• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

Attached is a quick dam1021 R-2R DAC drawing with connector pinouts. The more experienced DIY'er can get started with that, but I will also be doing a better and more detailed manual over the weekend.

I2S Input just need the BCLK, LRCK and DAT signals, plus power to the ISO +3.3V to power the isolator chips.

Volume control goes to GND, +3.3V and Volume Pot input. In nothing connected it vill default to 0 db.

If you want to see what's going on, or control things, the RS232 serial port is just like a PC serial port, you might need to use a crossover cable, connect at 115200, 8, n, 1.

Input Select is:__INP SLCT0___INP SLCT1

Auto_____________N-C_______N-C
I2S______________GND______GND
SPDIF1 (Coax)_____N-C_______GND_____(Sensitive LVDS receiver)
SPDIF2 (Toslink)___GND_______N-C______(Standard 3.3V digital level)

If you don't connect anything to the input select pins it will search the three inputs for a valid signal and lock when found.

Power is either +- 7-15V DC, preferable 9-12V DC or 2x 7-8V AC. It goes though a diode bridge so polarity doesn't matter. Connector is MTA156 type.

Btw, can't you add files to your first post ??

Attachments

• dam1021_mech_con.pdf
    53.4 KB · Views: 2,011
Last edited:
Regarding the PDF, there are two "OUT CH2+" connectors at the extremes of the board. The right most one should be labeled negative I guess.

Looking forward to the detailed manual for us unexperienced DIY'ers :) Especially information about connections to Amanero board. Its manual uses different terminology for BCLK and LRCK then yours. Please find Amanero manual attached.

Attachments

• combo384-D.pdf
    341.1 KB · Views: 691
leehan - as you have questions, post them to the implementation forum; I'm sure everyone's willing to help with this. We may or may not see a 'detailed' manual. Doing such a project is more time consuming and demanding than most people think. It's not common that such designers of DIY components have the time / bandwidth to assemble such documentation.

It might come - but you'll likely find your answers in the community.

MisterRogers - thanks for your direction, I am doing so when I have questions. My post intended a correction in the PDF, and feedback about the novice friendly documentation Soekris already mentioned he was interested in preparing. Hope it helps him when he has time to do so. I don't have any question marks in my previous post.

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
leehan - as you have questions, post them to the implementation forum; I'm sure everyone's willing to help with this. We may or may not see a 'detailed' manual. Doing such a project is more time consuming and demanding than most people think. It's not common that such designers of DIY components have the time / bandwidth to assemble such documentation.

It might come - but you'll likely find your answers in the community.

I guess you haven't had a look at the quality of documentation Søren produces for his products.
This is for a NET4501 communications single board computer:
http://soekris.com/media/manuals/net4501_manual.pdf

Have a bit of patience. Søren said he is working on the docs over the weekend. He's been true to his word thus far - even if time frames have gone out a little - so I don't see anyone has any reason to doubt that he will deliver.

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
Hi Søren,

Could you clarify about the SPDIF1 IN+ and IN- with LVDS inputs? I'm not sure I have this right.

I had to read TI's Overview of LVDS Technology before I had any clue how this could work with a Spdif output. My was understanding the LVDS LowV is at 1.0V and HighV 1.4V and I couldn't see how this was going to work with a 0-0.5V signal. But reading further it seems that LVDS tolerate a minimum 1V ground offset, which means that with a -1V offset the Low signal level would be 0V and high would be 0.4V which would work with RCA SPDIF. Is this correct?

It tallies with your previous comments about hooking up the trafo directly to the input, so I'm guessing "roughly right".

It does mean that a Jocko SPDIF rx circuit would need to be modified as that circuit is drawn with TTL 0-5V outputs - just in case anyone was planning to go that route.

cheers
Paul

Is there any interest to some surgery on the USB cable to cut the the power and gnd return path (same wire Gnd that the signal return path?) when using external power supply to Amareno. In this case,we could keep the LDO which output drop is 3.3V and use a 5V before (any vias near the entry LDO volatge Pins or direct from the USB voltage pin ?

So double isolation if USB pcb : one for the PCB and the Soekris one ? Soren said the embeded isolation of the DAC should suffice ! More is better. My heart is balancing between a cheaper Amareno for that and a more sota one with isolation but longer to get ! As the isolation on an USB is at it output what could be the utility as the DAC has one at its entry ?

But I really ask myself because testimonials on the other thread (implementation) if a USB at 32/384 is better than a 24/44 TCPIP to SPIDF streamer ? Ok one said there is an isolator and recloking in the DAC boards ! But TCPIP and SPIDF are bit perfect in their transmission ! Does the streamed flux from the computer can be corrupted because the noise of the PC with a too Noisy USB pcb streamer ? Async USB does solve some problems in relation with the PC already, no ?

Sorry for the two cents questions

Sorry, I don't have the electronics knowledge of the others on this thread so I'm not sure I can answer your questions. I my case the power coming in to the Amanero is 5V so the LDO is still in place and the 5V coming in is from a different supply than the one that runs my DAC (BIII) I also have a ACKO Isolator at the Amanero output.

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
Is there any interest to some surgery on the USB cable to cut the the power and gnd return path (same wire Gnd that the signal return path?) when using external power supply to Amareno. In this case,we could keep the LDO which output drop is 3.3V and use a 5V before (any vias near the entry LDO volatge Pins or direct from the USB voltage pin ?

So double isolation if USB pcb : one for the PCB and the Soekris one ? Soren said the embeded isolation of the DAC should suffice ! More is better. My heart is balancing between a cheaper Amareno for that and a more sota one with isolation but longer to get ! As the isolation on an USB is at it output what could be the utility as the DAC has one at its entry ?

But I really ask myself because testimonials on the other thread (implementation) if a USB at 32/384 is better than a 24/44 TCPIP to SPIDF streamer ? Ok one said there is an isolator and recloking in the DAC boards ! But TCPIP and SPIDF are bit perfect in their transmission ! Does the streamed flux from the computer can be corrupted because the noise of the PC with a too Noisy USB pcb streamer ? Async USB does solve some problems in relation with the PC already, no ?

Sorry for the two cents questions

Hi Eldam,

I'd highly recommend reading (or rereading) the first three parts of the TNT Audio digital interfaces articles - starting here:
Digital Interfaces - An Introduction - Part 1.1 [English]

It is a pretty decent intro to the issues and the history. While it won't directly answer your questions it will help you understand what the issues are, and give you a framework which will help you make sense of all the information you are digging up. Most of what you are asking requires an basic understanding of the causes of jitter and the problems that people are attempting to solve with Async USB, Isolators, Fifos, clocks etc.

I'd make the observation that "Bit perfection" and "data corruption" are non-issues in working data interfaces. If these are a problem there is a fault in some part of the system like damaged cables or connectors etc.

cheers
Paul

For Amanero rev F. -> DAM1021

FSCLK -> LRCK (Frame sync = Left/Right)
CLK -> BCLK (Clock = Bit Clock)
DATA -> DATA
+3.3V output -> +3.3V

i have Sonore usb - i2s converter(SONORE USB Interface).
it has 4 outputs only
Bit Clock=Bit Clock DSD
Word Clock=Data L DSD
SData=Data R DSD
Master Clock=Master Clock

How it looks like the Sonore usb - i2s -> DAM1021 connection ?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I feel a little unsure about the pot conection. Anyone care to do a simple drawing?

It shall play within 3 hours :)

//

Shouldn't really need a drawing:

DAC GND -> Pot Min Pin (leftmost pin when viewed from front)
DAC Pot In -> Pot Center Pin
DAC +3.3V -> Pot Max Pin (rightmost pin when viewed from front)

I really look forward to listening reports....