blind route due to USB transport and sound will be better with buffered I2S reclockers (like Ians) together with Pi or Odroid. But it seems your experience led to opposite conclusion. Thanks.

thing is a rpi reclocker dac setup will sound relatively close to a modded pc (custom lifepo4 ps, custom usb card etc) with a usb to i2s with reclocker
only the obsessive would look for more.....
since then the 216 xmos chip and hi-speed usb isolators and the regen type usb reclocking devices will make pc audio more of a challenge to better
its amazing to hear how much usb isolation and reclocking makes it shows that
the pc really is the elephant in the room
there is lots to fix
most guys would be best use something else

ive been using a modded sd card player to generate i2s then reclock to soekris
its in the same league as current ott modded pc

thing is a rpi reclocker dac setup will sound relatively close to a modded pc (custom lifepo4 ps, custom usb card etc) with a usb to i2s with reclocker
only the obsessive would look for more.....
since then the 216 xmos chip and hi-speed usb isolators and the regen type usb reclocking devices will make pc audio more of a challenge to better
its amazing to hear how much usb isolation and reclocking makes it shows that
the pc really is the elephant in the room
there is lots to fix
most guys would be best use something else

ive been using a modded sd card player to generate i2s then reclock to soekris
its in the same league as current ott modded pc

Well, I did not try any I2S reclocker. However can confirm that out of the things I tried (rpi 3, odroid c2, through usb, through usb/otg, through i2s) powerd by high quality linear regs, batteries ... Nothing sounded better that my audio PC, especially with system booted into ram.
Thought that I2S reclocker might help here and it surely would, however as you say will not be as good as well done audio PC (whatever it means).
Anyways even if audio PC is an elephant it is still the most convenient audio streaming device to use in terms of usability, at least for me.
I may try then I2S reclocker some that out of courisity.

Well, I did not try any I2S reclocker. However can confirm that out of the things I tried (rpi 3, odroid c2, through usb, through usb/otg, through i2s) powerd by high quality linear regs, batteries ... Nothing sounded better that my audio PC, especially with system booted into ram.
Thought that I2S reclocker might help here and it surely would, however as you say will not be as good as well done audio PC (whatever it means).
Anyways even if audio PC is an elephant it is still the most convenient audio streaming device to use in terms of usability, at least for me.
I may try then I2S reclocker some that out of courisity.

the pc is the elephant when its many issues are not addressed
on the diyinhk you could use its mlk out with a 574 ff to reclock similar to what sligolad has done here
Tír Na HiFi • View topic - Lampizator Big7
where he says is substantial improvement despite all the quick swap adapters for a-b testing etc

the pc is the elephant when its many issues are not addressed
on the diyinhk you could use its mlk out with a 574 ff to reclock similar to what sligolad has done here
Tír Na HiFi • View topic - Lampizator Big7
where he says is substantial improvement despite all the quick swap adapters for a-b testing etc

Interesting. Thanks. But isn't it something that JLsounds usb/i2s has onboard already? If they only had xu216 on their pcb ...

Thank You Soekris. Can You give me an shematic for dc-dc 1.2v? i need to know what disoldered to change 1.2v dc-dc to discrete stabilizer. Im thinkg it will be good to disoldered shift element, and connect new stabilizer to J2 pins like pwr+ 1.2v and gnd.

Sorry, but no, with unnecessary modifications you're on your own, and if you need to ask you should not be doing it....

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Just to confirm: the isolated serial interface in J3 is at 3.3V, and the non-isolated serial interface in J10 is 5V, correct?

Assuming that is correct, are there any scenarios where the serial interface could be ruined? As of two nights ago, I was able to bring up uManager via doing "+++" over the serial interface. Last night, I could not bring up the uManager, nor get any output from the serial interface. I'm pretty sure nothing changed. My dam1021 board is not modified (other than soldering on standard pin headers).

I have tried the J3/isolated serial connectors via Raspberry Pi connected with Normundss switch board. Also tried J10/non-isolated to my PC using a cheap FTDI FT232RL serial to USB converter (like like one).

Not sure if I have inadvertently harmed my dam1021 board, or if it's just a matter of operator error. But if the latter, I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, as it definitely was working. In general I'm pretty comfortable working with serial interfaces.

Side question: where are all the serial commands (and their expected responses) documented? uManager is mentioned in the manual, but none of the "real time" commands are documented. I humbly request that these be added to any future manual revision.