• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KHz

I decided to make a wiki page to collect information for building the dac.

dac wiki

It is REALLY rough at this point, but it does contain some useful links (I hope).

Suggestions welcome.

Mine eventually switchs on. Agree that the information to let it sound is rough

Attachments

• 20150218120413.jpg
    20150218120413.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 805
The popup noise is a problem mainly at power off.. I'm not sure that a relay would be fast enough to guarantee protection in that case.

Could 200 to around 400 ohms resitor in serie on the non buffered SE solve that ?

200 ohms in serie are transparent to the ears... and 1 K ohm output still match very well with the 47 K ohms input stages that most of us have !

Haha, a bad idea from me (no electronic background), just thought a resistor could pad off the spike ! Yes there is some logic, if you can hear it from the speaker this is because it is hearable in the ears range ! So a traffo wouldn't cahnge thinhs either !

forgett it, I drunk too much ouzo yesterday !

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Why would it be?

If you "switch on" from source to amplifier and "switch off" from amplifier to source you're safe.

This is logic. Logic works extremely well until...

- you have a bad day
- you are tired
- you forget the sequence
- something unexpected happens and you need to turn it of fast
- your GF/wife switches the thing on/off
- your children want to listen to music

So it is better to be safe than sorry. Simply switching on in a "wrong" sequence should not damage equipment. A muting relay shorting outputs to GND with a small value resistor in series will do. If it has a just big enough filter cap it will switch faster off than the DAC's power supply. No click, no damaged speakers, no risk. A simple circuit can be added on a separate PCB but it could be onboard in revision 2. In any case I would add a muting circuit as it costs considerably less than new speakers.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2005
I have a question regarding signal input:

What parts are needed fpr AES/EBU XLR input?
The documentation only shows SPDIF and Toslink and I couldn't find anything using search.

The dedicated AES/EBU input seems to have vanished somewhere between initial announcement and implementation. Unless one of the mystery headers has additional inputs Søren is keeping up his sleeve.

You could use the differential input for SPDIF but due to the higher signalling level you would really need to do level conversion to bring the potential AES/EBU 2-7V p-p voltage down to 0.5V p-p.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/267948-soekris-s-dac-implementations.html

Some of your questions are in this thread, with some good starting info in the OP.

I have an AudioNote AES/EBU transformer myself, and hope to get it implemented. I am pretty sure how to position the transformer, with 2 pairs going to the input side (XLR Connectors) with the other pair going to the board, assumedly connecting to the SPDIF (+) and (-). The question is what level of loading resistor is used. I am thinking the 1.2v bias loading will remain the same. Perhaps the 300ohm loading resistor is the same even, but I doubt it.

On the audionote page referenced in the OP of the other thread there is a diagram of how to set it up (for the AN DAC board that is). As mentioned above, there are SPDIF definitions, but I don't know the specifics of how the Soakris board requires SPDIF setup.

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
. In any case I would add a muting circuit as it costs considerably less than new speakers.

Or in my case new channel of Hypex UcD180HG + HxR. It smarts to buy a DAC for $300AU shipped, then have to spend $200AU+ a few days later to fix the damage it has caused.

And a manual would be nice. I don't think it's that unreasonable to expect to have seen something by now.

Søren made this post back on 24th January:

Attached is a quick dam1021 R-2R DAC drawing with connector pinouts. The more experienced DIY'er can get started with that, but I will also be doing a better and more detailed manual over the weekend.

We are now a couple of days shy of four weeks since that was posted and apparently no closer to getting a manual. My defence of Søren's commitment to deliver a manual in a timely fashion is now looking embarrassingly misguided...

We are now a couple of days shy of four weeks since that was posted and apparently no closer to getting a manual. My defence of Søren's commitment to deliver a manual in a timely fashion is now looking embarrassingly misguided...

To shine a different light on the matter, I think this community has a part to play in the situation. The demand placed on Soren to get the DAC released was immense and seemingly unremitting and since launch those demands haven't decreased; he still has to produce the manual, work on filters, answer questions and, presumably, run the rest of his business. He is but one man. Perhaps with hindsight it would have been better to have delayed the release? Give the guy some slack and I'm sure he will deliver all that is needed.

Ray

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
To shine a different light on the matter, I think this community has a part to play in the situation. The demand placed on Soren to get the DAC released was immense and seemingly unremitting and since launch those demands haven't decreased; he still has to produce the manual, work on filters, answer questions and, presumably, run the rest of his business. He is but one man. Perhaps with hindsight it would have been better to have delayed the release? Give the guy some slack and I'm sure he will deliver all that is needed.

Ray

The argument in defence of lack of a manual is circular.

1) There is no manual
2) People bombard Søren with build questions because there is no official documentation
3) Søren doesn't have time to write documentation because he is too busy answering questions
4) Go to step 1

Until Søren produces a manual he will be asked endless questions, simply because community produced documentation can only ever be based on reactive responses to forum questions. It is not a replacement for product documentation from the manufacturer.

As an example Søren has mentioned that there would be headers for sampling rate indicator LED's included in the production board. I can guess that it will be on the pre-soldered header (J4) or possibly J1, and I suppose I can sit there with a multimeter and test to see which pins change state with change of sampling rate.

On the other hand, Søren could publish this information, rather than making users guess at what features are implemented, which ones are coming soon, and which have been silently dropped.

cheers
Paul

Last edited:
The argument in defence of lack of a manual is circular.

1) There is no manual
2) People bombard Søren with build questions because there is no official documentation
3) Søren doesn't have time to write documentation because he is too busy answering questions
4) Go to step 1

Until Søren produces a manual he will be asked endless questions, simply because community produced documentation can only every be based on reactive responses to forum questions. It is not a replacement for product documentation from the manufacturer.

As an example Søren has mentioned that there would be headers for sampling rate indicator LED's included in the production board. I can guess that it will be on the pre-soldered header, and I suppose I can sit there with a multimeter and test to see which pins change state with change of sampling rate.

On the other hand, Søren could publish this information, rather than making users guess at what features are implemented, which ones are coming soon, and which have been silently dropped.

cheers
Paul

I can't disagree with any of that Paul. That's why I suggested that the release might have been better delayed, but we are where we are and that cannot now be undone. It would seem to be in everyone's interest to break that cycle by giving Soren some space rather than increasing the pressure on him.

Ray