Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz
Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 Khz
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2018, 01:49 PM   #7061
rickmcinnis is offline rickmcinnis  United States
diyAudio Member

i was wondering the same thing.

I will eventually get one of these and run it more normally than I did my first board! Will use regular supplies and dispense with the batteries. I think the batteries are superior but I do not want the hassle for what I suspect would now be a negligible difference.

I am curious about trying out the balanced configuration. But I have not read much user comments about this other than jjanssen's 1541 project and he did not go into much detail about differences between single ended and balanced.

Can anyone state what the audible difference would be?
Old 13th February 2018, 04:23 PM   #7062
JJansen is offline JJansen  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmcinnis View Post
i was wondering the same thing.

I will eventually get one of these and run it more normally than I did my first board! Will use regular supplies and dispense with the batteries. I think the batteries are superior but I do not want the hassle for what I suspect would now be a negligible difference.

I am curious about trying out the balanced configuration. But I have not read much user comments about this other than jjanssen's 1541 project and he did not go into much detail about differences between single ended and balanced.

Can anyone state what the audible difference would be?
Hello Rick, there are advantages of symmetric signal processing, but also disadvantage.
Advantages are the won 3dB, the double slew rate, the increased disturbance, the waiver of the mass during processing ...
Disadvantages are the significantly higher component costs, everything twice, the required accuracy of the lines ...
With a DAC of Soekris Quallity, without internal volume control, most of the benefits play a smaller role.
In the endfekt then decides the rest of the system which is "better", your amplifier favors symmetric signals should you offer him this, if not you will be just as happy with the asymmetrical version.

Greetings JJ
Old 13th February 2018, 04:25 PM   #7063
TNT is offline TNT  Sweden
diyAudio Member

No listening comparison/impressions?

I'm planning to do this but it may take a while...

//
Old 13th February 2018, 05:33 PM   #7064
zfe is offline zfe
diyAudio Member

@soekris

When measuring the DAM at the raw outputs I see in the spectrogram a (very) low level peak who's frequency wanders in a period of about 2 minutes in the range somewhere between 100Hz and 150Hz.

The peak only wanders if there is a "signal" (that is if there is an I2S input), otherwise it remains fixed.

The wandering is damped (third picture)

It seams to be independent of the played signal (third picture, playing silence as well as 1kHz).

The wandering amplitude gets less with higher sampling frequencies (second picture).

I first took it for an flaw of the ADC, but have now seen it again with an other ADC and only with the DAM connected.

Have you any idea what this could be ... some artifact of the fifo reclocking mechanism?? Not that it is, at this level, of any importance for the sound ... just curiosity.

The ADC sample rate is 192kHz, 0dB correspond to an input of 3,16VRMS.
The FFT is of length 2^17 with van Hann window.
The DAM is a 1021 rev1 connected with USB via an Amanero.

First picture (from bottom to top) player stopped, a 1kHz signal with fs=48kHz is played for about 2 minutes (recognizable at the white beam to the right), player stopped.
DAM 48 2^17.jpg
Second picture (from bottom to top) with pauses where player is stopped, a 1kHz signal with fs=48kHz , fs=96kHz fs=192kHz is played.
DAM 48 96 192.jpg
Third picture (from bottom to top) player stopped, silence is played, a 1kHz signal is played for a longer period, silence is played, player is stopped for an instant and silence is played.
DAM AT.jpg
Old 13th February 2018, 07:31 PM   #7065
diyAudio Member

zfe - do you live in 50 or 60 hz land? 50 I guess?

//
Old 13th February 2018, 07:32 PM   #7066
diyAudio Member

Clock/buffer solution... ? (no...)

//
Old 13th February 2018, 07:36 PM   #7067
zfe is offline zfe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
zfe - do you live in 50 or 60 hz land? 50 I guess?

//
50Hz, yes.
The DAM is powered AC, by a simple transformer.
Old 13th February 2018, 07:43 PM   #7068
diyAudio Member

Intriguing... you dont happen to have an s/pdif inlet?

//
Old 13th February 2018, 07:56 PM   #7069
zfe is offline zfe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Intriguing... you dont happen to have an s/pdif inlet?

//
Sure I'll see to test this tomorrow.
Old 13th February 2018, 08:29 PM   #7070
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'm trying to use a 1:1 transformer to connect a DAM to a nCORE 400. I get "static, noise hum" - low level, need to go up to speaker to hear it, and higher frequencies.

I just hooked it up floating using hot and cold leads. DAM in balanced mode / 1 channel per board.

May I hook up the the primary center-tap to ground on the DAM? Is there any DC level that could saturate my transformer?

//
Well there seem to be a 100mV change when I observe one of the halves going from DC to AC mode on the scope. So no trafo - at least not with a ground tied to a center-tap anyway. This was on a 1121.

//

Reference DAC Module - Discrete R-2R Sign Magnitude 24 bit 384 KhzHide this!Advertise here!